Hi everyone,

I see some names that were really helpful with the new eurorack users, seeking that I will try to extract some good info if it's possible.

Keep in mind I'm just posting now with not much knowledge because I manage to re-book a trip to the USA (it was cancelled due to covid in May 2020), so I have 1 month to decide what to buy.

I'm from South America, so it's really hard to find and buy modules (just to note, the biggest social media marketplace for eurorack modules in my country has 400 people). Happily, we have locally a great builder and engineer, Vinicius from Vinicius elektric - https://viniciuselectrik.com/, and I ordered a Lizard system and some extra modules with him. Unfortunately, he had some problems and delayed almost 8 months (I didn't receive yet). I'm just with the Clock divider, Expert sleepers ES-9 and the eurorack level to line level converter (to plug my guitar).

I'm playing with VCV RACK for one year now, it's great, but it's too easy to over do the modules by the lack of limitations, so I don't feel comfortable to decide alone the new stuff.

Some modules from Vinicius weren't available, so I traded for a "similar": Level Fixit (mine will have a 4 channel attenuinverter), nw2sm (a simple multi), ADDAC200PI (the eurorack to line level for instruments) and RING (to be honest Vinicius insisted that this will be worth, and I don't really know the HP size and all the feature's haha).

From what I understand, I have a really solid voice, great modulation possibilities with the LFO and others, some white noise and plenty of possibilities to sequence and process with the ES9. I don't have any problem to be in front of the pc or use it to make music, to be honest I enjoy too. The question is, where to go from here... I feel that I have 3 alternatives:
1) I really enjoy random triggered sample sound, white noises, drums, crazy tempos most focused on percussion sounds. But I don't really know if it's possible in such small frame. Maybe a Pamela's new workout with a sample loader.
2) Advance the 1 great voice that I have with more utilities and modulations.
3) Get some "tactile" modules to play, some hands on action would be really cool. Kind of use a fraction of it to "perform" live.

I feel bad to post such a vague post, but I just can't handle the overload of possibilities to buy in the USA, how the hell you people decide with such a crazy amount of stuff hahaha

I'm looking for help not to choose the modules but if the options I described are valid, which one is the most logical and possible one... if nothing is correct in your view, maybe give a hint to where should I look for.

My budget, it's between $1.000 to +/-$1.500.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules_racks/data_sheet/1861530
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1861530.jpg

It's good that you have a local manufacturer that you can support and get advice from, but unfortunate that you still don't have the main components of your system. The shortages affecting them are worldwide, and even in the US, there is a fair amount of frustration over availability.

I think that each of your three possibilities is valid, but they are all quite different, and it's not going to be easy to choose between them (probably impossible for us, but even difficult for you). It's hard to know how to expand or augment a system when you don't have any experience with it to know what you might feel is lacking.

I also understand that this is a purchasing opportunity that you may not have again for a while. One way out of the bind could be to try to get some modules on this trip that you could start using immediately on returning home. That rules out (2). You could combine (1) and (3), by getting Pam's, a sample player, and something "tactile" (and, depending on budget, something more to support those). You could get some experience with those, and they would not be rendered superfluous by the Lizard system arriving.

Thank you for your time, I spent some days trying to figure it out.

I'm thinking in pair a pamelas work out with a Squid Sample, thinking in sample audio on the fly, sending audio from Expert sleepers ES-9, direct to the Squid sample and later play with pamelas. To me, sounds good in paper and uses so little HP for a sample player and record.

Anyone has experience with this kind o sampler usage, it's necessary to think in a mixer or other utilities?? Which ones you think it's the worthiest? In my head, I will be mixing using the inputs of ES-9.

I will be left with 43 HP.

I have not used a Salmple but what I've read about it has been positive. You will eventually want a mixer but you have that in your Lizard system, eventually, so you shouldn't buy another one now. The Salmple has mixed pairs output and an all-mix output. You can set individual channel playback levels and put an AD envelope on. It will be a bit menu-divey so eventually you will want external mixing with knobs, but for a starting configuration I think it is all right. Pam's will provide enough modulation to start, also. Have you thought more about what "tactile" module you might like?

Have you thought more about what "tactile" module you might like?
-- plragde

That's the next step, 30 HP to finish this madness... the good part is that i only have 1 month to the trip and won't be able to change too much.

Thinking better maybe it will fit nicely a reverb+delay compact module.

To be honest i need to read more, i don't really know right now so i won't take your time.

I really appriciatte your time, even so won't solve the problem, thinking and write about it, clear alot of my thought process.

Hi everyone, can I get some help.

I already bought the Pamela's + Squid sample. The rest is in the wishlist.

