I'm using my leftover modules to fill a 104hp 4u case. The current setup is extremely haphazard since it's all random leftovers.

Take a look - I want recommendations for what to do with what I already have, and what modules I should purchase to tie it all together into something fun. Plus your reasoning behind the choices.

Here are the raw materials:
- Black Intellijel 104hp 4u Pallette Case
- Mutable Instruments Rings
- Mutable Instruments Blades
- Mutable Instruments Clouds
- Mutable Instruments Branches
- Mutable Instruments Tides V2
- Mutable Instruments Braids
- Mutable Instruments Shades
- Mutable Instruments Ears
- Mutable Instruments Shelves
- Mutable Instruments Streams
- Befaco Kickall
- 2hp S+H
- Erica Synths Pico Seq
- Instruo Athru

Here's a link to all the modules in one place plus an empty case to work with:
ModularGrid Rack

I'm willing to add new modules - Go wild with your recommendations and reasoning!

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram
For my baby daughter Luna who fought very hard to be here

No modules in that linked build page...try this: put the modules in the cab first, then shift them OUT of the case. At that point, the rack should drop down a bit and then the SCION OF EVIL, the ModularGrid cat, will pop up to taunt you. But that'll put the modules AND the empty rack behind the link. Just make sure that, before you leave that page, you do a refresh on the "screenshot" option under "Views".

Dang it, all the uninstalled modules DO actually show up on my screen when I follow that rack link... underneath with the evil cat, of course!! lol

@Lugia you're saying that even when clicking the link directly to the rack itself, it doesn't show the unracked modules below it? Unfortunate.

... Wait, actually, when I test-view my own rack on a separate browser (where I'm not logged into my own ModularGrid account) then I have the same problem - visitors to my rack page don't see the "leftover" unracked modules anywhere, only modules that were placed into the rack

Hmmm... is there not a way to display unracked modules to other people? Sorry Lugia, I tried pretty hard to follow your helpful instructions in the post above but was not successful in getting unracked modules to display for my other browser.

Trying to think of a workaround rn! Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions... definitely still want feedback on this rack, though!

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

OK @Lugia I've completely reworked this question into what I think is an interesting and better-defined puzzle.

For this challenge, here are the supposed non-negotiables of case & modules (positioning can be changed, of course):
ModularGrid Rack

Where do you take it and what's the reasoning? :)

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

I think the biggest thing I see here is that you have either 3 voices and 1 modulation module, or 4 voices and no modulation modules. Neither seems useful.

Second biggest thing: no VCAs.

Last question: how are you playing/sequencing this? That makes a difference for suggestions. If you're using midi, then not much to worry about... but if you're looking for in-rack sequencing, that would be good for us to know (though you have precious little space for it).

Assuming you want to keep this independent, I'd consider a 1u O_C, 1u VCAs, 1u noise/random, a 1u stereo mixer, and a Zadar or other quad modulation source.

OK...took a shot at this. I didn't put in a few modules (Kickall, Ears, Branches, Shades) because the Palette has some better ways of addressing what those do. Kickall, however, just didn't fit in with where this went, however, the Ears was dropped in deference to the Intellijel Stereo In, Shades gets dealt with by the two DuATTs, and Branches just...didn't really fit either, mainly because that works better if there's some logic to work with as well, and there's not.

So, looking at this as a monosynth, I went with a relatively straightforward approach...
ModularGrid Rack
Tiles: Stereo Input (from the Palette's first 1/4" jack pair), and MIDI interface, then a DuATT bookending each end of a Noise Tools (clock, noise source, S&H, slew limiter). A Stereo VCA and a Stereo Mix (which is also the output, feeding the other pair of 1/4" jacks) end things up. One bit about those last two: the VCA + first input pair could be used to fly FX in over the main mix coming off of the Q-Mix.

Row: Konstant Lab PWRchekr...shame that Intellijel doesn't put rail indicators on these, but at least Konstant Lab has that covered. Then the Tides, and a Zadar (with Nin) bracket a pair of VCAs, so that you can have VCA level control over modulation signals. As for mixing those signals, that's what the DuATTs are for. Then the Braids and the Athru have their own VCA pair...and I should note, these little dual VCAs do use the same topology as Mutable's Veils VCAs, but they save loads of space and, in this case, they downright make this thing GO. And going from zero VCAs to eight will definitely make that happen.

After that, your Blades dual VCF, then another VCA pair for post-VCF amplitude control going into either the Q-Mix, Rings, or the Stasis Leak, which gives you stereo reverb, chorus, or a tap-tempo delay with mono-in/stereo-out. Then the mixer: Alyseum's Q-Mix, which gives you four input channels with panning.

There's a lot more going on here now. With the addition of the VERY necessary VCAs, there'll be a lot more level control capability, plus you now have FX, you've got some mix/attenuator modules, proper MIDI, and so on. Definitely not a pile of "leftovers" now!

I think the biggest thing I see here is that you have either 3 voices and 1 modulation module, or 4 voices and no modulation modules. Neither seems useful.

Second biggest thing: no VCAs.

Last question: how are you playing/sequencing this? That makes a difference for suggestions. If you're using midi, then not much to worry about... but if you're looking for in-rack sequencing, that would be good for us to know (though you have precious little space for it).

Assuming you want to keep this independent, I'd consider a 1u O_C, 1u VCAs, 1u noise/random, a 1u stereo mixer, and a Zadar or other quad modulation source.

-- Shakespeare

Just wanted to reply to your thoughtful comments! Completely agree that the case was pretty ridiculous with so many voices and so little plumbing and modulation. Honestly, this exercise keeps shifting as I play with it. I think I'm ending up more where Lugia is taking things below, turning this into some sort of task-specific monosynth or some sort of supplemental pallete for my other cases.

On the other hand, the past couple of days I've actually been messing with 4-channel MIDI CV in this case through a Mutable Yarns, which actually gave me a way to make use of all those voices (albeit not with much subtlety on tap, lol). Now thinking this might be a really fun way to build a portable, MIDI-keyboard controlled polysynth using part leftovers and part new gear.

Your suggestions really helped me think about where this case is going, appreciate it.

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

@Lugia thanks for your legendary eye applied to the rack! Some great module suggestions in there - would you believe that just a few hours before you posted, I ordered several of those 2-channel micro Veils, glad we're thinking the same solution there!

I'm going to look in detail over your recommended modules that I'm not already familiar with. Definitely thinking this case would be a fun excuse to finally get a Zadar.

Agree that the Kickall and Branches just don't have much place here. I'm still interested in finding a way to work in the Mutable Ears because there's something appealing about tapping on the corner of my case, lol.

In my previous post I mention that I might take this in the direction of a MIDI-controlled polysynth with an external keyboard. Let me start working up a hybrid of your suggestions + the MIDI direction I'm exploring!

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram