https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1937039.jpg

I started with Eurorack approximately 2 months ago. My goal is to make a live techno rack. I want to be able to maybe do my first live gig within now and 6 months. I'm still learning a lot about modular, and this is the first post im making on the forum!

My 'problem' is that i feel like I subconsciously bought my first couple of modules in a way where I wanted to move as much as possible towards what I could already do in a DAW. At the moment i have 176 HP of free space and I am curious what experienced modular friends think I should add to this case to make it feel even more powerful.

The things I feel like i miss the most are a good deep Bass sound. I am gonna sell the doepfer oscillator because i just don't really like it. Thinking about getting a Dixie II. But than again I am not sure how i am going to sequence the bass sound yet. any tips on this?

For the rest I am open to hear all your suggestions on what you guys would think that my Live (deep)Techno Rack would need!

Greetings,
QkelleQ

and here's the actual link - jpgs are useless!!!

ModularGrid Rack

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

The things I feel like i miss the most are a good deep Bass sound. I am gonna sell the doepfer oscillator because i just don't really like it. Thinking about getting a Dixie II.

what exactly do you not like about the doepfer vco? - it's a fine vco and should be good for any use (I have the basic version and it works fine for bass lines) - you may find that you actually want 2 identical vcos, slightly detune them* and mix the waveforms before filtering them - you may find exactly the same issue with the dixie II

note you might actually want to tune the vcos (including plaits) if you aren't already doing this - this will set the pitch response to 0v - you can almost definitely download a tuner onto your phone for free

a simple clock divider is also a good inexpensive idea - send the square wave from the vco to it - /2 = -1 8ve, /4 = -2 8ves etc etc (but remember for a good bass sound to actually cut through properly you'll also want some higher frequency information)

you might also find a different filter really helps - doepfer wasp adds a nice bit of grit, for example!

*this is often what gives a 'phat' bass sound

But than again I am not sure how i am going to sequence the bass sound yet. any tips on this?
-- QkelleQ

the metropolix has 2 pitch sequencing channels - would you not use one of those? it may also help if you got a simple adsr - possibly a vcadsr - doepfer make a perfectly good one

remember to use a buffered multiple to copy the pitch voltages

more mixers is probably a good idea - submixers and a matrix mixer - again doepfer work well for a reasonable price!!

see my signature for a basic guide to getting the most versatility in your modular synthesizer for the least cash

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities