Just tried setting up a pedalboard build for my tandem string rig (1952 National Dual-8 lap steel, Suzuki Ran Alto taishogoto) and...uhhhhhhh...

Honestly, it's like the rest of Modulargrid threw up and all that barf wound up in Pedals. There are things in there that really, REALLY don't belong...such as iPads, DJ mixers, entire synths, pedalboards (no, not the ones in the build setup page, but entire empty pedalboards which, of course, you CAN'T put pedals on since MG thinks they are pedals), and so on. As an example, something such as a Vermona DRM-1 isn't a pedal, isn't supposed to be on a pedalboard but OBVIOUSLY should be in a 19" rack. The rack ears are a bit of a giveaway, natch.

And on and on and on. Hell, who knew that a pic of the lion from "Madagascar" was a "really good" wah? For a dollar?

And then there's users who put any ol' image of a pedal on there, not thinking/realizing that the pedalboard builds are supposed to be viewed from the top-down, so angled images of pedals are nice as a reference, but lousy if you're actually trying to determine pedal spacing on a board. Plus...plenty of missing stats, especially prices.

Really, this ought to be cleaned up and corrected. It has the potential to be as important a resource as the modular synth sections, but it's seriously compromised to the point that going through the different manufacturer pages becomes a hideous chore. Stompboxes are 100% useful, and definitely fit into the same scheme of things as modular components, but if the database is as fouled as it is right now, no amount of usefulness of pedals can counterbalance the info-slog that haunts the section. And yeah...some of these things aren't exactly pedals, but they fit, such as the DF Mini Bay. But I double-dawg-dare someone to put a Launchpad on their floor and work it with feet. Not. A. Pedal...nor does it really work with them.

I did not even know there was a pedal board builder 🤔

That's what I get for not checking drop-down menus.

I did not even know there was a pedal board builder 🤔

That's what I get for not checking drop-down menus.

I also don't know why this posted twice, or why part of it is highlighted in red...

Just tried setting up a pedalboard build for my tandem string rig (1952 National Dual-8 lap steel, Suzuki Ran Alto taishogoto) and...uhhhhhhh...
-- Lugia

I know it's bad. We tried to delete everything that is not a pedal but users reupload them again and again.
So that brought me to rethink the usecase. In the meantime I think all the desktop devices like the small synths make kind of sense and we think we should keep the modular user in focus with all his gear. That user does not stomp on the pedals but has them sitting on the table next to his sequencer and drum machine.
Still I know it is a mess and i hope we will find the time to improve it. You think it should be strictly pedals and everything else private/hidden uploads?

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

I think all the desktop devices like the small synths make kind of sense and we think we should keep the modular user in focus with all his gear. That user does not stomp on the pedals but has them sitting on the table next to his sequencer and drum machine.

Exactly! I've made many setups that incorporate both pedals and other devices like small mixers, synths, power conditioners, patch bays, clocks, recording devices, etc. and often are built onto actual PedalTrain pedalboards (or sometimes into rack cases). A majority of the time these will sit on a table/desk and are operated by hand.

Simple fix: Name it "Pedals and more". I'm Looking through the new uploads right now and really getting a lot of inspiration and want to build some of my Hardware setups (which combine "pedals and more"). This plus some patch cables is even a lot more usable to me than patching on a modular synth setup.

...There are things in there that really, REALLY don't belong...such as iPads, DJ mixers, entire synths...
-- Lugia

Simple fix: Name it "Pedals and more"...
-- zuggamasta

maybe a property like "pedal", "foot operated" or "floor device" that can be activated in the search filter would make sense!?

maybe a property like "pedal", "foot operated" or "floor device" that can be activated in the search filter would make sense!?
-- modular01

Yeah. 👍 Maybe a checkbox like there is for "Show other/unknown" but instead would say something like "Show other devices" and would be unchecked by default. And then there would be a property in the submit/edit pedal options that reads "This is not a foot pedal" to put them in the category of "other device"?

I suppose to get the ball rolling if that option was added MG could use a script to check the "This is not a foot pedal" for all entries that are not from known pedal manufacturers? Of course some will get checked that shouldn't be and vice versa but it should catch most?

Please don't kill the synths, mixers, sequencers and other useful stuff. A pedalboard is a super useful vehicle to build portable live synth setups and MG really helped me planning with building mine on a Templeboard Trio 43. But I agree that trashy/bad stuff (Madagascar...) should be deleted. Maybe add a reporting feature?

Oh and regarding the "pedalboard pedals": This is clearly a sign that users need more pre-defined pedalboards. (So do I, the plywood sucks so hard...) Perhaps there could be even something arranged with the board manufacturers, it could be a nice lil advertise to have the boards available like that. I mean... Temple Audio even built something on their own with templeplanner.com.