Hi
This is my first modular setup. I have an 84hp Intellijel Pallete case with the modules as outlined below. I was considering using my op-z to sequence through the umidi 1U. Anyone have some advice/suggestions to complete the case ? Not sure how to proceed as option paralysis has set in. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1242767.jpg

Modules list :
Intellijel µMIDI 1U
Intellijel Noise Tools 1U
Intellijel DUAL VCA 1U
Intellijel Quadratt 1U
Expert Sleepers disting EX
Noise Engineering Manis Iteritas 
Intellijel Buff Mult
Mutable instruments Ears
Moog Music Inc. DFAM 
Noise Engineering Viol Ruina
Make Noise Rosie
Expert Sleepers ES-3 mk4
Expert Sleepers ES-6 mk2

Hi Geoff,

It would make things easier if you can post a link to your rack here on ModularGrid. That way, we can click on it and review it easily.

Do you have ADAT on your PC? The ES-3/6 combo is very specific. Most people connect to a PC with an ES-9 as it provides USB. For MIDI, MutantBrain is a popular option as it provides more connectivity pretty cheaply. When you add the CVx to the uMIDI, you end up more expensive.

Ears is discontinued so hurry to find stock if you really need it!

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Hi Arrandan thanks for getting back to me. Below is the link to my rack hope it works. I have acquired all the modules listed already so I have the ear no problem. I am using a miniDSP USBStreamer for ADAT in/out to PC. I got the ES-3/6 combo cheap. At the time the ES-9 wasn't going to be available for a loooong time. I am also using a yamaha A4000 sampler for fx through Rosie send/return. So at the moment Im using a bit of external gear to make do eg op-z to sequence and A4000 and PC for fx. Haven't got into the disting yet as its new but I thought it was a flexible module for someone still working stuff out. Thanks again.

(ModularGrid Rack).

Hi Geoff,

Nice that you already have the ADAT parts. We use it in the office for parts of our audio (broadcast company) but for music I'm so humble to stay with USB and jacks :-) Now you mention the shortage of ES-9 it made me double-check because I want to order one for myself. Fortunately, it's in stock in one of my favorite shops.

I'm also looking at integrating external equipment with modular (who isn't?). The core will be my iPad Pro. With AUM and the multitrack recorder, it's quite powerful. I just bought a Teensy to set up a headless Dirtywave M8. Teensy is via USB, but the M8 itself is MIDI and audio jacks. The ES-9 would then be key to get the audio in, but I'd still need to find a way to sync clocks and start/stop. No PC, because that turns everything into a complicated mess. I've got lots to explore, but I'm doing it step by step. I also just started recording video for my YouTube channel, so I'm already doing everything at once.

As for Disting and similar modules (looking at you O&C), I stay away from them. It's true - you can turn them into anything. But I find that confusing. A VCO is a VCO and not a clock, in my setup. But they exist for good reason, so spend your time to get to know it well because there's plenty in it!

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Well, part of the problem is in the fact that there's something in the cab that shouldn't be: the DFAM. It already has a cab and its own power, so use that. Otherwise...well, your case costs $649, and it's got 168 hp in its 3U rows, which is what we'll be dealing with here. This is going to hurt a little...

649 / 168 = 3.86. This is the cost per hp for the case (barring the tile row, as it's not really germane to this).

Then, find the cost of 60 hp. 3.86 x 60 = 231.60

Now, a DFAM these days streets for $699. So 699 + 231.60 = 930.60

So, the DFAM, in this configuration, winds up actually costing over $900 if you leave it in here. So not only do monster-sized devices like this rob powered housing from modules that REALLY need it, it's not a very fiscally-sound idea, either.

And it's an impediment to revising builds as well. If you're looking at a case where over 1/3rd of the space is taken over by just one single device, you need to be thinking VERY carefully about how to use the remaining 3U space. Or if you just put that 60 hp chonk back where it belongs, you'll have opened up loads of space for MORE stuff that can integrate your system in with everything else. Same routine works with the other Moog 60-ers, and there IS a way to mount four of those in a big, curved master stand; see here:

Can't do that if the DFAM stays where it is...and you've got to admit, that curved 4-tier setup looks totally badass, sort of like a piece of TONTO that got left in the dryer too long!