Very nice! The only thing I think you'll find your going to need is more VCA mods. Otherwise, live the dream with this!

Hey sorry I lost original post trying to edit it.
See the OP here.

ModularGrid Rack

Hi there, this is my current modular setup. Would love to hear someone elses thoughts, what I could be missing, could have done differently, better or any cool patch ideas that someone may think of with a setup. your feedback is very welcome.

I will say I put together the setup with as much research as I could do without getting excited and adding to the list of must have modules. But I know with the modular world it seems there can always be more precaution. So far I am pretty happy with this unit.

Cheers!

More VCA mode, I wil definitely look into when I get more familiar with their use, the Tangle Quartet is on the way in the post.

Several observations...first up, put the Lifeforms SV-1 back in its case. This seems to be a common issue when people get patchables that can be put into a Eurorack cab. Well, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Right now, that one "module" (which it's not...it's actually a patchable standalone synth) is taking up 48 hp that modules which DON'T have power or housing should be in.

Second...you can guess where this is going...VCAs!!!! Sure, there's a Tangle Quartet there...but you need to remember that it's populated with linear VCAs. For audio, as a rule you want exponential VCAs, as our sense of hearing perceives apparent loudness on an exponential (the Decibel curve) curve. Keep the TQ...you'll want it as a dedicated modulation VCA for controlling modulation amplitudes. But for the AUDIO...get a Veils or something rather like it.

Third: submixers. This is another "utility" that is pretty necessary. Or they would be, but there's not enough...

Fourth: modulation sources. This is something that even the SV-1 is lacking in. Aside of it, there's no LFOs here, only one (ADSR) EG, and so on when you take the SV-1 out of the equation. And by using submixing specifically for modulation (see these examples: Tiptop MISO, Frap's 321, and the like), you can take a handful of mod sources and "create more". Add VCAs to this, and then you've got a serious modulation section.

Lastly, the SOMA Lyra-8 delay is neat, to be sure...but it's also pretty huge, and in a small build like this one, it's critical that you condense things down so that you can have an ample complement of functions. If you can do the same sort of thing in 10 or 12 hp, that's more advisable, since you can probably emulate the sound of the Lyra-8 delay by other means.

Now, one thing that IS right in here is the use of the Malekko sequencing system. Sure, it also takes up a chunk of room...but it's justified here due to the tons of functions that the Voltage Block and Varigate 4+ bring to the table. One thing I'd suggest, then, would be to extend the Malekko "environment" so that you can have it "memorize" your critical settings. For example, they've got the solution for your LFO shortage in their Quad LFO...which ALSO connects to the Varigate 4+ to give you four "hot" memories for LFO behavior. Frankly, I'd also suggest adding the Varigate 8+; when you look here: https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/varigate-8/ you can see how potent that ecosystem is.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

True that, The further LFOs are going to be provided by the Pamelas new Workout. While more VCAs, I guess is the obvious improvement, once I figure out how to implement them and their true potential (Im new to the format) I will also be a believer of the never enough VCA belief system.

I agree about the Pittsburgh complete system, I guess it was the first part of the rack due to it being a semi modular, and a way to dip my toe into the format. For now it provides a number of functions and when I can afford I can see your logic to replacing it with a more feature filled use of HP.

Thanks for your help!