I recently acquired a Moog DFAM/M32/SubH three tier setup. In the past I have just clocked everything in my modular setup with PAMs via BeatStepPro (BSP is USB connected to sync with Ableton Live so I can either clock with Live or if I don't want to use Live just use BSP to clock everything). To date I haven't really used "reset" inputs on anything and with the acquisition of the Moog components I'm thinking its about time to learn :)

I also have Varigate 4+ and Bloom in my modular setup and would also like to reset those when needed.

What is used to send a 'reset' signal...is it just a gate on step one from a primary sequencer?
How do you send a reset to multiple devices? I have Links...just send signal to Links 1 in 3 out section?

Very interested in hearing how others use 'reset' and what is driving your use of 'reset'

JB

yeah just a gate at the start of a sequence should do the job..

as for sending the reset signal to multiple modules, a passive mult (or stackcables, or headphone splitters) should work perfectly, it's a bit of a waste using the buffered mult from links - better for pitch (and potentially if you are re-patching triggers on the fly)

I generally only reset at the start of a track, especially when layering multitrack recording - so manually stop/arm things - black sequencer, BSP, sinfonion and logic (pams is set up to reset by logic not sending a clock for a while and then receiving one)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

My favourite use so far is to send gates to resets on sequencers you might have , say you have an eight note sequence you might reset a few times in bar to get a role effect . Dreamt for drum sequencers and arp patterns to give some variation .

Pams has a clock and run/reset input. I understand that you slave it to the Beatstep Pro but not sync them in any way (so you're not telling pams to restart when the BSP does). To do this, I'd suggest to set BSP's clock out to a rate of 24 pulses per quarter note (or PPQN) in the MIDI Control Centre. Faster clock rates between time-synched devices leads to a more stable clock down the line.

A quick look at the BSP manual says that since an update you can use a TRS to dual TS cable to get both a clock signal and a run signal out of the clock output (section 7.2). I haven't tested this, so do that at your own risk, but if I understand correctly, it'd sync out of the box with Pams (make sure to set run input to be assigned to run on Pams). Cable to use is not a standard stereo splitter but stereo to dual mono, like the Hosa YMM261.

(the manual only talks about a clock and run signal when BSP is used as slave, but on the Muffwiggler topic people say it also works when using BSP as main and Pams as slave https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193133)

About your question on how to use resets on other modules, the easiest way is to send a clock signal every x divisions of the clock.
For example, let the clock run and on every 4 or 8 clock ticks you send a reset signal as well. Both clock and reset can are the same sort of signals, a trigger (short pulse) or gate (longer pulse) will do.

Depending on the module, the reset input can cause different behavior. This is in my experience often not documented and up to you to figure out.

Some modules like Mutable Instruments Grids (which is a drum sequencer) have the reset input tell the module that the NEXT clock pulse is going to be back on the first step. A typical use-case will be that you send a reset signal when you stop your Beatstep Pro. When it starts again, the module starts on the first step as well. You can also send a reset signal while the clock is running, it will always play nice with the clock as it will tell the module to wait for the next clock and then go back to the first step. I hope this explanation makes sense.

Another way that modules, for example the TipTop Z8000 (a CV sequencer), interpret a reset signal is that the reset input tells the module to set back to the first step AS SOON as the reset gets a signal. This means that if you use the above use-case (send a reset signal when you stop your Beatstep and then start the Beatstep again), the "stop" reset signal will move the module to the first step, and the first hit of the started clock will advance the module to the second step. This basically skips the first step.
Let's say you have a 8-step CV sequencer module (like the sequencer on the DFAM) that uses this type of implementation for the reset in. You don't want a sequence of 8 steps, but instead 4. So you send it a clock and as a reset every 4 clock ticks. What could happen is that it resets to step 1, but because the clock is hitting as the same time as the reset, it will immediately move to step two on the same clock tick.
Your 4-step sequence will not run from step 1 till step 4, but from step 2 to step 5. Highly frustrating.

To test what reset implementation your module has, send a very slow clock and reset to it and see if it skips steps. If it does, Pams has a solution built in to fix this. Head over to the channel that sends the clock to the module, and go the logic option. Select the ^ symbol (stands for Exclusive OR) of the Pams channel that sends out the reset. This will create a clock output that gets muted when the clock channel puts out a signal, effectively skipping the step that hits on the reset.

as for sending the reset signal to multiple modules, a passive mult (or stackcables, or headphone splitters) should work perfectly, it's a bit of a waste using the buffered mult from links - better for pitch (and potentially if you are re-patching triggers on the fly)

thanks for this info...separately I have an Intelijel buffered mult (no passive mults in my setup) so i will just use that for any gate to Varigate 4+ and Bloom...but also need to get one sent to my separate 3-tier Moog setup...does the signal for a gate diminish in strength if you 'mult' it out too much?

(pams is set up to reset by logic not sending a clock for a while and then receiving one)

how does this work? receives one from BSP?

JB

My favourite use so far is to send gates to resets on sequencers you might have , say you have an eight note sequence you might reset a few times in bar to get a role effect . Dreamt for drum sequencers and arp patterns to give some variation .
-- arkatun

interesting, will have to give this a try...so you mean send a gate to reset every or every other note?

JB

About your question on how to use resets on other modules, the easiest way is to send a clock signal every x divisions of the clock.
For example, let the clock run and on every 4 or 8 clock ticks you send a reset signal as well. Both clock and reset can are the same sort of signals, a trigger (short pulse) or gate (longer pulse) will do.

Wow, what a great answer...so much useful information in your reply, thank you very much!!

JB

thanks for this info...separately I have an Intelijel buffered mult (no passive mults in my setup) so i will just use that for any gate to Varigate 4+ and Bloom...but also need to get one sent to my separate 3-tier Moog setup...does the signal for a gate diminish in strength if you 'mult' it out too much?

I don't think so, most trigger/gate outputs are between 5V and 8V. It depends per module what the input threshold voltage is for a gate, from a quick Google search I found that some modules respond to a gate input of 1.4V.
Buffered mults are more stable in voltage, this is mostly used for sending pitch information. For triggers/gates, mult however you want them.

Pams has a clock and run/reset input. I understand that you slave it to the Beatstep Pro but not sync them in any way (so you're not telling pams to restart when the BSP does). To do this, I'd suggest to set BSP's clock out to a rate of 24 pulses per quarter note (or PPQN) in the MIDI Control Centre. Faster clock rates between time-synched devices leads to a more stable clock down the line.

A quick look at the BSP manual says that since an update you can use a TRS to dual TS cable to get both a clock signal and a run signal out of the clock output (section 7.2). I haven't tested this, so do that at your own risk, but if I understand correctly, it'd sync out of the box with Pams (make sure to set run input to be assigned to run on Pams). Cable to use is not a standard stereo splitter but stereo to dual mono, like the Hosa YMM261.

(the manual only talks about a clock and run signal when BSP is used as slave, but on the Muffwiggler topic people say it also works when using BSP as main and Pams as slave https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193133)

-- dubstepjoris

Sync outputs a clock (set to 24 ppqn for PNW) and a "run gate". I'm using Befaco Y-splitters to sync my Keystep Pro or OXI to Pams: it has dedicated inputs for these sync signals. Or the other way around with the pexp-1: Pams as a master (clock and gate) to sync in of KSP, OXI or even a DAW (by using an audio input for clock and run). There's no risk in using this type of clock: I actually prefer it over midi clock.

My music on Bandcamp - Instagram - YouTube