I'm scratching my head as to how best fill the last 40hp - yes that seems a lot, but ....

Firstly, as you'll see in my rack I'm struggling with the end of chain, so I have (in my opinion) no choice but to add a mixer, and as you'll notice (bottom right) I'm planning in the next days to take the plunge and add what seems like the best option price/space/ins/outs/etc with the Cosmix. However, that still leaves 24hp.

So, as you'll see I've added a Soundforce Dual Filter, a VCA, and a Disting EX as a possibility. I'd be interested to know if people have some other 'combinations' they'd like to suggest for the 24hp? I've never had a Distings EX, but I thought this could be (like the Ornament and Crime, Temps Utile or the Twin Waves) a sort of Swiss Army Knife and a really good addition to the rack in a small space. It will provide me with many possibilities such as filters, VCAs, a sample player (very useful), etc. Maybe others will disagree, and have alternative suggestions I hope?

As for the final two pieces (everything is on the bottom right), you'll see that I went for the option of the Dual Filter (because it has plenty of possibilities, and I enjoyed DivKids video), and the MRG VCA is just there, because at the time I was doing this I thought another VCA might be useful.

So, I'd love some help in trying to find a good and useful combination to compliment the rest of my rack - which i'm pretty happy with - changes can always be made, as we all know.

Here's my rack for you to get a better idea visually of what I'm talking about (all the modules I mention are on the bottom right):
ModularGrid Rack

Thanks in advance.

please post a link to the actual rack - copy and paste the url

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

please post a link to the actual rack - copy and paste the url
-- JimHowell1970

Sorry Jim, I posted the jpg link without looking.

Hi joesh. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? What sort of music are you making? Do you have any other external gear?

Hi joesh. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? What sort of music are you making? Do you have any other external gear?
-- farkas

Yes, sorry I forgot to say - off screen - there's a Deluge for triggering and sequencing, a Pittsburgh Mod SV-1b, a 0-Coast and also a DS Rev2 which I can trigger via midi using the Deluge.

As to what do I hope to accomplish, the answer is 'I don't know'. Everything I do tends to be improvised, I guess a little along the lines of someone like Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe (if that doesn't sound to pretentious on my part) who just plugs in and works something out and hopes to mould and sculpt it into a piece with form. As for what does it sound like, here's a Soundcloud link if you fancy having a listen: https://soundcloud.com/joehigham

I'd consider going with a tesseract modular tex-mix (reasonably priced and expandable) instead of the cosmix - and some blind panels - and put the money you save towards the next case - then there's no issue with only having a few hp to fill... you'll have lots of space, so can get whatever modules you want no matter the size... at least for a while!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I'd consider going with a tesseract modular tex-mix (reasonably priced and expandable) instead of the cosmix - and some blind panels - and put the money you save towards the next case - then there's no issue with only having a few hp to fill... you'll have lots of space, so can get whatever modules you want no matter the size... at least for a while!
-- JimHowell1970

Nice, you reminded me of the Tex-Mix, thanks, I had that on a list from Mod Wiggler, but had forgotten. As for the idea of leaving the rest empty, I'll definitely think about that, although to a certain extent I'm hoping to be portable (not too big/many cases).

Just for the info, I have an empty (if you can believe it) 104hp case - with power supply etc - which was the first case I bought and built/filled.

NP - what's that case a mantis? - you should be able to carry 3 reasonably easily - 1 on your back and 1 in each hand... at least for shortish distances! hahahaha...