my first rack is a companion for the behringer semi modular synth, crave. I will use both instruments to play samples through ableton and mono line with an old oxygen v2 midi keyboard

how are you interfacing with your computer? and/or mixing the semi and the rack?

you definitely don't need so many buffered mults - passives will do

no filter?

no waveshaper?

it's a bit pedestrian...

I'd get a better effects module - which can take more modulation and better ergonomics - fx aid xl or bigger!

standard advice: get a bigger rack you'll need it sooner than you think... tiptop mantis is the best bang for buck (hp/price/manufacturer reputation/good power!)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

+1 on the Mantis...as usual. 208 hp, easy to tote around, and expandable with another Mantis later on. Even with seasoned modular users, putting together a full build in a little skiff like this isn't an easy task. You wind up losing out since there's either two options there:

1) You CAN do a full build with tiny modules that pose serious ergonomic challenges, or

2) You avoid the tiny modules, but don't have space for a full-on build.

OTOH, building into 208 spaces is FAR easier. You have far fewer situations that require the use of tiny modules, for one thing. And the other: $335, baybee! Yeah...powered with an improved uZeus-derived P/S with ample amps, and it's so reasonably priced.

Mind you, tiny builds DO have their place; I put together a modular parallel guitar processor last night in a Palette 62, for example. But note this one point: that was a "mission-specific" build and NOT a full synth. So small cabs do have a place...just not a place for building full modulars in that small of a space.

how are you interfacing with your computer? and/or mixing the semi and the rack?

you definitely don't need so many buffered mults - passives will do

no filter?

no waveshaper?

it's a bit pedestrian...

I'd get a better effects module - which can take more modulation and better ergonomics - fx aid xl or bigger!

standard advice: get a bigger rack you'll need it sooner than you think... tiptop mantis is the best bang for buck (hp/price/manufacturer reputation/good power!)
-- JimHowell1970

wait a moment , this configuration is work in progress. i use niftycase to interfacing with daw but actually i'm using the rack only like a companion of behringer crave. i don't have each modules showed in configuration. i use the modulargrid like "bom" ;)

well, most people who comment their public racks are seeking advice - so you got it...

use the advice to help you think about where you are going with this...

we have a lot of experience here...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

powered with an improved uZeus-derived P/S with ample amps, and it's so reasonably priced.
-- Lugia

it's uZeus studio bus P/S based - not the crappy flying bus board noise monster!!!

well, most people who comment their public racks are seeking advice - so you got it...

use the advice to help you think about where you are going with this...

we have a lot of experience here...
-- JimHowell1970

thanks a lot. this is my first experience with synth in general, i'm bass player, i'm a neewbie.
i bought the crave to start in this world and now, a few weeks later i bought any modules to expand it. meanwhile i studied a little the basis of the synth using voltage modular from cherry audio. for now I'm not interested a rack who play without a keyboard.effect like reverbs, delay, chorus etc, for now, I apply them with the daw.

thanks a lot. this is my first experience with synth in general, i'm bass player, i'm a neewbie.
i bought the crave to start in this world and now, a few weeks later i bought any modules to expand it. meanwhile i studied a little the basis of the synth using voltage modular from cherry audio. for now I'm not interested a rack who play without a keyboard.effect like reverbs, delay, chorus etc, for now, I apply them with the daw.
-- monux

if you're a bassist - you might want to look into an instrument input (possibly with envelope/pitch following and gate extraction), expression pedal interfaces (so you can have some control over the modular with your feet, whilst playing bass) & effect pedal interface...

as for filters & waveshapers, I'd see them not so much as effects, but as a fundamental parts of a modular synthesizer, like vcas, vcos, envelope generators and lfos

although all that might be in the (near) future for you...

here's a link to a slighlty old, but still massively applicable and useful learning resource:
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43964&sid=d750b0736c2737fee8f5381be539a3a2

have fun!!

here's a link to a slighlty old, but still massively applicable and useful learning resource:
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43964&sid=d750b0736c2737fee8f5381be539a3a2

have fun!!

-- JimHowell1970

thank you so much again