Arturia Case

Hi all!
I am filling my first case: I'm not new to the synth world but new to modular. I have 2 Arturia cases: one with two rows and one row (that's why there's 2 power switches). I already almost filled the 3U case so far: MI Marbles, MI Rings, MI Beads, Make Noise Morphagene. I need this system purely for synth voices (mono as well as poly voices) + fx, so no drums needed in eurorack as I have Elektron Rytm for that. Which utilities do you think I need to add? Is there enough to modulate everything? Do Ornament Crime and Pamela's Workout not overlap with same functionality?
I also have Elektron A4, which has 4 configurable CV outs: can use that for sequencing and probably going to be master clock for whole system. Maybe some modules that you see are overkill?
Which fx would you suggest? Is Erica Synths Black Hole DSP2 any good as a multipurpose fx? Or better stick with one module per function?
Forgot to mention: music genre is anything electronic, from down-tempo to minimal and everything in between. I'm trying to explore the sonic possibilities beyond traditional synth paradigm.
Have a great day!

now with link...

ModularGrid Rack

you should update to use the even bigger Arturia rack warts... instead of the smaller uZeus rack warts...

is there enough modulation? probably for now, especially if you are leveraging the o&c & pams with the matrix mixer to get more complex modulation... but for the future I'd look at adding at least one more modulation source - my choices would be at least 1 if not more of zadar, batumi, maths... maths in particular if you want to learn more about modular synthesis (as opposed to just connecting modules together - synthesis with modules) - as it has a lot of learning videos & imo even better the 'maths illustrated supplement' - best when thought deeply about - why, what, how - and used as a jumping off point for experimentation instead of just a simple patch reference, though!!!

as for overlap between pams and o&c - not really you need gates and envelopes and lfos - these at least for now cover this reasonably well - & "redundancy" is not a bad thing in modular anyway in lots of cases - modulation and utilities especially!

how are you doing end of chain mixing? externally? otherwise might be an idea to look at this...

utilities - my favourite subject... it's hard to say what you will want or need - I would suggest spending some time looking at all the different types and deeply thinking about them... I usually find logic, sequential switches, sample and hold, atttenuation/attenuversion, offsets, more mixers and more vcas are incredibly useful though...

re effects: I'd look at the fx aid pro instead of the dsp2...

& read through a load of other recent newbie/advice posts - they're pretty much all applicable!!!

to quote @Lugia from another thread!

In fact, some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile, below.

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for reply Jim!
I was indeed wondering about end of chain mixers available - as it has to be mixed before going in the mixing panel. Maybe some suggestions?
I was indeed looking at maths as it seems an Swiss Army knife.
I’m not sure what you mean with bigger warts? Bigger case or more capable power supply? Those are standard Arturia cases so I suppose they must be able to power whatever you can put in the case?

I personally like tesseract tex-mix... it's expandable and inexpensive... but do your research... some people claim there's a lot of bleed and a high noise floor, nothing I've particularly noticed though...

maths is a fantastic module - but it only really comes into it's own when you dig really deep into it...

bigger rack warts - you have used the tiptop uZeus in your rack - if you are using a RackBrute you should be using the Arturia power supply modules (rack warts - they steal racks space and are ugly) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/arturia-rackbrute-6u-3u-power

as for a case being able to power whatever you put in there - hahahahaha - no.

you need to add up per power supply the draw for each rail from the modules and compare it to what the manufacturer states is the maximum draw for each rail - leave at least 25-30% headroom... if not there's always a chance your power supply either shuts itself off, a module fails to power on or, possibly, the power supply decides to die on you...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Ah yes, it’s rackbrute indeed - somehow I couldn’t find it by search term “arturia”, That’s why I used similar size one instead..
lol, didn’t know power was not “for granted”, is Mantis case any better in terms of power supply? Or regardless which one you pick you might need power upgrade?

mantis is imo infinitely better than rackbrute... and less ugly, but that's just personal opinion...

mantis is a little bit bigger (20hp/row), has no rack wart, has a super clean power supply (up to video rates - which is low MHz, not just KHz needed for audio), more power on the 12v rail (which is where you need the most)... and because of the size almost always works out cheaper per hp...

nb the 12v power is zoned so you have to pay a bit of attention plugging modules in (each zone is 1A, so no more than 750mA draw plugged in to each zone)

it might be a good idea if you watched your way through at least the first post or so of this thread: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106396

I'd get the new Xaoc FX unit over the FX Aid/XL/Pro just because they're both the same FX chip, but the Xaoc module has input attenuators and that chip distorts if you breathe on it too hard.

Gotta go with Mantis for next 6U then, I wish I knew it before buying the 3U rackbrute so far.
I'll check that Xaoc FX thanks!
Thanks for advice, I appreciate it.

