This is where I currently am after 18 months into my modular journey.

ModularGrid Rack

Case is a custom 6u 104hp build with Konstant Lab's BoardPWR for power. At some point in the next year I'm going to go up to a 9u case but that's about as large as I can go for the moment (limited space in the house)

As far as other modules I've got a Noise Reap Paradox, Make Noise STO, A-151 and A-183n that I swap in and out. Also got a Zlob Triple Cap Chaos, Triple Diode Chaos, CuteLabs Missed Opportunities and AI Systhesis matrix mixer to build.

I can also see me buying some more utilities like a Compare 2, Branches, logic and attenuators etc. and perhaps some filters e.g. want to play with a QPAS, probably want to play with a complex oscillator at somepoint but not sure I'm ready for them ATM.

Generally I try to avoid anything 4u and below that has a knob on it but there are exceptions, and as work in tech I'm more interested in modules with tactile controls rather than ones with digital interfaces.

Music wise I tend to listen to mostly electronica and ambient - Carbon Lifeforms, Marconi Union, Jon Hopkins, Urlich Schauss, even occasionally Steve Reich etc.

And the music (noises?) I'm mostly making tends to follow evoling ambient with occasional percussive elements but I'm really still experimenting, exploring and having fun!

I'm still new to this and open to thoughts, comments and other feedback on what I've got so far and where I'm thinking of going.

Quantizing is the area I'm least sure about and I think I'm actually pretty OK on the others below but writing my thoughts out helps me so feel free to prod at them

Quantizing

This is probably what I need to tackle first as I'm current using the Disting for this and I really dislike it (don't like the UI). Know I could also use Pam's for this but want something that doesn't involve menu diving and has immediacy so unless someone produces an expander with buttons think this rules out O&C too.

I've read multiple manuals and watched a fair few videos and I think what I really want right now is the simplicity of a couple of uScale IIs but as they're discontinued I'm looking at other modules - Intellijel Scales, Shakmat Bard Quartet or ADDAC207. Are there any others I should look at? Must have buttons to chose the notes though

Mixing

The ergonomics of the Doepfer and ST Mix don't work for me as the ST Mix is too cramped.

Currently thinking of getting the SSF Vortices as it's got enough channels, and has voltage control for fading, panning etc. I can use the existing mixers as submixers if I need them, would use right angled cables for the lower sockets to keep the cables out of the way.

FX

I think I'm going to replace the Pico DSP with an FX Aid (XL probably) but not sure what to do with the Echoz... I guess it's OK but wondering about replacing it with a DaisySeed based module perhaps patch.init so I can experiment with programming it

Sequencing

I'm having fun with the Turing Machine & SQ-1 but want a bit more CV control so thinking along the lines of TipTop Z8000 and perhaps Transient Modules S8 coupled with something like a Grids clone, Steppy etc to clock / reset / hold them (can also PNW for euclidean etc, clock dividers, logic too)

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading this far…

Hi,
First of all, let me tell you that I've only been using modular hardware for 3 months, and I've started with a tight budget, so I've looked a lot at the price-performance ratio.
Quantizing
You could take a look at the Instruo Harmonaig https://www.modulargrid.net/e/instruo-harmonaig
It is a bit more expensive than the intellijel scales and bigger, but they have a lot more functions, for example chord progressions.
I've only used the virtual version in VCV rack, and it's amazing and very powerful.
Mixing
I always recommend the same, I have it and I am very happy.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-master-section
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-4-mono-channels
There are 4 mono channels with CV, send and return, mutes and pan. They are also chainable, so you can grow using the same output. 4 channels plus master are 18HP, but the ergonomics are quite good, at least for me. The price-quality ratio is great.
There is also the Befaco option https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-hexmix but it is much more expensive and bigger, 6 channels 28 HP.
FX
I would stick with the Pico DSP, it is very versatile, takes up little space and you can always even use the granular algorithm, or the exclusive reverb or delay for some percussion.
A good option to consider is also https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-black-hole-dsp.
What I do miss in your case is an MI rings or clone
Best regards,
I would stick with the Pico DSP, it is very versatile, takes up little space and you can always even use the granular algorithm, or the exclusive reverb or delay for some percussion.
A good option to consider is also https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-black-hole-dsp.

take a look at the kassutronics quantizer.. nice lay-out of functions - awful wooden panel, but that's a taste thing - and double channel

Mixing
I always recommend the same, I have it and I am very happy.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-master-section
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-4-mono-channels
There are 4 mono channels with CV, send and return, mutes and pan. They are also chainable, so you can grow using the same output. 4 channels plus master are 18HP, but the ergonomics are quite good, at least for me. The price-quality ratio is great.
-- ferranadsr

Thanks… the Tex Mix definitely isn't for me. I had one about a year ago, it was just too cramped and eventually got returned as it had a scratchy pot

I'll have a think about the other ideas, the only way the Pico DSP stays is if it can live of the right hand side of the case - it's just too small an fiddly otherwise

take a look at the kassutronics quantizer.. nice lay-out of functions - awful wooden panel, but that's a taste thing - and double channel
-- T0MMI001

Thanks, I'd missed this had CV control first time I looked

Not sure about the buttons being in a circle and panels can always be replaced!

Quantizing:
I had been looking at the bard quartet for ages, and the new expander for it definitely would have appealed if I hadnt bought the arpitecht and the tenderfoot quad quantizer just as it came out. I have actually found the arpitecht is doing a ton of work for me lately and is incredibly flexible, and with quantised outputs from the metron/voltare I've barely touched the quad quantizer.

Mixing:
I'm still trying to figure this out, I've been relying on the Jumble Henge to mix down into stereo, but its not going to cut it for me much longer, and I've been trying to wrap my brains around what would, all I've narrowed it down to is having fader controls and being able to handle stereo.

FX:
The FX aid is great, I also use beads for granular/delay/reverb, and I have a Arbhar & lubadh for additional reverb and delay if not otherwise being used for their main purpose. This is an area I constantly find tempting, but I try to limit myself on so that I can make space for more utilities.

Sequencing:
I went a bit nuts in this space, picking up a used Metron completely changed my approach to it, alongside the Arpitecht which can provide grids like controls. The S8 is very straightforward, but definitely needs a quantiser as each pot has a large range. The varigate 4+ is a solid alternative, each slider has a large range too, but there is a combo to narrow down the adjustment to make it more usable.

This is where I've settled for now

ModularGrid Rack

On the mixing from I went for the SSF Vortices and really liking it

FX Aid XL has replaced the Pico DSP

And I'm trying a uScale as a quantizer

I seem to have run out of space for now but still have a matrix mixer partly built so guess I'm going to need to expand the case soon