This may be the most involved project I have done in the last couple of years. It was born from a simple goal - create a full album length ambient piece in multiple parts, using a wide variety of synthesizers and synthesis techniques, but not using midi note programming or sequencers. It's four pieces with a common melodic theme and blended together. I used almost all of my synths including my modular rig and a guitar.

Part One is a brief intro that gives you the flavor of the whole piece.

Part Two has a complex foundational drone from my modular rack and uses six oscillators, each tuned to a different note within the E Dorian scale. They are all running through filters or being modulated in other ways. Each oscillator is faded in and out using slow asynchronous LFOs on the mixer's VCA creating a very unpredictable combination of sounds and textures. This is a "self-playing" or "generative" patch. Other sounds are layered on top and come from the ASM Hydrasynth, Korg Kronos, Novation Summit, and Moog Taurus Pedals.

Part Three uses a base drone from the Waldorf Iridium in a low register and features a few solo sections using that same sound played in a higher register. I made extensive use of the Waldorf's amazing Mod Matrix and set up about 25 different modulations of all different kinds of sound parameters. This is also a generative patch. Part Three also feature solo sections on electric guitar, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg Kronos and Novation Summit.

Part Four has a foundation pad from the Prophet Rev 2 which is played on its keyboard and expression pedal controlling Filter Cutoff. Additional bass, pad sounds and solos are layered on from the ASM Hydrasynth and Korg Kronos.

Again, no midi note programming or sequencers were used to record this, so each track, section, solo here is recorded "live".

All images are from the NASA website and are public domain. They're freakin amazing to look at, especially with the Ken Burns treatment. Enjoy!

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Wow, almost one hour of great music from you! The pictures of NASA are amazing indeed, your music fits very well together with those images. You are hyper spacing me away from earth, I am wondering were I will end up ;-)

Let's hope so far in space I can keep the earthy Internet connection, while getting hyper spaced further away by your music, I will continue listening to your amazing music and watching those indeed beautiful and amazing NASA pictures.

Just wanted to click the submit button when I realise and read that you have a Novation Summit. I am seriously thinking of that synth too, not sure if I can make it this year or if it will be on my shopping list for next year but I am very interested in the Summit! How is your experience so far with it? Is it worth it, or would be one Peak enough? :-)

Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Garfield! Thanks for your fantastic comments. Regarding the Summit - I really like it. I don’t use it as much as I’d like but every time I touch it wonderful sounds come out. It has a ton of features and functionality and I love the filter and even the effects are pretty good. Notation offers a ton of free sounds online and spent a bunch of time grabbing cool pads and leads, so that made it even better. I don’t do “sound design” on it but find a preset that’s close to what I want and tweak from there. If you’re in need of a kick-ass 16 voice poly-synth it’s hard to beat.

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Sounds indeed that the Summit is almost a kind of "must-have" poly-synth :-) Thanks a lot for your feedback. I need to go back to my local dealer and test it yet again, somehow I have the feeling that it only would confirm to take the Summit ;-)

I hope to listen soon again to beautiful music from you and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads