Hello friends.

If you would be so kind as to take a look at this horror I've been cooking up and judge me:

ModularGrid Rack

My lack of filters is where I'm hoping most of my mistakes are, and that you can help solve this!

Thank you for your time and patience from myself and all fellow newbs who post their mistakes here.

Filter? Well, if you're in a situation where the build's only got room for one, this is probably the one you're looking for: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tiptop-audio-forbidden-planet .

It's a clone of the Steiner-Parker Synthacon's multimode filter. And take it from someone who had a Synthacon for a number of years: if you can only have ONE VCF in your system, this is one to have. Bass ranges pound via the LP input, and the bandpass and HP inputs are capable of yowling leads that will cut through most anything. And it's cheap, too...$120. Fits right in that 8 hp hole.

virtually no utilties -how are you mixing?

plaits has a filter built in... although there's no harm putting it through another one to warm it up/darken it a bit

I'd go for a bigger case, either 9u or 104hp, or both, if you want all these modules - just to add a selection of utilities - see my signature!!!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks again for taking a look.

Firstly. I’m an idiot. I set my case size to 84, but have a 104hp case. I was building it this way on the site to try and rein myself in. Kind of like setting your watch 10mins fast so you won’t be late.

I thought I put it back to 104 before posting but failed. I’ve switched it back. So there is some space to play with.

Lugia - Thanks for the filter advice, ill check it out!

Jim - I thought that QSM would cover me for mixing. I’ll re-investigate.

I’ve read a lot of the replies you give on other beginner’s rack attempts and I know you consistently quote your signature. I guess (like all beginners it seems) I didn’t pick enough utility. I’ll continue the search.
The question of “Which utilities = more utilities” is something I find quite tough to answer.