Working towards my first modular setup. Comments and critique welcome and encouraged!

I have a Moog Mavis that will start out in an 84HP by 3U by 55mm case: Cre8Audio NiftyCase, that includes power (1500mA @ +12v, 500mA @ -12v, and 500mA @ +5v), midi to CV, and mono out. The Mavis will eventually be removed to make space as modules are acquired. The Mavis will provide some traditional synth elements to the system (VCO, VCF, LFO, EG, S+H, etc.), so the main goal for the rest of the system in to compliment the Mavis.

For example, the Mavis' internal sample + hold source is the VCO, which makes for nice rhythmic patterns, but isn't as random-ish as using a noise source. Adding a module that can provide noise thus increases the possibilities of the S+H, while also providing noise for any other possible use case. The Kinks module has a dedicated noise output, normalled to it's own S+H circuit, along with a few other useful utilities, all in a nice 4HP size.

In the spirit of complimenting a traditional synth voice setup, I want non-traditional elements at the center of the system. Another major goal of this setup is to achieve lots of functionality in a small/portable setup. I'm currently leaning towards Mutable Instruments modules, but many of them are quite large for such a limited space. There are many clones that come in smaller sizes, so I have included them. Some, however, are still quite large. Ripples, for example, is basically just a filter, but takes up 8HP of width. I'd love to hear of any alternatives in a smaller format (doesn't have to be Mutable/clone, any nice filter under 8HP).

At 8HP each, Pam's and Disting EX were included to add lots of diverse functionality in a small space. Continuing the trend of more functionality in less space, Ochd fits many spread-out LFOs into 4HP. The remaining space was filled with a handful of 2HP modules. I'm still learning about all of the functionality of Pam's and Disting EX, and they might be able to cover many functions that I might be attempting to get out of other modules, so let me know if anything seems obvious.

Let me know what you think! Is this reasonable? Am I making rookie mistakes? Too many LFOs? Not enough VCAs? Too Mutable? Needs Beads? Brand X makes poor modules? Redundant modules? Obvious components missing? Money could be spent better elsewhere? Facts, anecdotes, opinions, information, etc. all welcome.

That’s a lot of small knobs in a small case..

I'm currently leaning towards Mutable Instruments modules, but many of them are quite large for such a limited space. There are many clones that come in smaller sizes, so I have included them. Some, however, are still quite large. Ripples, for example, is basically just a filter, but takes up 8HP of width. I'd love to hear of any alternatives in a smaller format (doesn't have to be Mutable/clone, any nice filter under 8HP).

the obvious and sane answer to this is... get a bigger case... 6u is easily portable, unless you are a small child - I've carried a mantis (best bang for buck case there is) on trains, planes and buses quite a bit and never had a problem with it being too big to carry - and then you can stay with full size modules and benefit from the ergonomics - remember 1hp is just over 5mm (1/5 of an inch) and 3u is less than 14cm (5.25") - often newbies do not realise how small eurorack actually is!!

At 8HP each, Pam's and Disting EX were included to add lots of diverse functionality in a small space. Continuing the trend of more functionality in less space, Ochd fits many spread-out LFOs into 4HP. The remaining space was filled with a handful of 2HP modules. I'm still learning about all of the functionality of Pam's and Disting EX, and they might be able to cover many functions that I might be attempting to get out of other modules, so let me know if anything seems obvious.

too many tiny (2hp) modules next to each other - they will be (virtually - at best) unusable

this rack will be horrible to play... see above bigger case, ergonomic modules

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hey, to cover some of your questions;

Rookie mistake is probably that row of 2HP modules. That is really tight. You wouldn’t realize it until you had them patched just how difficult it is to reach in, not only to get at and turn the knobs, but also to pull out and insert new cables into the jacks.

Poor modules is something to look into—those Sylph Mutable Clones have poor ratings: Marbles 3/5, Rings 2.5/5, Ripples 1/5, Clouds 1/5, Plaits 1/5. Troll ratings maybe? Or legit quality issues?

If your main goal is to compliment your Moog and to rinse every last bit of functionality in as small a space as possible, check out the Poly Effects Hector. If you don’t mind some menu diving, the Hector has 100s of built in modules including all of the Mutable Instruments in your case and more: Warps, Grids, Plaits, Rings, Clouds, Tides, and Marbles. Might be a module you’re interested in collecting: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/poly-effects-hector

I don’t have it. But I have Mutable Instruments modules and for the price I paid I could have bought like 3 of those Hectors. haha, maybe that was my rookie mistake. :)

personally I think the hector and empress zoia are the opposite of modular philosophy - basically just a computer in a module format - I'd rather use vcv rack & I really don't like that either - real knobs (ie full size ones as much as possible possible), real jacks, real switches, real patch cables, real modular!!!!

money is only money - a modular synth is something else entirely and much more valuable and worthwhile!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities