Any reason NOT to use higher-end monitors while experimenting with modular?

I use a variety of high end and middle end gear to listen to modular. The only things I do are:
-- make sure I have a limiter in the DAW when I go modular --> DAW --> nice monitors
-- in another room I sometimes play through a Line6 PowerCab, in which case I make sure to turn on other gear before I turn on the cab, so I avoid power on / off transients

Modular levels can be very hot, so you would want to set those to zero or otherwise limit / control them so you don't run into problems with downstream gear. Most modular out modules already do this.

Overall, I think its fine to monitor with whatever you want, just follow some basic protections you would likely follow with any audio source.

As #nickgreenberg mentioned, a modular out module will solve many problems before they happen. I use the Ladik A-541 which has the added benefit of offering balanced connections (I also have the corresponding Ladik A-545 Input module.). The Ladik is very affordable and also has metering. My Yamaha HS-5s are quite happy with this arrangement.

I use the pair of joranalogue modules for anything out just to be safe. Would they serve the purpose well? I just wasn't sure how much limiting was going on.

I use the ES-9 outs to the inputs of a Motu M4 audio interface that is connected to my monitors. The ES-9 outs come from an iPad where I control all levels. The Motu isn't connected to the iPad (iOS can only do one audio interface at a time) -just straight in & out. So it's a pretty robust chain. If I want to, I connect the Motu to my mac for more fun.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

I used to run things through my SSL2+ but for now I wanted to just be able to mess with things off the computer. I have it going into a knockoff auratone, so its destruction, while not ideal, wouldn't be horrible. They are still floating around, beware!

I use the pair of joranalogue modules for anything out just to be safe. Would they serve the purpose well? I just wasn't sure how much limiting was going on.
-- EatTrumpet

I assume you mean the Joranalogue Transmit and Receive. Yes, perfect. I chose the Ladik's I mentioned for their cost-effectiveness (and they use 30% less power than the Joranalogue). I also didn't need the XLR connections as my board accepts balanced TRS.

-- EatTrumpet

I'm using the Joranalogue Transmit and Receive. There's no limiting in those modules, but there's good built-in metering and headphones out on the Transmit with volume control .

I also have a pair of Bubblesound Booster and Reducer to give me extra in/out when needed. Not as hifi as the Joranalogues, but they do what they're supposed to do and can give some extra drive when you want that.

I'm always recording in my DAW at 24 bit. It's good practice to set your peaks at -6 dB in your DAW and - when needed - add some gain, EQ and compression/limiter in the mixing or mastering stage of your tracks. I never use a limiter on my tracks when recording : better reduce your gain so it's not clipping when recording. If you work in 24 bit, there's more than enough room to add gain after recording.

My music on Bandcamp - Instagram - YouTube

Given the amount of sheer unadulterated BASS that you can get out of a modular without even trying hard, I would suggest that you go with monitors that have at the very least 8" drivers for the low end. I use a pair of SF-era KRKs, myself...9000Bs...as "critical nearfields" with a Crest FA601 amp. However, be careful that what you get is actually rather flat; one monitor that I've learned to DREAD are the horrid Yamaha NS10Ms and the various descendants of those...they make everything sound like refried ass when you check your mix on more typical monitors. Some people swear by them; much of my time with them over the years found me swearing AT them. Just. Say. No.

Try and find something that's more "point source-ish", actually. Uli's reissued some of the Tannoy single-point ones for decent prices, but my money would be on the more-spendy powered Presonus Scepter 8s. But get the best thing you can afford...monitoring is 100% NOT the part you skimp on, as that subsystem of your studio is how you know what you're doing!

I use a pair of PreSonus Eros E5’s without issue fed via a Sono Abitus output module into my PreSonus Studio 20C interface with the speakers connected to its monitor outputs. for headphones I use Beyerdynamic ~D~~t900’s but you have to be careful of the output levels as bass resonance can rise suddenly to quite high levels.

The only advice I;’d give is don’t buy rear ported monitors, most people end up with their monitors near a rear wall which will boost your bass levels way beyond what you wasn’t and annoy the hell out of your neighbours, so go for front ports or a sealed box design.