Behold!

Three stereo channels of line level IO to feed: a percussion/sample playback channel (top left corner), a monosynth channel (top-right corner) and an audio processing/FX chain (middle row). Of course, it's a modular system so it could be patched any-which-way.

Main sequencer = Arturia Keystep Pro.

All Line level IO to be connected either to a small anal-log mixer or directly to an PC audio interface. Because of this, I figured having level control on the IO modules themselves was pointless. I chose a Befaco output module for the monomyth because.... Why not?

I'd like to keep stacked cables to a minimum, hence the multiple multiple/attenuator modules.

Thoughts welcome

anal-log sounds painful - I'd buy an analog mixer if I were you!!

sub-mixing and attenuation is really useful in the rack - so I'd get some if I were you!

stacked cables should always be kept to a minimum - by chaining them instead of stacking them!

whats the use case for the midi->cv module?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

sub-mixing and attenuation is really useful in the rack - so I'd get some if I were you!

stacked cables should always be kept to a minimum - by chaining them instead of stacking them!

-- JimHowell1970

I am anal-log! :-D

To answer your question: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the Keystep Pro's knobs only output midi. The Keystep has a usb midi output and thus I thought the little 2HP midi module was a no-brainer. It's cheap and cheerful and better than nothing. If this is not the case then I can drop the midi module.

I have a more general question for peeps: Is there a way to make CV outputs on the Keystep Pro accessible via Ableton Live?

-- JimHowell1970

To answer your question: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the Keystep Pro's knobs only output midi. The Keystep has a usb midi output and thus I thought the little 2HP midi module was a no-brainer. It's cheap and cheerful and better than nothing. If this is not the case then I can drop the midi module.

I have a more general question for peeps: Is there a way to make CV outputs on the Keystep Pro accessible via Ableton Live?

-- rextable

re:keystep knobs - I'd read the manual - I suspect you'd want both more channels, and a midi->cv converter that works with midi cc - I suspect that the 2hp midi module only works with a single channel of pitch/gate... maybe have a look at the befaco midi thing... but note that midi is stepped 0-127 - whereas a truly analog rotary controller will be continuous within the specified range

the cv outputs should be duplicated in midi - again read the manual

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

-- JimHowell1970

-- rextable

re:keystep knobs - I'd read the manual - I suspect you'd want both more channels, and a midi->cv converter that works with midi cc - I suspect that the 2hp midi module only works with a single channel of pitch/gate... maybe have a look at the befaco midi thing... but note that midi is stepped 0-127 - whereas a truly analog rotary controller will be continuous within the specified range

the cv outputs should be duplicated in midi - again read the manual

-- JimHowell1970

I think you're right. It was an afterthought really. The encoders on the Keystep are just that - encoders - not smooth knobs. Oh well. That's one less module to worry about :-)

Okay

Midi module is gone. Replaced with a mult for the Pam's for clock distro. This should in tern free up Pam's outputs for more creative applications I also dropped the Befaco IO - it was pointless given how this case will be integrated into my studio.

Unless people can point out any glaring issues or omissions, I think I'm there design wise.

Thoughts and/or optimisations anyone?

The total power output of the Doepfer P9 PSU3 Case is as follows:

Output + 12 V (mA): 2000
Output - 12 V (mA): 1200
Output 5 V (mA): 4000

The consumption of this system is: 2164 mA +12V | 1025 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V

Is that +12V rail going to be a problem?

Okay

Midi module is gone. Replaced with a mult for the Pam's for clock distro. This should in tern free up Pam's outputs for more creative applications I also dropped the Befaco IO - it was pointless given how this case will be integrated into my studio.

Unless people can point out any glaring issues or omissions, I think I'm there design wise.

Thoughts and/or optimisations anyone?

can you please link to your latest public rack (copy and paste the url)

The total power output of the Doepfer P9 PSU3 Case is as follows:

Output + 12 V (mA): 2000
Output - 12 V (mA): 1200
Output 5 V (mA): 4000

The consumption of this system is: 2164 mA +12V | 1025 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V

Is that +12V rail going to be a problem?
-- rextable

yes almost definitely on the +ve rail and quite likely on the -ve rail as well!

you really need to leave 25-30% headroom on each rail to allow for both inaccurate power consumption figures and inrush spikes...

I'd want at least 2800mA on the +ve rail and 1300mA on the -ve rail...

this is the big failing with the doepfer 9u cases - not quite enough power , as they use the same power as the 8u - where the power is sufficient... either find someway to reduce the power consumption or consider 2 * 6u - which will leave you with some expansion space (which is never a bad idea)

Hmmm

That's my battleship sunk :-(

Hmmm

That's my battleship sunk :-(
-- rextable

not really - you just need to rethink a little...

hopefully you weren't intending to buy all of this at once anyway... better to go slowly and learn the modules you have, inside and out, before buying more modules... and then repeating!

so just get a 6u case - start buying modules and as you do put some money aside for the next case...

if you can manage to save ((cost of case/hp) * hp of module) for each module you buy like this - by the time the case is full, the next case is paid for...

you'll probably make a few changes along the way - but that's how it is... and should be... no plan survives contact with the enemy (no matter what the enemy is...

have fun!