Hi all,

I am interested in the nRings from After Later Audio, but have struggled to find content on YT. Does anyone have experience with this module? Would you recommend it?

Thanks!

I'm looking at the same module. After Later Audio seems to make good products - at least I've never heard complaints. I was also looking at their Knit (Plaits clone) as well.

Good to hear from you. The reduced size and price make this one very appealing. I also looked at the Plaits clone, but the prices are very similar to the original in my country. All the best with your decision making.

apparently the build quality is very good, but...

Rings is notoriously hard to tune - even with full size pots & knobs - the trimmers that are used on the micro clones are very poor in terms of precision - so if being able to tune the module is important to you - and it may not be - then I'd steer clear

things to think about

reduced size = poor ergonomics & eurorack is already on the 'small side' - personally I prefer bigger modules with full size knobs - all my mutable modules are full size - either originals or DIY versions

support the original designer where possible = whilst micro cloning is not completely without effort, the much more effort went into the original design - not only the hardware, but the firmware

support = can't comment on support from cloners, but Emilie is fantastic at support!

price = are you really saving that much - mostly it seems to be a good night out on the beer... so in the big scheme of things it doesn't seem like that big a deal to buy an original to me over a cheaper clone, especially if originals are still available!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Personally I do not like the miniature versions. For the reasons Jim mentioned.

Thanks for your detailed reply, Jim.

That's interesting to hear your feedback on the Rings tuning issue. I have been messing around in VCV 2 with Rings, but have yet to notice that issue. I presume I am far from utilizing the module to its full potential.

I appreciate your other points regarding the ergonomics and supporting the manufacturer. Basically, I already plan on purchasing Plaits and Beads, but have very limited $ and physical space for a bigger case. The ability to process sound in Rings still seems like a winner.

BTW Do you have a YouTube channel or Instagram related to your modular system? I learn a lot from your posts on the MG forums and would like to support.

Thanks again.
Ian

I have a nano Rings, it's not the one from After Later Audio, although mine has the same dimensions and layout.

The obvious difference is the size of the module and the knobs. In my opinion, the knobs are still okay to twist in a live jam to make it sound more or less 'big', achieved by modulating brightness (BRT on the nRings panel) and damp (DMP on the nRings). I do need to mention that my nRings is quite on the right side in my case, which makes it easier to access these controls. It would be more cramped if you put for example a mult or mixer to the right of the nRings, or any other module with a lot of sockets on the outer left of the panel. So some planning in this is advised.

The original Rings (and most clones I guess) are difficult to tune while jamming, as mentioned by Jim. This is because both the frequency and shape knob influence the tuning. There are some blogs/videos online on how to make this process more easy, Lightbath seems to have a good one I believe. I guess tunig is more difficult with the smaller freq/shape knobs. I don't have the original rings to compare, but if you tune it beforehand with some explanation nearby it's not impossible. However if you intend to change the shape while making music with it, go for the original rings.

(off-topic; I once saw a post somewhere with a modified version of the Rings firmware, which sort-of fixes that turning the shape knob makes it go out of tune. Haven't been able to find it since. If someone has a link to it, please let me know!)

Ey, i have one.. build quality is ace!
but have to agree to all the comments on the size, and looking into upgrading to an original one in the long run.
(Choose for the nano to begin with because I had a smaller case and wanted to fit in 'enough' modules)

Thanks for your detailed reply, Jim.

That's interesting to hear your feedback on the Rings tuning issue. I have been messing around in VCV 2 with Rings, but have yet to notice that issue. I presume I am far from utilizing the module to its full potential.

I appreciate your other points regarding the ergonomics and supporting the manufacturer. Basically, I already plan on purchasing Plaits and Beads, but have very limited $ and physical space for a bigger case. The ability to process sound in Rings still seems like a winner.

BTW Do you have a YouTube channel or Instagram related to your modular system? I learn a lot from your posts on the MG forums and would like to support.

Thanks again.
Ian
-- djidmusic1

Thanks Ian...
I have:
instagram - but I don't post much music there - mostly modular video synthesis - same name as here
soundcloud - latest 4 are modular - the rest are pre-modular from years ago mostly reason - same name as here
I'm on the modulargrid best of 2020 on bandcamp - it's one of the 4 modular tunes on soundcloud though

I'm currently working on new music, which I'll release eventually

Jim

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thanks for your thoughts dubstepjoris and TOMMI001. I just heard that Rings has been discontinued, so I might try to pick up the original while I still can. After picking up Plaits and Beads, I now realize that I have real pieces of art in my hands. I will stick with the originals while I can:)

Thanks for that, Jim. I really enjoyed checking out your videos on Instagram.

while I would agree that having the original ESPECIALLY if its going to be discontinued is a better choice may I point this module

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/st-modular-yaksha-s-fate

I have it and its nice for what it is. According to its blurb its setup in such a way that all “tweakable” parameters are on top
with bigger knobs etc have all others that will affect tune and harmonics more subdued.

I mainly use my uRings clone for either percussion or non-melodic cases where tuning etc doesnt matter much

Anyway just wanted to offer another module to have a look.. to be frank though I would prefer at this point a full sized one and will at some point try to procure one.

I've been looking at the Rangoon from Calsynth,
it's converted to sliders for most controls, same form factor as a Monsoon.
may help with tuning stability/ not nudging the tuning out of place

while I would agree that having the original ESPECIALLY if its going to be discontinued is a better choice may I point this module

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/st-modular-yaksha-s-fate

I have it and its nice for what it is. According to its blurb its setup in such a way that all “tweakable” parameters are on top
with bigger knobs etc have all others that will affect tune and harmonics more subdued.

I mainly use my uRings clone for either percussion or non-melodic cases where tuning etc doesnt matter much

Anyway just wanted to offer another module to have a look.. to be frank though I would prefer at this point a full sized one and will at some point try to procure one.
-- mamonu

Thanks for that. In the end, I went for the OG and couldn't be happier. That said, I'm still on the look out for a smaller rings clone for a portable skiff. Did you pick up the original? How's it working out for you? Cheers

I've been looking at the Rangoon from Calsynth,
it's converted to sliders for most controls, same form factor as a Monsoon.
may help with tuning stability/ not nudging the tuning out of place
-- fretless19

Thanks for that - looks like an interesting option.