I finished the first part:
- Put a INJCTR + 2hp MMF to plug my guitar and envelope
- PNW + SQUIDSample + Low pass gate = combo sample + percussion

I'm between a joystick or another voice. Feel bad to have such a rack and have a direct 1 voice.

Anyone with more experience can say an opinion if it's possible to fit another voice, which modules should I look for?

Looks like I have a decent amount of Attenuator, one VCF for the first voice and one for guitar envelope, 3 LFOs with a multi sounds good enough, 2 adsr looks ok and just 2 simple VCA . With what I read, to complete a ''simple'' new voice, I would need a small VCO, more VCAs and a filter.

ModularGrid Rack

A reasonable rule of thumb (not to be taken strictly) is one voice per row. I would count the Salmple as more than one voice, though it's hard to put a precise number to it. The Lizard VCO is another. Do you need more than that? If so, maybe consider the Noise Reap Paradox and the WMD C4RBN. I have read that Optomix is difficult to get hold of these days...

make noise appear to have just shipped some optomix...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi Warmofada,

Sorry to hear that the availability of Eurorack modules is such an issue for you, where you live, though Plragde is right that every where the availability of items is getting an issue.

I know you mentioned your available budget of 1 till 1.5k (which is a bit too less by the way for Eurorack), I still would like to advise you to go at least for a 3 row-rack casing if you didn't bought the casing yet, rather buy a larger rack with a fewer modules to start with than when in the near future you realise that you need more HP space, which will happen, guaranteed! ;-)

It's very difficult to advise on which modules you should take. You are totally right, the current choice of modules, though huge, it's crazy, it's close to impossible to have a good view of what is on the market and what fits one wishes, requirements, not even mentioning to make a "good" (what is good?) choice out of such a huge assortment of possible modules. I made myself a list of about 2500 modules over the last 3 years or so to try to stay focused on what I feel is kind of interesting, 2500 modules! That's crazy... out of that list of 2500 I feel it's a nightmare to make the right choice, so sometimes if I am too lazy to choose between two modules, I just take them both ;-) Then still 2498 modules left to choose from the next time... however every year so many new modules are produced that one year later there are 2698 modules to choose from, etcetera...

Here in modulargrid.net are currently a little 9700 modules listed, that's even crazier! ;-)

What I miss from your above explanation (but I might have overlooked it, so please do forgive me if I did) are filters... did you consider one or two nice filters? Well, go at least for two filters, one is just a bit too meagre, minimum is two I would say. Look into Doepfer filters they are affordable and can sound pretty well, how about that SEM filter A-106-5 which is a bit milder filter than the Wasp filter A-124, both filters are great and you can find my review report about them on my website (see link below my signature). If you allow yourself a bit more expensive filter module then consider the Erica Synths - Black Dual VCF, a serious great dual filter that can be either used in series or in parallel. There are so many filters, I can't all discuss them here :-)

Don't buy too many modules in one shot though. You need to build up experience, that costs time and once you gained some experience you will see that here and there you start to adjust your view on certain modules and that your requirements might shift a bit. I understand you are a bit limited to your shopping possibilities but still try to keep that a bit in mind.

If you go and visit one or more modular shops in the USA, then try to test as many as possible modules in those shops. Don't only buy them, testing them is so much more important to give you that first instant feeling about a module, how the user interface is, how it sounds, your first impressions are pretty important before you should buy a module. So test as many as possible modules even if you are not going to buy them, that's fine, keep testing till they close the shop or till you have to take your plane back home. Then when you come back home and start to save money again for the next batch of modules then you took valuable test experience with you that you can then use to decide for the second batch of modules what you might want to buy.

By the way, do you know the brand EMW from Brazil? Not sure if you live nearby Brazil or perhaps even in Brazil? Then perhaps, those modules might be easier for you to buy. If you don't know EMW yet, check them out, it's a Brazilian modular manufacturer who makes reasonable Eurorack modules. I consider them the kind of South-American-Doepfer :-) I have a few modules from them but it's a bit difficult to get them here in Germany. I still try to get a filter and a VCO from them.

Besides testing as many as possible modules as you can, the second best advice is to buy a bigger case if you haven't bought that yet.

Good luck, enjoy your time in the USA and enjoy the modular time in those shops :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Warmofada,

Sorry to hear that the availability of Eurorack modules is such an issue for you, where you live, though Plragde is right that every where the availability of items is getting an issue.

