It seems as though, when a rack is using the default (or only) panel version for a module, whenever someone uploads a new version, that replaces the panel in all existing racks, even though the old
panel is preserved and can be restored by manually swapping it back into the rack.

It would be really nice if by default existing racks kept their old panel images. It’s kind of frustrating to pull up an older rack and find a bunch of panels have been swapped out.

Not that big of a deal in the end, but if you care at all about module faceplate colors especially, it's nice if they stay the same once they're in a rack.

Agreed! I was just searching this subject. I don't want to change a bunch of other peoples racks just because I want the non-standard knobs on my module to be represented in my ModularGrid rack. I "could" create a separate hidden module but it seems a waste of time and server space. hmmm, maybe I'll upload my panel version, and then right away upload a copy of the current panel version?

Maybe a check box next to the panel image upload button the is labeled "Make This Image The Default?" or a popup prompt etc would be good?