Stories of a novice.
3 months ago I decided to start in the world of modular, after several years with VCV.
First of all, I watched videos, read forums, etc.
At first, ignoring opinions from some forums, I decided to build myself a 3U 104HP case.
I decided on the "cheap" option for the power supply. The famous Meanwell RT-65B with 2 buses.
At the last moment, I decided to listen to what I read and built a 6U 104HP case.
What I want to tell you is what just happened to me with the power supply. Run works fine. No problems so far, but I've run out of power on the -12v rail (it only has 500mA). Well, I had to decide to put another meanwell, one for each bus. I had to disassemble all the modules, the cover of the box (luckily I made a removable cover) and redo the wiring. A great mess!!!!.
I hope this helps other newbies like me to keep in mind that:
-3U 104HP is NEVER enough, not even at first.
-Better an external source, type 4ms or Modulaire maritime for example
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-row-power-40
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modulaire-maritime-cargo
Maybe it costs a little more than what I have spent but it is worth it. (€80 option 2 x meanwell plus accessories vs €120-150 external option, with power brick), without taking into account the boring work that it has cost me.
As @JimHowell1970 rightly says, Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine. And the utility modules draw negative current, and in the end the source becomes obsolete.
Greetings to all and sorry if I have bored you.

Maybe I should add - "don't skimp on case and power - a mantis is the same price as a module!" - to my signature!!! although I think I'm at the character limit already...

Advice is a fantastic thing - you can either take it or leave it - and there's so much it's difficult to tell which is the good advice and which isn't!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Good post! For my first DIY case, I nearly maxed out the power with a Konstant Labs StrongPWR. It most likely provides more power than I can ever use in a 2x 84hp case. Why did I do it? Well, it comes in a nice package deal with two filtered bus boards that instantly got rid of the hiss plaguing my Intellijel 7U case when connected to my iPad. Second - is it really that expensive indeed. I think €250 or thereabouts was well spent on peace of mind.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

I nearly maxed out the power with a Konstant Labs StrongPWR. It most likely provides more power than I can ever use in a 2x 84hp case. Why did I do it?
-- Arrandan

I went the same route for my case, the other thing is it’s expandable - can add a larger PSU, another power board and two more bus boards to support 12u cases

Maybe I should add - "don't skimp on case and power - a mantis is the same price as a module!" - to my signature!!! although I think I'm at the character limit already...

Advice is a fantastic thing - you can either take it or leave it - and there's so much it's difficult to tell which is the good advice and which isn't!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Honestly I do think you should look to squeeze it in to your signature!

When I started researching ahead of my own leap into modular four months ago, the repeat guidance in countless threads to start with a Mantis case was clear and convincing - four months later and over half full, I think it remains the best tip I took on board. It might not be the most exciting part of the journey, but with so many other things to learn and navigate, keeping the case and power supply simple, reliable and reasonably cost effective would be my advice too.

I knew from the beginning that I wanted to build my own case.
Regarding the power supply, emphatically yes, you have to buy a reliable source with plenty of energy.

When I started researching ahead of my own leap into modular four months ago, the repeat guidance in countless threads to start with a Mantis case was clear and convincing - four months later and over half full, I think it remains the best tip I took on board. It might not be the most exciting part of the journey, but with so many other things to learn and navigate, keeping the case and power supply simple, reliable and reasonably cost effective would be my advice too.
-- alexandershawkins

My cases and power were not cheap but so far no issues. I invested in heavy duty dual power supplies for my cases. Worth the insurance against damaging expensive modules.

I went for a powered ALM 6U 52hp case which gives me 104hp all told. It works fine for what I need but I was building a specific synth I’d seen Little Ambient Machine use on YouTube. My next case will be a 6U 84hp to hold my Boog and possibly a Tiara + a few small modules.
My late brother (Karlsoft) built and ran a large synthesizers.com modular for years so I picked up a few tips from him on power etc.
I guess my main difference is that I’m very limited in terms of space and movement as I’m severely disabled and bed-bound 24/7 so everything has to be within reach.