Well - I've finally decided to try this.
I've started by getting an Intelligel 4U 62HP case.
I've watch a many videos and played with VCV Rack to start getting an idea on where to go with this build. One of the things I've noted form other videos and builders is the suggestion to gear the rack for a particular sound or target output. To that end I've decided to attempt a Kraftwerk sound.
I want to have good filters, several LFOs and at least two VCOs. I've heard more than once you can't have too many VCAs, but the case is limited for a reason to 62HP... that being = I don't wan't to get carried away with the first try...

I'll update as time permits.

atomkey.

I will be in contradiction with most suggestions on this forum but anyway...

Buy a smaller case

I will be in contradiction with most suggestions on this forum but anyway...

Buy a smaller case
-- defragmenteur

Or just get one of Syinsi's tile-only cases...

Eh. It was the smallest one I saw. I could always just duct tape a few modules together minding nothing gets grounded out.

Or just get one of Syinsi's tile-only cases...

-- Lugia

I looked at that after I saw the post. https://syinsi.com/shop/specials/5u-case-custom/

That's completely new to me man. It looks like you get kind of locked into their design form factor, etc...

I get the sarcasm now.
Completed with this size case, it's obvious that unless you want to do one thing... you need much more real estate.

I get the sarcasm now.
Completed with this size case, it's obvious that unless you want to do one thing... you need much more real estate.
-- atomkey

yeah - it's our native language round here!!!

all those youtube influencers are deceptive - most of them have massive cases - pull a few modules out to demo with a specific patch in cases they were given by the manufacturers

they are great as 'mission specific' satellite cases - but near useless as starter cases - unless you want to copy a specific patch from an influencer and only do that - which kind of defeats the idea of modular!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

yeah - it's our native language round here!!!
they are great as 'mission specific' satellite cases - but near useless as starter cases - unless you want to copy a specific patch from an influencer and only do that - which kind of defeats the idea of modular!!
-- JimHowell1970
Well, for all my work and research there's no teacher like experience. I've all but decided to get a larger case. At the same time there is this fringe addiction forming that I have to curtail now before it gets out of hand. I certainly don't want a wall covered in modules. But I will go there if I'm not cautious of the draw already.

It has taken some time to figure out how to get tonal rhythms out of the euclidean circles without the help of a midi style quantizer that can hold notes for me. I finally managed a patch that was pseudo decent. But I have to have something that will let me cycle through at least 16 steps with assigned notes. That means a larger case, and if I'm going to do that I might as well throw in another oscillator, kick, snare, echo, delay, etc. Ugh.

Let it stop with that.
Atomket.

Well, for all my work and research there's no teacher like experience. I've all but decided to get a larger case. At the same time there is this fringe addiction forming that I have to curtail now before it gets out of hand. I certainly don't want a wall covered in modules. But I will go there if I'm not cautious of the draw already.

It has taken some time to figure out how to get tonal rhythms out of the euclidean circles without the help of a midi style quantizer that can hold notes for me. I finally managed a patch that was pseudo decent. But I have to have something that will let me cycle through at least 16 steps with assigned notes. That means a larger case, and if I'm going to do that I might as well throw in another oscillator, kick, snare, echo, delay, etc. Ugh.

Let it stop with that.
Atomket.

-- atomkey

you may not want a wall full of modules - but you may find you need one!!!

what exactly do you mean by 'get tonal rhythms out of euclidean circles'?

do you mean melody? - I'd suspect that is really bloody difficult considering that euclidean circles is a trigger sequencer and as such does not sequence pitch...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

what exactly do you mean by 'get tonal rhythms out of euclidean circles'?

do you mean melody? - I'd suspect that is really bloody difficult considering that euclidean circles is a trigger sequencer and as such does not sequence pitch...

-- JimHowell1970

What Jim said ;-)

I do, you can, use Euclidean patterns to drive other things that create pitch.... send those Euclid triggers to an Arpeggiator or other pitch sequencer, even send them to a Turing machine + Quantizer or Marbles etc. You can dial in different patterns on the Euclidean or control those via CV for always evolving patterns.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

What Jim said ;-)

I do, you can, use Euclidean patterns to drive other things that create pitch.... send those Euclid triggers to an Arpeggiator or other pitch sequencer, even send them to a Turing machine + Quantizer or Marbles etc. You can dial in different patterns on the Euclidean or control those via CV for always evolving patterns.

-- wishbonebrewery

exactly - I don't have euclidean circles - but that's what I'd do with it if I had one!

You can convert triggers from Euclidean Circle to gates of different length with the disting H-6 algo. Use an LFO to control the length of gates.