apologies if this was already posted, couldn't find anything through search. i was looking everywhere on the web too before without any real success.
volca is a nice little box, but the lack of inbuilt bpm counter is a real downside, especially because it can fully connect only to other volcas, that's kind of unfair. so the setup for this topic is volca modular + behringer netron + arturia keystep 37. i'm avare of voltage differences, but this isn't the question here. however tempo sync should be possible i hope. i tried sync out of keystep to volca's sync in while keystep's clock as in manual is set to internal mode. this doesn't even allow to play previously recorded sequence on volca. any ideas?

i guess this question was way too dumb to answer :D

what does the volca manual expect as a clock - usually stated as ppqn (pulses per quarter note)? - can the beatstep be set up to send this?

what voltage is the volca expecting as a clock? the beatstep might not be sending out enough voltage, in which case an amplifier of some sort would be needed...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I havent touched my volca modular in two years and even back then did not dig deep. I suggest to look at many videos of the volca modular, there is one input you need a cable with a stereo plug to two monos so you have two inputs, on the volca there are patchpoints from which you can patch each of those two inputs to the destination of your choice. As far as i rememember its definitely possible to clock the sequencer.
Maybe you want to look into "undulations" youtubes channel he has in depth videos about the volca modular that might cover that.
I should dig out mine sometimes.
...edit and yes a gate is not a gate and a trig is not a trig, there are different formats, i don't know what the keystep puts out.

I don‘t own a Volca Modular, but I successfully synced my Beats, Bass, Keys, Sample and FM to a Keystep. In the Keystep-MIDI-Software there is a section where you can choose different sync-options. As Jim said you have to set it to the PPQN the Volca expects. If I remember correctly there is a KORG-setting, this should be the one.

what does the volca manual expect as a clock - usually stated as ppqn (pulses per quarter note)? - can the beatstep be set up to send this?

what voltage is the volca expecting as a clock? the beatstep might not be sending out enough voltage, in which case an amplifier of some sort would be needed...
-- JimHowell1970

I havent touched my volca modular in two years and even back then did not dig deep. I suggest to look at many videos of the volca modular, there is one input you need a cable with a stereo plug to two monos so you have two inputs, on the volca there are patchpoints from which you can patch each of those two inputs to the destination of your choice. As far as i rememember its definitely possible to clock the sequencer.
Maybe you want to look into "undulations" youtubes channel he has in depth videos about the volca modular that might cover that.
I should dig out mine sometimes.
...edit and yes a gate is not a gate and a trig is not a trig, there are different formats, i don't know what the keystep puts out.
-- znort101

I don‘t own a Volca Modular, but I successfully synced my Beats, Bass, Keys, Sample and FM to a Keystep. In the Keystep-MIDI-Software there is a section where you can choose different sync-options. As Jim said you have to set it to the PPQN the Volca expects. If I remember correctly there is a KORG-setting, this should be the one.
-- CoogLFish

!thanks a lot, JimHowell1970, znort101 & CoogLFish. this seems to be very helpful. will dive into undulations channel, looks great. yes, keystep can be set to ppqn through midi control center, i'm not sure about voltage though. will try to set up everything this week and post the results, hopefully this works :)