Hi all,

I am hoping to get recommendations for how to fill out a Make Noise 104hp skiff that I am putting together for which I have already purchased three modules: DPO, Maths, and a Rosie. I suspect that like most decisions in putting together a modular, there are so many ways to fill it out that it is largely a matter of taste. However, even if you cannot give specific recommendations, perhaps you can help me with more generic recommendations. For example, while it's obvious that I need the basics to produce a single voice, perhaps you recommend that I double up on certain things to eke out a second voice.

Here is the skiff, with the DPO, Maths, and Rosie that I have already purchased on the left and modules that I am thinking about buying on the right. [For some reason the view below is not updating. The modules are separated in this screenshot.] The DPO & Maths are fairly large, however I figure that these modules' high level of versatility justify the cost in space. I pray that I have not made a mistake in going with the very large & expensive DPO.

ModularGrid Rack

I aim to use this for noise/ambient performances; the kinds of sounds that I would ideally like to achieve with it are fairly diverse, in order from most to least important: non-musical sounds (e.g. crickets, water, birds, other non-musical tactile sounds; I am very impressed with Silver Apples of the Moon); dark, muscular drone; and pretty arpeggios/sequences controlled by Ableton via a midi interface. I appreciate that these may be too diverse to achieve simultaneously in such a small system, but I'd like to get as close as possible. In any case, this synth will be supplemented with a computer producing sound via ableton live/max.

In the rack above, I've tentatively decided on the Ripples because, from what I've heard, it is a very smooth, pretty filter, the Intellijel uVCA because it is a compact dual VCA, and the EON because it packs a lot into a small space including an LFO and noise output. Alternatively, I've also had my eye on the Tiptop Z2040 LP-VCF instead of the Ripples.

What other modules would you recommend I fill out the skiff with to achieve a full featured but compact performance setup? Would you recommend that I reconsider any of my tentative decisions? Thank you!

I've heard mostly great things about the DPO, as well as the Z2040. I'd consider adding a dedicated AD or ADSR, because Maths does so many other things that you might not want to have it as your only EG. You should consider losing the EON and get the Expert Sleepers Disting MK3 -- it's not much more cost-wise and perfect for a small system because it has so many functions (everything the EON does and much more). You can experiment with it to see what you tend to use most which would help determine future purchases, even if you decide not to keep it. From hanging out over at Muffwiggler, the consensus seems to be that you "can never have enough VCAs"... of course it all depends on what you're trying to do, but adding another 'flavor' of VCA might be advisable. The ModDemix would be a good option, plus it can be used as a mixer within your system, which would be useful. Something like Mutable Instruments' Links might also be useful. Finally, I'd add Clouds (fantastic- I have one), or something like the Echophon or Erbe-Verb since any of those would be valuable to have for what you're trying to do.

Disclaimer: I'm not new to music or electronic music, but am new to modular. Since purchasing my "gateway" to the modular universe (Moog's Mother 32) I've spent nearly 2 months buying, selling, trading (and blowing up my budget, originally 120hp, now 208hp... gaah) and finally think I have a system that should hold up for awhile. It kinda has to since I can't (shouldn't) afford to do anything but sell or trade out at this point. Also, if you've not been over to Muffwiggler, it's highly advisable as it is a treasure trove of information and discussion. AWESOME community. Just for kicks, here's what I ended up with: ModularGrid Rack

Thanks so much for the reply, etantloh. This is super helpful. I'm definitely going to consider getting both the expert sleepers module and the ModDemix. I really wish that I could do some sort of effects like the erbe-verb! Sadly, I don't think I'll have any space. I think I'll have to shift those duties to the computer for now.

I appreciate the "never enough VCAs" wisdom. That was exactly what I was hoping to get.

I have definitely browsed around Muffwiggler. It seems like a great place but I haven't posted enough replies to start my own thread! I figured I'd try my luck here first, being very impatient. Glad I did.

Congrats on finishing your rig. It looks like a lot of fun. Love the Moog Mother in the setup! I too almost went with that as an entry into the modular world but I thought, hey, why spend a quarter of a month's pay when I can spend a WHOLE month's! Thanks again.

Yeah, this whole thing is definitely taking a toll on my bank account! Love the Moog- every time I fire my rig up it's hard to get away from. Hopefully as I get more sophisticated and creative with my patching it will only get better. As far as FX goes, another good thing about the Disting is that there are a couple good delay algorithms that would work in a pinch. It's nice to have them within the system itself but obviously if you're recording into a DAW you won't be lacking FX options.