I've been looking for a good LPG for my system that doesn't take up too much space, and the Make Noise LxD is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but retailers are all sold out and people are listing them on Reverb for INSANE prices ($300-$500). Did Make Noise discontinue it without saying anything? Why are these so hard to find?

Also, does anyone out there have any ideas about a similar LPG around the same size and price? I'm very limited on free space in the rack and need something with the same punchiness as the LxD strike input.

Cheers!

Not as resonant like the LxD, but check out the ph Modular LPG: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ph-modular-2hp-vactrol-lpg

It was an easy direct purchase. I have both and sometimes prefer the LxD for the resonant channel, but otherwise the ph fits the bill.

the Make Noise LxD is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but retailers are all sold out and people are listing them on Reverb for INSANE prices ($300-$500). Did Make Noise discontinue it without saying anything? Why are these so hard to find?
-- noahnicholsmusic

I don't think the lxd is discontinued - I hope not as I would also like one at some point in the future!

Make Noise are at least reasonably good at marking discontinued items as discontinued on here...

Why are they hard to find:
There has been (& still is, and will be for sometime) a global shortage of electronics components (covid -> manufacturing slow down -> distribution nightmare) - I'm guessing the vactrols are difficult to source in large quantities - and if you have only a small number of vactrols and no idea when you will get more - you'd put them in a module that has higher return and as high demand (optomix) than in a module with lower returns (lxd)

It's possible that lxds will be available again in the future, then again maybe not - don't hold your breath

Remember even Make Noise is a small company (as are all eurorack modules manufacturers) and therefore only makes small batches of modules and from time to time there will be temporary shortages of particular modules, even withoout the effects of a global pandemic - (extreme) patience is a good skill to develop!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Lack of vactrols is the issue. Have seen a few go for around 220. This isn't too unreasonably all things considered.

Sinc Bucina is highly underrated.

upper channel that has 12dB slope and touch of resonance is hard to emulate. i love it for snappy and bright percussion, or some techno-ey sequencer line. but don't use it for classic west coast lpg action. also, you need an amp module (gozinta in my case) to get the best of it. once you can condition the level you are hitting the lpg with, a whole different world opens.

bottom LxD channel is darker, and gentler. kinda similar to my Optomix rev1. except vactrol in mine is little too abrupt, so for classic 292 ring i prefer the Optomix. it is perfect.

another contender i would recommend is Tokyo Gate. it sounds little less clicky and perhaps rounder than Make Noise offerings. it has limited control over resonance - tho one should be aware that introducing it moves it from LPG to Resonant VCF kind of response, i.e. it shortens the ringing.

www.babic.com

there is also the passive Takaab lpg

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

The Meng Qi passive LPG as well, can't go wrong for $50. If you can spare the space and $350, the Buchla 292t Quad Lopass Gate is coming out any day now.