Hey guys,
I ve almost finished my Skiff rack: ModularGrid Rack

Would like to ask you your opinion / advices on how could i improve modules order / which modules could be useful / good to complete the rack.

My needs:

• I m mostly doing techno (James Ruskin, Blawan kind of style) so I m looking into creating percussive, rhytmic basses & synths.

• Eurorack gonna be used mostly for synthwork (basses, leads, textures etc)

• Drums are made separately on Syntakt

• Then I process & mix everything in Ableton.

I'd get Plaits over Brains. If you're set on this amount of space, the 4HP is worth the extra dosh, and you'd be supporting MI over Behringer. And it looks better, which is what really matters. :-)

I would look at something like FX Aid XL which will give you lots more effects in fewer HP...or have a look at the Versio series from Noise Engineering. Nice that you can easily switch out firmware to any of the others that they have available.

Don't see any sort of filter in your rack yet...Doepfer Wasp or TipTop Forbidden Planet are good smaller HP filters

Disting EX may also get you some good mileage/HP in a smaller case like this

JB

@jb61264 The Font on top right is a filter! I second the FX AID. Also how do you usually use the o_c? If you're stuck on a specific app, you could buy a module devoted to a similar utility (eg. Quadraturia --> Batumi). I'm far from being an expert but I'd say you lack some sort of clock modulator to create more interesting rhythms of of the Pamela (except if you're happy programming it but I'm not), and maybe complex envelopes (BIA is a sucker for envelopes)

@jb61264 The Font on top right is a filter! I second the FX AID. Also how do you usually use the o_c? If you're stuck on a specific app, you could buy a module devoted to a similar utility (eg. Quadraturia --> Batumi). I'm far from being an expert but I'd say you lack some sort of clock modulator to create more interesting rhythms of of the Pamela (except if you're happy programming it but I'm not), and maybe complex envelopes (BIA is a sucker for envelopes)

-- gorilla

What would you suggest for Envelopes for BIA?
o_c is for turing machine mostly:) It's just cheaper than actual turing machine lol

In your situation I would probably go with the Verbos Multiple Envelope, I think the different outputs would complement the BIA very well and make it sound like more than a single voice. A lot of people associate it with the Varigate but it's not my style. Each Verbos module screams techno and later on you will find plenty of uses for the gate outs. You will also be able to feed the sequential switch with various outs. As of clock modulators, IDK, you could use the Maths to create gate delays or go with the Malekko quad delay (see Divkid video)? Maybe a burst generator would be cool, Ladik make an inexpensive one. But make sure you validate these with others, I far from excel at planning racks!

It may be worth getting a Disting EX. The EX is a little more expensive than two mk4's and is less "eurorack-y" but it is far more usable than the mk4 and it is just a very flexible module. Some things I like using the EX for is as a wavetable sound source, a mono-to-stereo reverb, a compressor, a precession adder, and as a clockable AD envelope.

If you are looking for a random cv/gate generator a good one to look at is the Clank Chaos. It has 6 channels of gates and cv with the ability to go from very random to a repeating loop and it has a variety of additional useful features such as slew and quantize capabilities. If you want to make percussive sounds you should look at Rings. I find Rings very useful for as a type of accent tool, for lack of a better term. It is not uncommon for my patches to have audio be split to Rings and have the accent/reset of one of my sequencers ping Rings. If you are looking for envelopes the Behringer 140 is a solid option. It may be a bit too much HP-wise but you get two independent ADSRs with two normal outs from each ADSR and an inverted out. It also comes with a solid LFO. I have never tried this but I do believe you can use the LFO of the 140 as a basic waveform oscillator too via its frequency CV in.

If you want to have more tactile control over the gates you are using you can take a Grids and use it in the gate mode. This allows you to control the frequency of the gates and how many there are using your hands. This can go well with a swing module so that the clock that it receives leads to not completely on the grid notes. Something I would recommend, especially if you do go this rout, is to get some type of fader bank. I use MSW's but I know they aren't the only ones who make this. Having faders outside of the case that can control things can make modulation much easier, especially if you are using Grids like this.

Just say no to Brains. Get a Plaits clone from Calsynth or any reputable builder and support a few smaller shops : )

Just say no to Brains. Get a Plaits clone from Calsynth or any reputable builder and support a few smaller shops : )
-- oscidigi

Or Plaits itself. It's a mere 12 hp, where Uli's "version" fits into 16. So even if you go with the original, you STILL gain panel space!

fx aid xl beats milky way

as for plaits clones as suggested - michigan synthworks are amazing.

all mutable instruments modules are now disconitnued.