I'm almost done with a starter rack, but fell in the starter trap of case too smol.

After exploring a bunch of different brands and playing with my current setup, I think I've settled on a case size and system that feels really good to me, but I'd love your thoughts to see if I'm missing anything.

I want the system to so primarily four things (in order of importance):
1. Be a performable, generative electronic kusic system with decent versatility.
2. An effects processor for external audio.
3. A midi instrument to be played with keyboard (I have an arturia keystep).
4. Bleepblooper earcandy maker for my more pop-leaning music.

I feel like I got all my bases covered, but may be short on VCAs. I could get rid of the Happy Nerding Attenuators and replace with more VCAs, but not sure if I'd need the attenuation as utility. Please let me know what you think! Criticism + feedback on every element is welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look over :)

updated rack: ModularGrid Rack

to me it looks like too many voices for this size case - not enough utilities to support them - see my signature for some handy hints!!

maybe you've kept your original, smaller case... so you can use it for overspill - I'd definitely consider putting the DATA in it, along with some of the other modules - this would free up space for more utilities (including more vcas) and the expanders for batumi and zadar, which are really useful

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi Jim, thanks for the thoughtful response! I'm considering your advice right now! What type of utilities would you recommend in addition to what I have in the case already?

Update: I'd really rather keep the Data in if possible, but slimmed down the drum and synth voices to add on the XAOC expanders.

Hi Jim, thanks for the thoughtful response! I'm considering your advice right now! What type of utilities would you recommend in addition to what I have in the case already?

logic, matrix mixer, slew limiters, switches, sub-mixers etc etc - but you do need to work this out yourself, through research and experimentation - doepfer and ladik are definitely manufacturers to look at as both do a wide range of utilities that are inexpensive - remember in most cases utilities (including vcas) are for modulation as well as audio!

btw doesn't the vector have quantization built in?

Update: I'd really rather keep the Data in if possible, but slimmed down the drum and synth voices to add on the XAOC expanders.
-- slysteezy

I'm not suggesting necessarily getting rid of the DATA, just moving it out of the main case - I don't think you'll need it constantly (at least once you start to hear what's happening) - I've never had an oscilloscope in the rack - I could use one in vcv rack if needed though - although tbh I never have

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Hey again @JimHowell1970! Thanks again for the response, super helpful! I'll consider what you said and keep tetris-ing ;) You've been a big help!

Hey again @JimHowell1970! Thanks again for the response, super helpful! I'll consider what you said and keep tetris-ing ;) You've been a big help!
-- slysteezy

No problem - happy to be of help!