Hi all,
I've received a secondhand RYK M185 module today - the thing is pretty dope. Awesome for making acid baselines!
However when I tried to hook it up to my other gear to use it's clock as a slave, it noticed that the settings menu (where you set the midi in jack to be used as a reset) is different from the manual.
Instinctively I tried to update the firmware, but that doesn't seem to work either. When I hook up a midi monitor from my laptop via a midi - usb interface, the midi out of the M185 seems to work perfect but the midi is gives no reponse, both the sysex firmware update and sending notes in (what I think is) the midi to CV mode.
Does some have an older version of the M185 manual or can maybe knows why the firmware update is not working?
Thanks in advance!

Update: I have the older manual now, but the midi input port is still not responding to both midi messages and sysex file transfers. I can exclude some causes with my cable management, since the midi out is working fine (sending note and gate data, tested on laptop's midi in monitor and the midi in on one of my synths - this works like a charm!) Things I have tried to find out what the problem actually is:

• The midi to cv mode (powering on while holding the left arrow key). This is not working, but it might be helpfull to say that when the module is powered on in this mode, the CV1 output moves to approx. +5.24 volt, except when voltage mode is set to 5V unquantized, then the CV1 output moves to approx. +1.92 volt. CV2 moves to +5.24 volgt and gate2 to +4.45 volt.
  • Booting into the firware update mode (powering on while holding reset key). The two left ligths are red but nothing happens when I send a sysex file (both the A & B files)
  • Different midi to TRS adapters (the one provided and adapters from 1010music, arturia and Empress effects)
  • Flipping the mini switches on the back of the module - I've tried all four combinations
  • Two different midi-usb interfaces

It's been fixed :D I had contact with RYK and they were very responsive and helpful. They instructed me to do some continuity checks the trace they've send me lead to IC9 (on the bottom left IC on the main PCB). This IC is responsible for the midi input I guess and it had a leg that was not soldered properly. Added some extra tin and the module works like a charm. Updating it through sysex was a piece of cake as well.

The module now works as intended for me, as the newer firmware has the option to use the midi input as a clock reset. This method is solid and patching the reset from something like a euclidean rythm is really fun.

Props again to RYK, their support is very responsive and even though a third party build it they were willing to help me sort out the problem.