Thanks, in advance, for your help. I'm looking for some advice about my first rack.

Some quick info about me: I play guitar, keys, harmonica, and sing. I've been building a home studio since 2020. Guitar is my primary instrument. I'm a pretty skilled finger-picker. I would say my first passion is songwriting; but I'm starting to want to play out again after a long hiatus. And I'm fine with spending a couple years learning how to incorporate modular into what I do before I get back out gigging. Lastly, I'll add that while I love lots of more traditional music, I also love electronic music of all sorts--anything from, say, Aphex or Autechre or Floating Points to more song-writer oriented electronic music like Nicolas Jaar, The Notwist or Bjork.

I've purchased Poly2 and ES-9 to connect the rack to my Synthstrom Deluge and DAW (Logic / MainStage) . I'm also in the process of practicing and learning VCV Rack.

Here's the rack as it currently stands: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2047740.jpg

A few questions:

--Do I have too many utilities? I like the idea of the two VCA's and a buff mult. But I feel like I"m forcing more utilities into the rack on account of the 1U row.

--A related question: Should I go for a different case? I'd like my case to be portable, have sufficient power, decent ergonomics and give me room to grow. I was thinking the Intellijel 104HP 7U, because it hits these criteria. I think I'll fill it quickly; but I like how I can add a second case when needed. What I don't like is the 1U row (and then having it again in a second case). Alternatively, I've been looking at a Pittsburg Modular EP-360. Any suggestions?

--I have some budget remaining, and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything you think I should include in the initial setup.

Thanks again. One of the pleasures of starting to explore modular has been seeing what a supportive and engaged community it is.

I think you're basically wasting the 1u row here, between two Quadratt's and the mults.

For the case option... If portability is the goal, I would not necessarily suggest the Pittsburgh 360 case... it is excellent, and built like a tank... and HEAVY. You would not want to lift/carry it when it is full of modules.

the EricaSynths case looks like a good one

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/enclosures/travel/travel-case/

please post the url of your public rack - jpgs are shit for getting us to help you!!!

I'd consider a tiptop mantis - slightly smaller than the intellijel as no 1u row - but don't get me started on them (I'm not a fan) - it's portable - mine has been in planes, trains, buses and cars quite a bit with no problems - even in the basic padded case - there are also briefcase sty;e hard cases available if needed

do you have too many utilities? almost definitely not - see my signature - I'd say 30%+ of your rack being utilities is where you want to be... probably more - but I do include both sequencers and controllers as 'utilities'

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities