I'm looking to replace a eventide space and a volca kick. I have a Moog mother 32, a subharmonicon, a cyclone tt303 and a Korg ER1.

I enjoy making live stuff in the techno, electro, IDM end of things (much love for mindcolourmusic, central processing unit, old rephlex, warp and the like) but have gotten into patching between the two moogs. Things like using the sequencers on the subharminicon to effect the filter cutoff and resonance of them for example, sending random CV to cutoff, sending the subH into the sound in on the mother. Also enjoying the ring mod on the Korg.

The ER1 is weak in the kick department so I got a volca kick which works really well and frees up the other 4 oscillators for percussion and other sounds. It takes up desk space though.

I put the three synths through an Eventide Space. It can get muddy but I use a send and return on my mixer to increase and decrease the reverb for each one. Again it's another box with cables in and out of the back.

Question, if I sell the eventide and the volca kick, can I get a kick module and some reverb for the three synths inside of a Doepfer A100 84 hp case. It would allow me to streamline the set up and when I have more more cash I like the idea of adding more filter, LFO or other modulation in the future.

The short answer is yes, of course you can. Whether you'll like what you end up with better than what you had is another question. There are numerous reverb and kick modules available, I personally am a big fan of the Z-DSP Valhalla room reverb, but I also use the ZVerb and FX Aid modules sometimes for reverb as well. Never used an Eventide Space though. I should mention that the FX Aid modules have some Roland bass drum simulations in them as well as many other effects. But I've never used a dedicated kick drum module, so I can't be of any help there really. If you search Modular Grid for "kick drum" you'll find quite a few though.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks for the feedback. Such a good community. Lots of people willing to look at people who know nothing and give advice which is kind.

Against all advice and wisdom I've seen on the site I'm pressing ahead. Sold my eventide space for more than I picked it up. Favourite effects were hall and spring. Online the DIY nature of the spring. Reminds me of the apex twin interviews where he mentions making his own reverbs. I want separate effects for my three synths.

I have had a look around at the modules you suggested and ignored your advice. The FX Aid is very cool and I can see the appeal. The Z DSP too. Some good vids of them. They would be a good replacent, similar to the eventide. I know of want to get away from the pre made algorithms and get simple.

I started working my way through the reverb modules on modulargrid.

I have gone for a Spring reverb as that was one effect on the space I really liked and used a lot. The Doepfer is cheap and cheerful. Only mono out though. I know the tank would be best mounted outside the case.

Gone for a 2HP verb. Simple. Does what I need. Also mono out which is a pain. Also the small size is a pain. But it's a quality sound and cheap to get going.

Gone for a monsoon as it has feedback and reverb and then a huge amount of other capabilities that I'm excited to be able to explore. It's stereo too. Cool. This will be fun for the moogs but also for modulating acid.

So, I still need a delay. Having looked so go alongside the spring or the verb. I'd like an alaogue if possible to add to the Doepfer spring and was looking at the Doepfer BBD but obviously can't fit it as well as the two required filters in this rack. It's massive. Need the delay to be stereo.

I need a mixer module. I think. At the moment the three synths each go into the three fx modules would need to go into my existing mixer. Not neat.

I know a bigger case would be good. I know guitar pedals would make more sense in a lot of ways. If anyone is arsed to answer my filter and mixer module queries, awesome thanks.

.. and I've given up on the kick idea for the moment in this rack. Ideally want one that works has compression like the Kickain Knobular but that is £££ and probably need thr how for utilities.

So what case/power are you planning on using now? That's going to inform the answers to your other questions. Your rack looks about 50 HP wide, even if you're able to stuff the reverb tank that comes with the A-199 in there, you may find you have problems with noise/hum. I used to have a Metasonix Spring Reverb inside of a Doepfer LC3 84 HP case with a medium tank inside the case, but it was a very tight fit, and I made sure to use quality shielded RCA cables, not sure what comes with the A-199.

Legend. Thanks for persevering.

Using the smallest A-100 at 48HP. Teeny mate, teeny.

Comes with standard shitty rcas. Shielded canela would be a good call. As it is you can filter out the hiss with a filter have the tank out of the box but it isn't ideal.

Yeah I have a Befaco Spring Reverb which I like, it's hooked up to a large tank which I have mounted underneath the table where a lot of my eurorack gear sits. But like the A-199 the RCA connectors are only in back, so I had to leave 2 HP open to run the cables in/out. So keep that in mind. But anyway, I would consider getting the Befaco instead of the A-199, it gives you CV control over both inputs as well as the mix in the same amount of space, and also uses less current from the +12V rail, which in your case is probably a good thing. And I can tell you from experience that the sliders on the Befaco are very "playable". I've had a few spring reverbs and it is the only one I've kept.

I had to leave 2 HP open to run the cables in/out.
-- adaris

that's what drills are for...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

As far as filters go, I assume you want some that don't take up a lot of space or use a lot of current. Some that I have and like that meet those requirements would be:

1) Bastl Cinnamon
2) Karltron Steiner Parker
3) Mutable Ripples V2
4) TipTop Forbidden Planet
5) Nano Font
6) Doepfer Wasp

Yeah I have a Befaco Spring Reverb which I like, it's hooked up to a large tank which I have mounted underneath the table where a lot of my eurorack gear sits. But like the A-199 the RCA connectors are only in back, so I had to leave 2 HP open to run the cables in/out. So keep that in mind. But anyway, I would consider getting the Befaco instead of the A-199, it gives you CV control over both inputs as well as the mix in the same amount of space, and also uses less current from the +12V rail, which in your case is probably a good thing. And I can tell you from experience that the sliders on the Befaco are very "playable". I've had a few spring reverbs and it is the only one I've kept.
-- adaris

Cool, looks good. I'll save for one. The Doepfer is a little noisy so I'm running it through a low pass filter on my studio mixer for now. Not ideal but getting some nice sounds out of the subharmonicon

I had to leave 2 HP open to run the cables in/out.
-- adaris

that's what drills are for...

-- JimHowell1970

So put the tank outside the case and drill a hole into the back of the case, right?

As far as filters go, I assume you want some that don't take up a lot of space or use a lot of current. Some that I have and like that meet those requirements would be:

1) Bastl Cinnamon
2) Karltron Steiner Parker
3) Mutable Ripples V2
4) TipTop Forbidden Planet
5) Nano Font
6) Doepfer Wasp
-- adaris

Thanks, I'll take a look. I was going to go with a simple Pittsburgh Modular mixer. I'll have a look through you suggestions.

If you're close enough to Bristol, it's well worth taking a trip to Elevator Sounds and having play with the filters in their rack

That's a good shout. I'm not, I'm in Leeds.

I remember heading to buy my first amp and speakers when I was young. My dad took me to John Lewis where they had a room and you could listen to the different speakers playing tha same music.

I guess something similar would be amazing as it's just so personal. I'm listening to the filters on YouTube but when you have different oscillators going in it's not a direct comparison.

there's usually a big synth meet annually in Yorkshire ... so maybe wait for that... there'll be loads of filters to play with there

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Cheers. Hopefully Leeds. I know there has been in the past.

Looks like it’s on 19/20 Aug 2023 - https://divkidvideo.com/modular-meets-leeds-2022/

The belgrave does good pizza too...

I saw something on Instagram earlier this week about the potential for some casual meet ups in Leeds for electronic music makers, but I think it was speculative at the moment

Looks like it’s on 19/20 Aug 2023 - https://divkidvideo.com/modular-meets-leeds-2022/
-- andydavies

in that case there's always a possibility that I might make it for one or both days...

it's not that far, but it's no that close either - I'm the other side of Manchester and a bit south

-- andydavies

in that case there's always a possibility that I might make it for one or both days...

it's not that far, but it's no that close either - I'm the other side of Manchester and a bit south

-- JimHowell1970

Maybe we need to arrange something in Manchester, I'm south Manchester too :)