I know you mentioned your available budget of 1 till 1.5k (which is a bit too less by the way for Eurorack), I still would like to advise you to go at least for a 3 row-rack casing if you didn't bought the casing yet, rather buy a larger rack with a fewer modules to start with than when in the near future you realise that you need more HP space, which will happen, guaranteed! ;-)

It's very difficult to advise on which modules you should take. You are totally right, the current choice of modules, though huge, it's crazy, it's close to impossible to have a good view of what is on the market and what fits one wishes, requirements, not even mentioning to make a "good" (what is good?) choice out of such a huge assortment of possible modules. I made myself a list of about 2500 modules over the last 3 years or so to try to stay focused on what I feel is kind of interesting, 2500 modules! That's crazy... out of that list of 2500 I feel it's a nightmare to make the right choice, so sometimes if I am too lazy to choose between two modules, I just take them both ;-) Then still 2498 modules left to choose from the next time... however every year so many new modules are produced that one year later there are 2698 modules to choose from, etcetera...

Here in modulargrid.net are currently a little 9700 modules listed, that's even crazier! ;-)

What I miss from your above explanation (but I might have overlooked it, so please do forgive me if I did) are filters... did you consider one or two nice filters? Well, go at least for two filters, one is just a bit too meagre, minimum is two I would say. Look into Doepfer filters they are affordable and can sound pretty well, how about that SEM filter A-106-5 which is a bit milder filter than the Wasp filter A-124, both filters are great and you can find my review report about them on my website (see link below my signature). If you allow yourself a bit more expensive filter module then consider the Erica Synths - Black Dual VCF, a serious great dual filter that can be either used in series or in parallel. There are so many filters, I can't all discuss them here :-)

Don't buy too many modules in one shot though. You need to build up experience, that costs time and once you gained some experience you will see that here and there you start to adjust your view on certain modules and that your requirements might shift a bit. I understand you are a bit limited to your shopping possibilities but still try to keep that a bit in mind.

If you go and visit one or more modular shops in the USA, then try to test as many as possible modules in those shops. Don't only buy them, testing them is so much more important to give you that first instant feeling about a module, how the user interface is, how it sounds, your first impressions are pretty important before you should buy a module. So test as many as possible modules even if you are not going to buy them, that's fine, keep testing till they close the shop or till you have to take your plane back home. Then when you come back home and start to save money again for the next batch of modules then you took valuable test experience with you that you can then use to decide for the second batch of modules what you might want to buy.

By the way, do you know the brand EMW from Brazil? Not sure if you live nearby Brazil or perhaps even in Brazil? Then perhaps, those modules might be easier for you to buy. If you don't know EMW yet, check them out, it's a Brazilian modular manufacturer who makes reasonable Eurorack modules. I consider them the kind of South-American-Doepfer :-) I have a few modules from them but it's a bit difficult to get them here in Germany. I still try to get a filter and a VCO from them.

Besides testing as many as possible modules as you can, the second best advice is to buy a bigger case if you haven't bought that yet.

Good luck, enjoy your time in the USA and enjoy the modular time in those shops :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

-- GarfieldModular

Nice text, really appreciate your time to help!
I know I'm a bit loose and lost in this, unfortunately I already have the case so I will be stuck at the beginning with the 2 row, and just got that because of limit desk space, my wife would kill me if I got a giant rack out of nowhere hahaha I love DIY wood work, so the next I will probably jump in that hole.

I just ordered the Squid and the Pamelas, I made some extra jobs and still have $1 to 1,2k left to play, I was thinking not to order anything more and just grab something in the spot with the advice from the sellers (hope they are nice and honest), with the schedule I just planned a trip to Perfect Circuit in LA.

It's too sad that I will travel without playing with the most part of my modules, so I will be blind with what I really need. It is not ideal, but even if I grab something not so good for my system it will have value, and eventually I could even make profit selling here, probably would take time but I never ended up stuck with nothing.

I will stick with your advice and find a good VCF, and with the advice from plragde don't invest in another voice, makes sense.

I will be there in end of May, so until then maybe I will be the boring guy asking lose and wrong questions, i'm trying not to spam anything.

Furthermore, I know the EMW stuff, here we have the Reco synth (https://www.recosynth.com/) they make an amazing analog drum machine, the Vinicius stuff (https://viniciuselectrik.com/) the order time is LONG!!! 9 months now waiting from a direct with him order and Pantalalabs (http://pantalalabs.com/) which is more to the DIY side, good price and practical. I will have one of each of them in the future, but the opportunity to buy without taxes in US is just something that never happens (it will be my first time outside my country), 3 years of work to manage the money to do it!!

