Hi!

What do you think of my setup?

ModularGrid Rack

My sound sources are Assimil8or, Morphagene, Akemie's Castle, DPO, STO, Stages (in harmonic oscillator mode) and Panharmonium. This gives me high-resolution sampling (Assimil8or), old-school digital FM (Akemie's Castle), an analog complex oscillator with FM (DPO) and additive synthesis (Stages and Panharmonium). The DPO adds some additional analog waveforms and a sub-oscillator.

Filters like Ripples/Popple, Shelves, Variable Q VCF and Resonant Equalizer provide warmth. Erbe-Verbe and Echophon provide digital effects that are a bit on the lo-fi/cold side. It may be a bit overkill, but I put three FX AID XL in there as well, for additional effects and utilities.

Speaking of potential overkill, I put three Mixups in there. I'm using ES-9 with Ableton Live, but I like to be able to work without a computer as well. (I'm having the hiss problem with both Mimeophon and Morphagene (when mix/SOS is not fully CW), so I'm planning to use the “IN 3L” and “IN 3R” Mixup channels to be able to adjust the levels related to those modules.)

A Keystep Pro is used for sequencing (if Ableton Live is not used for that). 0-Ctrl can sequence as well, and be quantized using Scales if desired. I'm planning to try to use Frames to extend the CV capabilities of the KeyStep Pro.

Dual VCDrive modules can add distortion to the stereo audio from Morphagene. Streams can act as a stereo LPG.

The second Stages can provide envelopes and LFOs for Akemie's Castle.

O'Tool+ can be used for tuning.

The WMD MSCL compressor can glue the mix together if desired.

Thanks!

Hey,

you mentioned a "hiss problem", when working with ES-9 and Morphagene or Mimeophon... what exactly is the problem there? Do you know, where it is coming from?

best...

you mentioned a "hiss problem", when working with ES-9 and Morphagene or Mimeophon... what exactly is the problem there? Do you know, where it is coming from?

It's actually not related to the ES-9. The hiss problem has been discussed at length on Mod Wiggler, for example in the main Mimeophon thread. I'm not sure if the cause of the hiss has been identified.

You can hear the hiss at 00:54 here (not my video):

I have tried the modules in both an Erica Synths 6U Monster Case and a 4MS 40X Pod, and the problem has been present in both configurations. I will soon try with a Meanwell 120W PSU and Konstant Lab HammerPWR with a filtered bus board. I'm in Europe.

It's actually not related to the ES-9. The hiss problem has been discussed at length on Mod Wiggler, for example in the main Mimeophon thread. I'm not sure if the cause of the hiss has been identified.

Ok, didn't know about this, thx.
Skimmed over, but seems to remain unsolved by make noise.

I like your setup and especially that you want to be able to work without external computer.
Have you thought about Bitbox or anything similar? It's of course not as direct as the DAW-link via ES-9, but works in some ways also without DAW.

I like your setup and especially that you want to be able to work without external computer.
Have you thought about Bitbox or anything similar? It's of course not as direct as the DAW-link via ES-9, but works in some ways also without DAW.

After having tried and sold a Blackbox, I suspect the Bitbox isn't for me. I didn't like the experience of using the Blackbox, and I suspect Bitbox might be similar. Reading about it, I got the feeling that's it's a bit menu divy and unpolished. So I went for the Assimil8or instead. Assimil8or has a higher bitrate and so far seems like a better fit for me personally.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Have you thought about Bitbox or anything similar?

By the way... I did try the Bluebox as well, with a similar experience. Sold that too. 😊

Have you thought about Bitbox or anything similar?

I have been looking for more advanced sequencers than Keystep Pro. So far, the most interesting eurorack option has probably been the NerdSEQ, but I don't like how “grid-based” it is. I tried FH-2 with Squarp Pyramid (with an external keyboard), but I didn't jive with that UI either.

I have been looking for more advanced sequencers than Keystep Pro. So far, the most interesting eurorack option has probably been the NerdSEQ, but I don't like how “grid-based” it is. I tried FH-2 with Squarp Pyramid (with an external keyboard), but I didn't jive with that UI either.
-- ecstatic_sutherland

More advanced than keystep pro?... uh, ok.

I do have some experience with NerdSeq and I love it, because it makes a kind of Metal Gear Solid retro feeling to me.
It is capable of playing back loads of programmed information and modulation (not my video):

But NerdSeq really needs all of my patience, and it feels a bit like programming - I'm also attaching an external display and a computer-keyboard with the expander, haha!
I don't work with external midi-gear but there is a limited option for micro timings in Nerdseq => it affects a whole step in the pattern, not only one note.

Maybe this information helps you.

BTW: whats your goal with the overall rack? Recording, live gigs, improvisation, playing with band...?

More advanced than keystep pro?... uh, ok.

Advanced may not be the right word. 🤔 One limitation is the lack of channels/outputs when it comes to complete arrangements. Four channels with only one mod output per channel isn't quite enough for my case. Another limitation is that it's difficult to get an overview of the arrangement. Also, while patterns can be sequenced together, I don't think it's convenient to program entire songs on it. As things stand right now, I think the DAW is the best option for me when I get to this stage.

My thinking is that things like Keystep Pro, O-Ctrl and Marbles can inspire me and help me get started. The DAW can be a bit uninspiring to me, but when I get to the point where I'm hit with the limitations in Keystep Pro, I'm hoping it won't matter. 😊

I do have some experience with NerdSeq and I love it, because it makes a kind of Metal Gear Solid retro feeling to me.
It is capable of playing back loads of programmed information and modulation [...]
But NerdSeq really needs all of my patience, and it feels a bit like programming - I'm also attaching an external display and a computer-keyboard with the expander, haha!
I don't work with external midi-gear but there is a limited option for micro timings in Nerdseq => it affects a whole step in the pattern, not only one note.

Maybe this information helps you.

BTW: whats your goal with the overall rack? Recording, live gigs, improvisation, playing with band...?

Thank you, it sure does!

I was eyeing that display and keyboard expander as well. 😊

My goal is to record songs that are more... organic than retro. Ambient soundscapes, but probably IDM and glitchy stuff as well. In that context, I'm suspecting NerdSEQ might be a bit too rigid.

What else would you like to see in the system? Or are there any modules you would replace?

I'm would be curious to hear about modules I may have missed, or interesting alternatives. 😊

You can hear the hiss at 00:54 here (not my video):

I have tried the modules in both an Erica Synths 6U Monster Case and a 4MS 40X Pod, and the problem has been present in both configurations. I will soon try with a Meanwell 120W PSU and Konstant Lab HammerPWR with a filtered bus board. I'm in Europe.
-- ecstatic_sutherland

Just a quick update: the hiss is still present with the Meanwell 120W PSU and Konstant Lab HammerPWR with a filtered bus board power solution.