ModularGrid Rack
I've updated everything: I will use 6U Mantis TipTop instead of Rackbrute 3U + 6U.. Aaaand what do you know - I'm out of space already, and I couldn't even fit maths... And I don't have a decent filter yet or analog voice, even the simple one...
Am I missing something crucial? Should I drop maybe some large module for a smaller footprint (I'm looking at that Doepfer matrix cv mixer maybe or Rene 2)?
I've not even started but I can feel already why it's like a drug to a lot of people huehue..
Also that tex mix says it's an expansion, but I couldn't find on their website if this module can be used on it's own as 4 channel stereo mixer or not..

You're going to need a master section to go with the Tex Mix stereo module - https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-master-section

Befaco's ST Mix gives 4 stereo channels in a smaller space but doesn't have send & returns, mutes etc., and depending on where you're audio goes after it you might need an output model e.g. ALM HPO (you could of course be going straight to an outboard mixer)

Hm, those 2 Tex modules seem like an overkill indeed - all I need is to mix up to 4 stereo channels, and volume control on each channel seems enough already. I don't need pan/sends at this point - as I can route things myself the way I want before going into the mix.
That Befaco ST Mix looks perfect fit, thanks..

this user has left ModularGrid

Yes, more modulation is very important! Besides Maths, I like Intellijel Quadrax with the expander a lot as it provides lots of modulation options.

One vote for the Rackbrute from over here! I like the wooden cheeks and I don't like the look of the Mantis. I also have a 3U like the OP and really like how they look together.

Thrashed out a variation on the initial build...
ModularGrid Rack
Mantis cab, as before. But there have been changes.

Top row now starts with a Doepfer A-119 so that you can inject external audio sources into this thing. Then there's a pair of Klavis's wavetable-based dual VCOs, which now gives you FOUR VCOs. Oh, and they've got internal quantizing. So, four VCOs means four VCAs, and that's what the Codex Modulex Veils clone is for here, but it's followed by a six-input panning module that then sets up your stereo chain, plus it allows you to pan/mix two other signals pre-VCF. As for the VCF...I sorta went all-out here and went with a Rossum Linnaeus, which has some crazy-cool features, including thru-zero modulation. After that, two more Veils-type VCAs from After Later, then Beads for some DSP FSU. The Timizoara is after that, next to the TexMix...which now has the PROPER input group so that you can use the Timizoara AND the Rings as 1-in/2-out FX processors via the Master section. The Stereo input group has no level VCAs, no FX sends, etc...but the Mono input module DOES have those, and you really don't need four stereo mix inputs (the build isn't big/complex enough) anyway.

Bottom row begins with the Tempi/Rene pair. Yeah, pair...because the revised Rene and the Tempi have a lot of "behind the panel" hidden functions that let them do a lot more than either module alone. With that there, there's no need for the Pam's and much of the O&_c's functions are also dealt with (like no need for quantizers with the Twin Waves). The Noise Reap uLoaf is a pair of "misbehaved" LFOs that have a "semi-sync" between them...much more complex than your everyday LFOs. And then, the OTHER "DUSG-alike" besides Maths: the Befaco Rampage. Both owe their lineage to the Serge Dual Universal Slope Gen, but the Befaco has some minor differences as well as 2 hp less space requires. After that, a Frap 321 and another After Later dual VCA give you a "manipulation core" for the modulation signals, and then a VOID Dual ADSR gives you two "proper" envelopes. Rings then closes out the row, placed near the TexMix so that you can use it as something of a "tuned space" for short reverbs...with the warpy capability of modulation over a number of parameters that you tend to NOT associate with short room reverbs.

Yeah, this draws out a lot of downright odd and idiosyncratic things...which really will make this build sound and behave more like an integrated instrument. Now, as for the mults...just use inline widgets, stackcables, etc, as there's not really enough space in the build for mults. You need your space in this purely for functionality. Likewise, some other large modules were booted because...large. For example, the Frap 321 actually has a smallscale matrix mixing capability, but it occupies SIX hp as opposed to the 20 hp of the A-138m. And the Morphagene didn't fit at all, but with the Beads onboard, you won't miss it all that much. But yeah, some stuff got cut altogether, others got smaller, and the overall capability went up. Funny how that works in modular...

woa, thanks.
It is really hard to know everything what is available out there.. so someone with much more high overview is really appreciated.

ModularGrid Rack

I got my first rack, in the end went with 2 Mantis cases. Have some free space left for eventual expansion. I followed general advice on voice structure of @Lugia - but got some extras and things to play with. There's plenty of modulation sources, maybe only thing missing is the lfo's, but I can achieve that with Endorphin.es Shuttle Control (with macbook). I also have the Erica Synths Matrix Mixer on the side, which is a 16 x 16 audio/cv mixer, which allows me to copy sound channels or cv channels.
I have already my first patch and it sounds great! Thank you generous people for helping with this, it's going to be a great time!