I'm looking at various options for Quad VCAs (or similar VCAs in 8hp or under - as an example Happy Nerding's 3 x VCA). Anyhow, I saw the Malekko Quad VCA (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/malekko-heavy-industry-quad-vca-black-panel) which looks really interesting but I can't seem to find much feedback from people about this module. The only thing that comes up is that Malekko, as a company, isn't very user friendly in replying to peoples mails.

So, if you see this thread, and have the module, maybe you can tell me what you think?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I forgot to say, the black panel isn't of any importance - can be silver.

I can recommend the veils vca

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

yeah - veils is great - and mutable product support is outstanding - unfortunately it's 10hp - so 2hp over what the OP wants - but probably worth making the space for!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

You could get two Antumbra DVCAs and chain them together with the jumpers on the back, that's Veils in 8hp

The newer Veils or two chained Antumbra DVCAs would be my choice as well (and is, I have them both).

You could get two Antumbra DVCAs and chain them together with the jumpers on the back, that's Veils in 8hp
-- milkmilklemonade

Nice idea. If you chain them, since they'd be 4 VCAs does that make them cascade to the next input (etc)?

The outputs don't go to the next input, rather they are mixed with the next output if unpatched.

The outputs don't go to the next input, rather they are mixed with the next output if unpatched.
-- adaris

important distinction!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

-- adaris

Yuppers...it's called a "breakable mixbus". For example, you can input signals and have the module do the mixing, or you could break out two on each side to have dual 2-1 mixers for stereo. And so on...

Also, what exactly are these VCAs destined to do? There's two types, linear and exponential, and they're VERY different. Linear VCAs are for modulation, etc as they deal with control voltages in a linear fashion. But exponential VCAs are for audio, since these behave in a similar exponential manner with how we perceive loudness...like the Decibel scale, each time you go up by 1V, your level changes x10. Plus, there's DC-coupled and AC-coupled. If you're aiming to control the amplitude of signals below the range of human hearing and down to DC, you have to have DC coupling. But having DC-coupled VCAs in the AUDIO path can be potentially problematic...as in, if some DC offset goes thru the outputs of the synth, into your amp, and into the monitors. At that point, your monitors are 100% DONE if that offset level's hot enough. AC-coupled VCAs, however, won't do this as they have a frequency limitation. Hitting an exponential VCA with a DC offset in the audio signal should result in...well, nothing as far as that offset's concerned.

I wouldn't go with the Malekko. I bought one and had issues with bleed. I ended up returning it and going with the ALM Tangle Quartet, which is 8HP.