Hello World!
I have decided to begin my Eurorack journey and wanted to ask for your suggestions on my initial rack. I have played on a MicroKorg before so I think I get the general picture. This rack was meant to be mainly a learning platform for myself, that would still hold some potential of creating music more involving than the beep-boop-beep. My main questions to you are:

• Am I missing something important here? (maybe an extra filter/ sequencer??)
  • What case would you recommend - power supply etc. (I want to have about 50% space for future expansion)
  • Is there a best-practice general introductory thread on the forum?

the main thing you will learn from this is that 2hp modules (with tall trimmers instead of proper pots) suck in terms of ergonomics - eurorack is small enough already - go for bigger modules - unless they are set and forget or don't need any controls - and don't put them next to each other unless you really hate yourself...

Case: buy a tiptop mantis - it is by far the best combination or size/price/manufacturer reputation/decent power supply

Biggest thing missing from a starter perspective is a way to play melodic content - you don't have a pitch sequencer or midi->cv module - decide which you want to use and how many voices you think you might ultimately want - then get something based up on that - this way you will not have to learn and relearn different modules every time you need to upgrade

iirc the 921B requires a 921A module to work - but I wouldn't buy this I'd buy a doepfer basic vco instead - also an inexpensive brand - but without the bad taste

the endorphin.es running order covers euclidean sequencing so the 2hp euclid is superfluous

I wouldn't recommend buying anything in modular with the intention of replacing it with something better in the future - it's a false economy... as is buying too small a case! (see above)

See my signature for a rough guide on how to build a versatile modular synthesizer for the least outlay

there's no rough guide here - other than the collective wisdom of the forum members - there are in other places (modwiggler 1u & 3u subforum stickies for example) - great for general principles

read as many other newbie threads as you can before spending money - probably a couple of dozen will be a good start...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

this user has left ModularGrid

Definitely get a larger case and thank me later. I would go no smaller than 6u. Even better a 9u Doepfer case or perhaps more affordable case would be a Mantis case. Second, you need a lot of support modules! Attenuators, envelope generators, cv mixer, sequential switch, VCAs, so forth.

I got a mantis case I dont use for sale if you Are in EU

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Another Mantis vote here. Don't start in a single-row skiff, as you'll either...

1) jam it full of tiny modules to the point where you have no room to get your fingers in, or...

2) build 2/3rds of a synth, because that's what you've got usable room for.

Small form factor modules DO have uses...they're not bad for things you don't need to tweak often (if at all) and various utility functions, but as main modules...nuh-uh. Case in point is in the build above: if you're going to be cranking on the VCF's cutoff (a very common technique, particularly if you're working out a "builder" track), you'll be having no fun whatsoever doing that while studiously avoiding the VCO's tune control.