Hello, im considering buying a System 80 jove filter but I need to know if can filter audio signals that arent from an analog synth, like a drum machine or audio from my mixer. I am making dub reaggae and I was looking for a filter that had both hpf and lpf so I could use the auxillary sends on my mixer to filter guitar and drums ect. But i could not find any video or comment anywhere of anyone ever using it to filter anything but the signal from a synth.

I found that the vintage synth lab vcf-74 has everything I need hpf and lpf and can definetly handle signals from other sources but they seem like they're hard to come by.

Any help much apreciated

a filter will filter any audio signal

the only thing to watch out for is that most non-modular signals will be significantly quieter than modular level - so you will want to amplify the input signal - there are dedicated input modules available or you could use a vca that catually amplifies the input - such as veils (or a clone as it is discontinued) which has over 20dB gain available per channel...

nb most vcas don't increase gain - so make sure if you go the vca route that you find one that has ample gain available

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

a filter will filter any audio signal

the only thing to watch out for is that most non-modular signals will be significantly quieter than modular level - so you will want to amplify the input signal - there are dedicated input modules available or you could use a vca that catually amplifies the input - such as veils (or a clone as it is discontinued) which has over 20dB gain available per channel...

nb most vcas don't increase gain - so make sure if you go the vca route that you find one that has ample gain available
-- JimHowell1970

Thank you very much! I have an input module ready to boost my signals thank you much appreciated!