I've got 8hp left in my rack for reverb. I could pull a couple 2hp modules that get little use to make 12hp happen if need be. I play around with the psy ambient, droney, lo-fi, spacey stuff and want huge reverb. Can I get that in a 12hp module? I've been looking at TipTop Zverb but I'm open to whatever. Does it make more sense to buy the module or run everything through an external effects unit like Strymon Nightsky or Big Sky?

ModularGrid Rack

The Happy Nerding FX Aid XL would likely have everything you need in 6hp. Tons of great reverb algorithms.

• 1 for FX Aid XL - more variety - same software platform as the ZVerb

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Another suggestion, more limited, would be Frequency Central's Stasis Leak. Reverb, chorus, tap delay in 6 hp. However, the Stasis Leak is set up with a mono-in/stereo-out architecture, so it can also do double duty as a stereoizing module.

Perhaps a send/return module like the knob.farm Ferry (4hp, $140) and a really good external pedal? If reverb is really important to you, I don't think in-rack effects match the quality of external ones yet, with the possible exception of the Strymon modules. If you have anything besides modular that you might also want to use effects with (other fixed-architecture synths, guitar, etc.) that tips the balance further.

Another suggestion, more limited, would be Frequency Central's Stasis Leak. Reverb, chorus, tap delay in 6 hp. However, the Stasis Leak is set up with a mono-in/stereo-out architecture, so it can also do double duty as a stereoizing module.
-- Lugia

a lot of the fx aid algos also have mono in/stereo out and do the stereoizing thing

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Perhaps a send/return module like the knob.farm Ferry (4hp, $140) and a really good external pedal? If reverb is really important to you, I don't think in-rack effects match the quality of external ones yet, with the possible exception of the Strymon modules. If you have anything besides modular that you might also want to use effects with (other fixed-architecture synths, guitar, etc.) that tips the balance further.
-- plragde

Can this be done with the Doepfer A-138o? I have only used it as an aux for modules in the past.

I think Desmodus Versio is that dimension? I have this module but flashed the firmware to something else. Personally found it too wild, but maybe it will work well for you

I think Desmodus Versio is that dimension? I have this module but flashed the firmware to something else. Personally found it too wild, but maybe it will work well for you
-- kiunthmo

I cross-posted this to Reddit and the consensus was largely Desmodus Versio. I ordered one and we'll see how it goes.

Can this be done with the Doepfer A-138o? I have only used it as an aux for modules in the past.
-- isolatediguana

I don't know if the A-138o (with the A-138p) has sufficient gain for external return. Doepfer's documentation is not very clear on this point. I suspect something like the A-119 Ext. In is needed.

I just ordered a Versio as well (Melotus, but I plan to flash Desmodus and Electus to try them out) but for more intrusive or modulated effects. If I want a quality blackhole or shimmer, I will still go to an external pedal.

Another suggestion, more limited, would be Frequency Central's Stasis Leak. Reverb, chorus, tap delay in 6 hp.
-- Lugia

Plus one for the stasis leak. The ability to use a "real" external reverb tank (I have a few from old Fender amps) is nice, and the digital units you can add provide small, medium, and large space reverb which is also very handy. And yes, I did a build and demo video on this for any DIY'ers who might be interested.
Stasis Leak Build

Strymon have just released Starlab, which is basically a Big Sky in modular form. It's bigger and more expensive than most options, but good reverb is worth the footprint really.

this user has left ModularGrid

I've really liked the FXAID serie, I got both the "normal" and the XL. I did a long video of all the reverbs, just follow the link if interested. In another hand, I really love the Context V2, it has a input that can be used for CV modulation of any parameters. And it sounds magic.

fxaid reverbs :

test of the Context V2 :

-- isolatediguana

I don't know if the A-138o (with the A-138p) has sufficient gain for external return. Doepfer's documentation is not very clear on this point. I suspect something like the A-119 Ext. In is needed.

I just ordered a Versio as well (Melotus, but I plan to flash Desmodus and Electus to try them out) but for more intrusive or modulated effects. If I want a quality blackhole or shimmer, I will still go to an external pedal.

-- plragde

i can tell you now its not got enough gain to do this. i had this setup, doepfer a138 p & o, with alm busy circuits external guitar pedal interface @ 4hp - SBG. that did the trick.

+1 for FX Aid XL