I recently heard the XAOC Tallin and found the built-in overdrive very intriguing. I'm guessing that this is the product of the module actually being an amplifier and not just an attenuator like other VCAs.

It still got me thinking if you guys know of other VCAs that, instead of transparently modulating the amplitude, either react uniquely with the incoming CV/audio or modify the output interestingly?

Bonus points for modules with unique features directly linked to the VCA format. What I mean is: I'm expecting a drive + VCA module to be able to produce a similar effect to the Tallin, but I can imagine that there are some funky modules whose combinations are more dependent on the VCA circuit

Future Sound Systems Gristleizer TG4. Enjoy!

There are quite a few VCAs that can amplify but are basically clean until the amplified signal hits a ceiling of 10V or thereabouts, so I don't think the overdrive in the Tallin is a natural function of it being an amplifier, rather it's something they specifically built into the module. I see people make the claim that "most VCAs just attenuate" sometimes, but that hasn't been my experience in Eurorack. I think almost any VCA that isn't strictly linear is going to be capable of amplification, and even some of the linear ones can amplify to a degree if the control voltage is high enough.

As far as other VCAs that do some type of overdrive or distortion, my first thought is tube VCAs like the Metasonix RK2 for example. Abyss Devices Saevitus and Synthetic Sound Labs Tube VCA/Timbral Gate are a couple others that come to mind. But if you search MG for "Tube VCA" you'll find quite a few. Aside from Tube VCAs I know Expert Sleepers makes a JFET-based VCA, "Persephone" that can be used to overdrive the input signal as well.

Wow just listened to the TG4 and RK2 and they both sound incredible. Guess this is yet another rabbit hole to lose myself in.

Thank you @farkas & @adaris!

You're welcome! I should also mention that certain wavefolders can be used as both a clean VCA and a VCA with overdrive/wavefolding, at least I know this is true of the Bastl Timber. So that's something else to consider.