Hi there,

I am new to modular synthesis and somehow got sucked in with the NiftyCase earlier this year. I just ordered a second case and assuming that all the modules I ordered arrive my rig will look like this:

ModularGrid Rack

Any suggestions for things missing? I'm a bit low on HP but I could always take the Mavis out of the rack.

I still am unsure of the direction that I want to take my rack. I have just been adding modules as I could afford them. I have an Arturia microbrute that I have been using to control the VCOs and I have been connecting my Akai Rhythm Wolf to the MIDI that clocks the case.

I saw a video of someone that had the case USB connected to a computer and was running some software to control the VCOs. Does anyone know if Garageband can do that? Or is there another free program? I'm not sure I would always want to do that but I would like to give it a try.

Anyways, any suggestions are very much welcome.

please copy and paste the url of your public rack into your post...

jpgs are crap for this purpose (ie requesting help/advice/sympathy/whatever) as they do not allow for 'mouse-over' or 'click-through' - which are really helpful in helping us help you!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I still am unsure of the direction that I want to take my rack.

Not necessarily the best strategy... but it is quite common

I have just been adding modules as I could afford them.

that's generally what most people do, at least to

I saw a video of someone that had the case USB connected to a computer and was running some software to control the VCOs. Does anyone know if Garageband can do that? Or is there another free program? I'm not sure I would always want to do that but I would like to give it a try.

what does reading the helpfile/manual for Garageband tell you about setting up a midi track and sending the output to a midi device?

there are quite a few free DAWs available... google is good for finding out what they are

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thanks! I couldn't figure out how people were adding their rack so perfectly in the post!

I feel like I have a bit of a direction and then I get a new piece and it reminds me that I need these other pieces to really make it do something cool. Just when I feel like I'm doing something neat I watch someone else on Youtube and then I want to be able to do that too. I'm addicted.

Thanks! I couldn't figure out how people were adding their rack so perfectly in the post!

no problem...

I feel like I have a bit of a direction and then I get a new piece and it reminds me that I need these other pieces to really make it do something cool. Just when I feel like I'm doing something neat I watch someone else on Youtube and then I want to be able to do that too. I'm addicted.

yeah it's often that way... I want this module as it has this cool feature that I think would really lift my modular to the next level... ah now I need these 3-4 support modules to make it actually do what I want it to do... ah! now I need another case... sometimes stopping watching youtube is a good idea... also stepping back when you see something cool and trying to work out if you can do it already with the modules you have is a good idea... often just adding one or two utility modules will get you a long way for less money

... also stepping back when you see something cool and trying to work out if you can do it already with the modules you have is a good idea... often just adding one or two utility modules will get you a long way for less money

-- JimHowell1970

That is a great point too. I've got 12 HP left on my second case but I feel that I have a few modules I have already grown out of. I haven't yet received my second case, so maybe not...I'm excited to see what I can do with all this stuff.