I own a moog mother 32, a subharmonicon and a Dfam. I want to expand my rig and get into modular, I am thinking wether I should include my mother 32 in the eurorack or not?
Also I am not 100 % sure if I wanna go with a 3U 126 hp case or a 6U 88 hp.
I know that I should go as big as I can but I also don't wanna buy something too big, any suggestions?

what do you think of this ?

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks!

I don't know where the post is, but someone did actual calculations on the wasted $ per HP when you mount a semi modular like M32 (that can easily stand on its own) in a rack. If you have the trifecta (DFAM/M32/SubH) go on Reverb and look up three tier Moog racks...for $100-$150 you can get a really nice wooden three tier rack that you can mount all three of them in (thats what I did with mine). As far as the size case to get, it really depends on what you're goals are...the 6U 88 would give you more HP overall and everyone will most likely tell you that whatever you decide you want to buy for your case, get something bigger. The Tip-Top Mantis cases are highly regarded for their overall value...I personally like the Rackbrute cases because two of them wide fit perfectly on the table I use and I like their design for portability if I ever get the courage to do some live performing

JB

I agree with jb. When I got into Eurorack, I was looking at one 84hp rack, based on a free 3U space in my studio's 19" rack. Because of the advice here, I got a 7U 104hp rack instead. A few months later, it's now full. Get a Mantis (6U, 104hp) to start with. It's cheaper than the 7U and the 1U has far less choice in modules anyway. You won't regret going bigger.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

I don't know where the post is, but someone did actual calculations on the wasted $ per HP when you mount a semi modular like M32 (that can easily stand on its own) in a rack. If you have the trifecta (DFAM/M32/SubH) go on Reverb and look up three tier Moog racks...for $100-$150 you can get a really nice wooden three tier rack that you can mount all three of them in (thats what I did with mine). As far as the size case to get, it really depends on what you're goals are...the 6U 88 would give you more HP overall and everyone will most likely tell you that whatever you decide you want to buy for your case, get something bigger. The Tip-Top Mantis cases are highly regarded for their overall value...I personally like the Rackbrute cases because two of them wide fit perfectly on the table I use and I like their design for portability if I ever get the courage to do some live performing
-- jb61264

Thanks a lot man!

I agree with jb. When I got into Eurorack, I was looking at one 84hp rack, based on a free 3U space in my studio's 19" rack. Because of the advice here, I got a 7U 104hp rack instead. A few months later, it's now full. Get a Mantis (6U, 104hp) to start with. It's cheaper than the 7U and the 1U has far less choice in modules anyway. You won't regret going bigger.
-- Arrandan

thanks !

Really appreciate your advice!

and another vote for the Mantis - by far the best option for a case based on price/hp/reputation of manufacturer/decent power supply... also incredibly portable - I've dragged mine all over the place - by car, plane, train and bus... and that's in the newer bag - there's also a 3rd party suitcase available...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks man!

I started with a M32, DFAM, and Subharmonicon as well!

Definitely agree with what others have already said about keeping them out of your eurorack while starting out.

I have mine in a three tier Moog rack. I bought some 84hp rails and tiptop zeus power supply and made a 9u x 84hp rack to sit beside the Moog one. I could use the Moog rack as a bit of a te plate to cut the sides of the diy rack. They look good together 🙂

Otherwise 4ms pods or powered cases by ALM could be a nice choice.

Would also recommend checking for any second hand cases on modular buy/sell groups.

My first case was a 84HP in a 19"-rack as well. It didn't take long to fill it, as was to be expected, but we all have to go down this road as it seems ...
I built my second case (6U 104HP) out of beech wood and bought rails separatedly. I use a TipTop uZeus as power supply. I had a lot of fun building the case, it was not difficult at all and came out significantly cheaper (and nicer ...) as the Mantis. We all know modular is not cheap, but the prices for the cases are far beyond reasonable IMHO.