A reasonable rule of thumb (not to be taken strictly) is one voice per row. I would count the Salmple as more than one voice, though it's hard to put a precise number to it. The Lizard VCO is another. Do you need more than that? If so, maybe consider the Noise Reap Paradox and the WMD C4RBN. I have read that Optomix is difficult to get hold of these days...
-- plragde

I considered the Optomix because they were available in Perfect circuit. Now they are out of stock :(

You are right, I will not invest in another voice, I'm going to keep reading and searching.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

I will be there in end of May, so until then maybe I will be the boring guy asking lose and wrong questions, i'm trying not to spam anything.
-- warmofada

Don't worry about asking questions or about asking "wrong questions". You have some unique constraints, you are clearly thinking a lot about actual purchases and not just fantasizing, you are paying attention to what people are saying. I have not been to Perfect Circuit in person but from what I have read, they are helpful and honest.

Hi Warmofada,

I agree with Plragde about "wrong" questions, they don't exist! Only wrong answers might exist, so my apologies to you if this is a "wrong" answer ;-). Therefore don't worry, that's why there is this forum :-) So "shoot" your questions at us, we try our best to respond and you are welcome :-)

Still, I like to stress out the importance of testing as many as possible modules in Perfect Circuit, then if you are hesitating about module A, B or C (just an example) then of course you can ask their help to advise you, however test first, it gives you a much better understanding of each module that you might consider.

Good luck with this modular adventure, it sounds pretty exciting what you are sharing here with us. Besides all the excitement, I wish you good luck and lots of modular fun, welcome to modular synthesizers, one of the best inventions :-) Enjoy your first abroad travel, I hope it will be a good memory for you in the future! Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi guys,

I just made another buy spree, bought a Poly effects Beebo, an Erica synth DB-01, a Midi breakout (to use with the ES9), a PEPX1 (to sync the DB01), a Launch control XL and a Joranalogue Receive 2 (for a mic).

The idea was to build a section just like a regular interface, so I'll be able to program midi synths (via ableton and push2) with the breakout, input a mic or whatever with the receive 2 and sync everything with the PEPX1. Besides that use the Launch control XL to MIX the albeton grid.

The Beebo will be the core effects and the guitar processor, it has 4 ins and 4 outs, can be used for 4 mono or 2 stereos (bought the Y cables to connect everything). I love the 303 kind of bass sound (I'm using the vst for long time), so de db01 can do that and more, besides the fact that I enjoyed the sequence possibilities.

What you guys think? I think I can return for credit if I made a bad decision. Looking now, I have too much modulation (3 from the multi LFO and a bunch with the Pamelas), I'll suffer with VCAs probably?? I feel that 1 VCF is too little too.

I was thinking in left the 28 HP empty for the future, to be honest I bought a lot of things with too many manuals and menu diving...

Man i have more money on this than sense... god!! To make the situation worse, i work with Biochemistry, don't even make money with this. Writing all that was pure suffering hahahahaha

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1861530.jpg?1650589206

I like the DB-01 a lot; it's great fun all by itself. I don't think you need the Pexp-1 just for that; the DB-01 is based on a Eurorack module, and takes clock in (just a regular Pam's channel), as well as pitch, gate, and filter CV in. Its output is hot enough for Eurorack and doesn't need boosting, if you want to take the signal back into the rack. I don't have experience with the other things you mentioned, though people seem to like the Beebo a lot.

I like the DB-01 a lot; it's great fun all by itself. I don't think you need the Pexp-1 just for that; the DB-01 is based on a Eurorack module, and takes clock in (just a regular Pam's channel), as well as pitch, gate, and filter CV in. Its output is hot enough for Eurorack and doesn't need boosting, if you want to take the signal back into the rack. I don't have experience with the other things you mentioned, though people seem to like the Beebo a lot.
-- plragde

NICE!!! Just sent one email for a refund of the PEPX1, hope they return without any hassle.

-- plragde

Hi Warmofada,

I agree with Plragde about "wrong" questions, they don't exist! Only wrong answers might exist, so my apologies to you if this is a "wrong" answer ;-). Therefore don't worry, that's why there is this forum :-) So "shoot" your questions at us, we try our best to respond and you are welcome :-)

Still, I like to stress out the importance of testing as many as possible modules in Perfect Circuit, then if you are hesitating about module A, B or C (just an example) then of course you can ask their help to advise you, however test first, it gives you a much better understanding of each module that you might consider.

Good luck with this modular adventure, it sounds pretty exciting what you are sharing here with us. Besides all the excitement, I wish you good luck and lots of modular fun, welcome to modular synthesizers, one of the best inventions :-) Enjoy your first abroad travel, I hope it will be a good memory for you in the future! Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Guys, thanks alot for youre help, i'm finally with all set, made a diy side panel for the rack and it´s just a blast. I'm just enjoying the process of modular, try things for days then ripp all apart and start over. SO NICE!!

The rack:
https://freeimage.host/i/Huugh11

Hi Warmofada,

Great looking rack! Enjoy modular :-)

I wish you and everyone a Happy New Year, may this be a good year for all of us. Stay healthy and kind regards, Garfield.