I've been slowly piecing together this 6U rack with a goal of making an instrument that can function alone for generative music, but also supplement the Minibrute 2s when I want a more hands-on, guided session. I've got 13hp left, and I'm curious what feedback y'all would have for this? Obviously, the correct answer is a bigger rack, but that's gonna have to wait for a bit, unfortunately. I'm currently thinking along the lines of the Xaoc Batumi, WMD/SSF Toolbox, or DivKid/SSF RND sample and hold for the last piece.

Are there things I've overlooked or skimped on?
Any suggestions for organization and signal flow (particularly if it results in more usable space)?
Anything you would replace?

Thanks!

13hp is an awkward number of hp to be left with...

all the modules you mention would be good - it's mostly a case of fitting them in...

batumi and poti would fill your 13hp nicely... as would toolbox and rnd step (leaving 3hp over)

if you want the functionality of toolbox then this is one to go for as the last batch of them should be in stores now...

but... Pams should be able to cover the random into sample and hold functionality, as should (iirc) O&C with hemispheres...

I really like batumi and poti, but I'd be tempted to also consider zadar and nin - which can provide some very long complex modulation, which can easily be attenuated to mix with other modulation sources in the matrix mixer... I'd probably go with this and start saving for the next case - to put the other modules in - another very interesting module I'd probably look at is the Xaoc Samara ii - which has an interesting clamp function...

a good habit when you get a case is to charge rack space (ie save the cost of the hp for the module in a piggy bank or savings account) - by the time the case is full there'll be enough cash for the next case...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

A Mimetic Digitalis sequencer would work well in this set-up. They are great for stepped CV modulation. It would work nicely with your Pam's.

I really like batumi and poti, but I'd be tempted to also consider zadar and nin - which can provide some very long complex modulation, which can easily be attenuated to mix with other modulation sources in the matrix mixer... I'd probably go with this and start saving for the next case - to put the other modules in - another very interesting module I'd probably look at is the Xaoc Samara ii - which has an interesting clamp function...

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your feedback. I've been torn between the Batumi and Zadar for quite a while, but since they keep being out of stock, I've been stuck in Xaoc limbo for both. We'll see which is in stock first, but definitely think I'm going to end up with both eventually, once a new case arrives. I hadn't looked at the Samara ii yet, that one seems quite useful, might be a good fit.

a good habit when you get a case is to charge rack space (ie save the cost of the hp for the module in a piggy bank or savings account) - by the time the case is full there'll be enough cash for the next case...
-- JimHowell1970

That's a great idea, thanks!

A Mimetic Digitalis sequencer would work well in this set-up. They are great for stepped CV modulation. It would work nicely with your Pam's.
-- Ronin1973

Thanks for the suggestion. I typically use the MB2s for sequencing, but I'd love to add more onboard ability to lesson my reliance on the tabletop units, particularly if they are good for playing live. With the Pam's and the A138m, that might be a great combo for complex weirdness.

Before you get a Mimetic Digitalis try setting your Pam's to 4x, stepped random wave, and loop length to CV1. You can send 0V and it will just generate random steps, but then increase voltage to lock it in a loop. Then back to 0V for Turing Machine style random stepped voltage. You also have additional control with Pam's attenuator, offset, etc. But that's only if you want the shred functionality of Mimetic which is all I used it for until I figured out that thing with Pam's. If you want to dial in sequences, well that's a different story.

Before you get a Mimetic Digitalis try setting your Pam's to 4x, stepped random wave, and loop length to CV1. You can send 0V and it will just generate random steps, but then increase voltage to lock it in a loop. Then back to 0V for Turing Machine style random stepped voltage.
-- obscuremachines

What a cool trick, thanks!