Folks,

I'm new to Eurorack and am planning my first purchases. I am thinking of getting a Mantis case and four modules to start (I find constraints helpful).

I'd like to have system that is (i) immediately capable of generating sounds on its own and (ii) affords me ample learning opportunities. Eventually, I am interested in building out the rack and adding a complex oscillator, but would like to explore the Cloud Terrarium first (and also add some more modulation sources/utilities).

Any thoughts or opinions about this start would be greatly appreciated!

alt text

Link: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1808557.jpg

It's a hard question, what to start with. What is a minimum viable synth that is fun enough that you won't be disappointed and sell the whole thing in frustration.

Key is versatility I guess.
I don't know Permutation but instead of that I'd recommend Pamela's New Workout. It can generate gates (logic, euclidean, random etc), CVs (also quantised, random, looped random etc), clocked modulation, simple envelopes, LFOs, random stuff on 8 channels. It's great to start out with and it remains great in a big system.

I suppose you saw/heard Cloud Terrarium online and you like how it sounds. I think there is nothing wrong with going ahead and getting it if you can afford it. I think it's important that you find your modules exciting.

Instead of the Mix3 get an output module that has a built in mixer, like 4ms Listen Four. You need to attenuate Eurorack levels to line levels, and maybe you'd like to attach headphones. Get a submixer once you have more voices. Mixing CVs is also important, but Maths will help with that too. For later check out Happy Nerding 3xMIA:

Maths is great to start out with and remains great as your system grows. It can even be used as dual analog oscillators that can also track V/Oct to some extent in the lower frequency spectrum.

I love effects, get a Happy Nerding FX Aid (maybe XL) if your budget allows. Filters are also great but you can start without one. You can even create filter-like effects with Maths.

Mantis is a good choice as a case!

Edit: almost forgot, you will need a VCA from the beginning. Without one, you will only be able to make drones. Get one with variable response curves (exponential for audio, linear for CV). Mutable Instruments Veils or Intellijel Quad VCA is generally recommended.

Also, if you have other hardware, like a drum machine, find a way to connect them to your modular. For MIDI there are many modules, like the Mutant Brain. For connecting to a DAW the Expert Sleepers ES-8 or ES-9 might be the best, but there are other options too.

I would start with a more traditional setup to start.
1) VCO's, one or two to start, analogue or digital. With more than one, you can stack and cross modulate. I would also get a noise source. Make Noise STO is great, flexible and reasonably priced.
2) Filter, many different styles, low-pass to start but there are many multi-mode filters that do lowpass/ bandpass/ highpass simultaneously. Modulation of a filter can make your system sound like two or three simultaneous instruments.
3) VCA, I second MI Veils and Intellijel Quad VCA. WMD has the Javelin which is a full ADSR with integrated VCA and separate envelope output (great 'bang for the buck').
4) Function generator, Rise/ Fall will do envelopes on a one-shot basis or will loop as an LFO. Maths is great as is Intellijel Quadrax (4 rise/ fall, but no mix and Or/ Sum/ Inv).
5) Output module, L/R 1/4" Stereo out + 1/4" Headphone Jack (you need a means of listening to your results and get them out of the box if that is your intent). I have a WMD and Befaco but there are many others.
6) Additional modulation: Random generators, Touring Machine is great. Sample and hold (often good for a noise source as well).
7) FX. It may seem like a luxury to start but a nice reverb or delay can makes things sound huge and otherworldly. I second FX Aid as a start.
8) Mixers are important but you have only two signals to mix in your current setup. I use Befaco STMix for submitting as it will mix 4+1 stereo signals (or mono normal to both channels) and is DC coupled and will mix CV. There are many others.
9) General utility, Multiples (buffered? or not), attenuators (Synth Tech modules have onboard attenuation so perhaps not as big a deal to start),
Synthesis Technology E352 Cloud Terrarium probably wouldn't be my first choice to start but if you want to go that direction, what ever will keep you motivated and interested is important. Mantis case is a great start. Good luck!

Floored by the kind and detailed responses; thanks to both of you! An adjustment follows below (with optional FX...):

alt text

To Chinipira:

What is a minimum viable synth that is fun enough that you won't be disappointed and sell the whole thing in frustration.

You summarize well my initial objective!

I don't know Permutation but instead of that I'd recommend Pamela's New Workout.

Pam is indeed on my radar. I suppose it has more functionality, which should be a priority at this point. Still on the fence.

I love effects, get a Happy Nerding FX Aid (maybe XL) if your budget allows. Filters are also great but you can start without one. You can even create filter-like effects with Maths.

Good idea about the effects (though +1 module). My thoughts exactly on the filter.

Also, if you have other hardware, like a drum machine, find a way to connect them to your modular. For MIDI there are many modules, like the Mutant Brain. For connecting to a DAW the Expert Sleepers ES-8 or ES-9 might be the best, but there are other options too.

I do have an MPC 2000XL lying around... eventually will connect it to the modular. Trying to stay off the computer.

To bopodoq:

3) VCA, I second MI Veils and Intellijel Quad VCA. WMD has the Javelin which is a full ADSR with integrated VCA and separate envelope output (great 'bang for the buck').

There appears to be strong consensus to have a quad VCA and a separate output module. I have made that adjustment, even though it breaks my 4 module constraint.

To both of you:
With respect to the Cloud Terrarium, I am not dogmatic and indeed followed uninhibited excitement on this one. While seemingly controversial, I like the screen. The 4ms Ensemble Oscillator also interested me. A complex oscillator like an Odessa/Endorphin.es Furthrrr/etc appears to afford more functionality though, and can implement some of the ideas suggested by bopodoq.

This is enough to start with without frustrating you, even without the FX Aid. The pitch sequencing options on Pam's are relatively simple but work for exploration. When considering a complex oscillator (or even a simpler one), think about what kinds of modulation it might need, and how you plan to provide it.

plragde,

Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I appreciate the guide you have written, as well.

Here’s how I ultimately went (the quad VCA goes into an external mixer for now):

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks again for all the help!

I hope you're enjoying the Brenso. It's a lovely module.