I am looking to change up some space occupied by the current filter I'm using...will have 18HP to use and narrowed down to three in that range. Which would you get and why?
1. QPAS
2. Morpheus
3. Erica Synths Dual VCF

or would you recommend some other combination of filter and something else to fill 18?

JB

I don’t use QPAS in every patch, but it will never leave my rack. I don’t have anything else quite like it and what it does is really really cool.
With that being said, what kind of sounds are you hoping to make? If you are looking for more aggressive tones, a Dual Borg or Polivoks style filter might be better suited.

With that being said, what kind of sounds are you hoping to make? If you are looking for more aggressive tones, a Dual Borg or Polivoks style filter might be better suited.
-- farkas

@farkas - probably something a bit more aggressive where I can do some 'exploratory' sound design for stuff to be used as samples, etc...I bought a Mysteron recently and was considering putting a nice filter in between Manis Iteritas and Mysteron

JB

QPAS might help tame some of the harshness of Manis while offering stereo options. Audio rate modulation of QPAS is fun too. If you want to accentuate the aggression of Manis and Mysteron, maybe check out Future Sound Systems Fil3 Spectral Devastator. It’s a dual filter and distortion that fits your hp requirements.

QPAS might help tame some of the harshness of Manis while offering stereo options. Audio rate modulation of QPAS is fun too. If you want to accentuate the aggression of Manis and Mysteron, maybe check out Future Sound Systems Fil3 Spectral Devastator. It’s a dual filter and distortion that fits your hp requirements.
-- farkas

@farkas - thanks i'll take a look at the Fil3
Morpheus filter looks interesting with that "filter sequencer"...would love to hear how that can be used...sequencing your filter on a sound? don't think i've run across that yet in my short eurorack lifetime yet

JB

Here's a screwy idea...

Instead of a "normal" VCF, use one that has an insert path...and then drop something like a delay or reverb into that. Doepfer's A-106-1 fits into 14 hp, leaving 4 hp for an effect to screw with the resonance path...HN's FX Aid could work, and there's several others that fit in that remaining space.

The 106-1, fyi, is actually a version of the MS-20's Sallen-Key filter pair...which is definitely is capable of some weird filter interactions. Plus, this idea is pretty cost-effective and fills the 18 hp hole.

Here's a screwy idea...

Instead of a "normal" VCF, use one that has an insert path...and then drop something like a delay or reverb into that. Doepfer's A-106-1 fits into 14 hp, leaving 4 hp for an effect to screw with the resonance path...HN's FX Aid could work, and there's several others that fit in that remaining space.

The 106-1, fyi, is actually a version of the MS-20's Sallen-Key filter pair...which is definitely is capable of some weird filter interactions. Plus, this idea is pretty cost-effective and fills the 18 hp hole.
-- Lugia

Hmmm....interesting...I already have FX Aid XL...but now I have to fill an 4HP hole ;)

JB