Im a bit stumped as to how I should be patching the neutron whilst mounted in my system, in order to have a default signal path that includes the vcf. I'm trying to work out if I have a faulty unit, as vca-vcf-output exhibits strange behaviour, seemingly being influenced/influencing the lfo. Does anyone have any experience with a racked neutron, and any tips regarding where I may be going wrong in terms of path? Sorry for the noobery but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

I don't have a neutron but...

the normalised (default) path should be something like vco -> sub-mixer -> vca -> vcf or vc0 -> sub-mixer -> vcf -> vca

saying that the obvious place to take your output from is the output labelled 'output'...

where are you trying to take your signal from?

maybe check the cutoff on the vcf...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi QuirrelJibbly,

It shouldn't matter if you use your Neutron in its own casing or in a Eurorack casing. Of course you need to check that the power cable has been connected correctly on both ends i.e. on the module/Neutron itself as well as at the bus board. If I remember well then the Neutron has a boxed pin header so there the problem shouldn't occur however if you have a non-boxed pin header bus board, then there you have to be careful.

Other than that, the Neutron should just work in your rack. Keep in mind that it takes 1 A or 1000 mA from your +12 V power supply so make sure that you have that power available. So perhaps to get started put the Neutron back in its own casing and try to use the outputs VCF1 and VCA, they should work properly. Once that works fine and you are still convinced that you want to rack your Neutron in a Eurorack case instead of in its own case, then transfer it to the Eurorack. If it then doesn't work any more then there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. So either you wrongly connected the power cable or you are beyond your maximum power consumption for the +12 V!

Good luck with the troubleshooting and please let us know how it goes. Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I believe by default the LFO modulates the filter frequency if the "mod depth" knob is turned up, and also is routed through ATT 2 to the pulse width modulation inputs for both oscillators, so I would look at where the mod depth knob and ATT 2 knob are set, and turn both of them all the way down to simplify things at first.