I'd like to have the tools that suit my taste for creating drum lines and patterns to craft songs live whether that takes a little setting up or doing it on the fly.

I was wondering how others go about creating their drums for a song, dawless, complete with multiple lines, break beats, etc.

I'm really novice. I know there's some interesting modules out there like the Make Noise Rene Cartesian sequencer, but I haven't come to terms yet with how much versatility I'd get from a module like that, not to mention the case real estate(in fact, my first case is already planned out and full) and perhaps the only "quick and easy" switching of patterns would be the stochastic inspiration generator.

In any case, I'm curious and thought it could be a real learning moment to find out what and how others are crafting their drums.

Varigate 8+ is worth looking at to create intricate patterns that can be saved, recalled or generated on the fly

Basek is a wizard with it

That is a great video! That kinda sells me on the varigate 8+ and the voltage block. I’ve been on the fence about a brain of sorts for my system. Thanks!!

I’m a fan of the Basil knit rider as a trigger seq. I didn’t really like the 8+. I think I’m just more comfortable looking at a grid layout than the sliders.

I've been looking at the Robaux sequencers for this purpose recently...
Planning on using probably the LL82 for only drums...

I've literally just bought a Beatstep Pro for this after realising i want more control than the Robaux LL8, just gotta learn the Beatstep Pro now! Its way, way cheaper to buy an external sequencer and the triggers give a good Thwack on drum modules, the LL8 does not and your kicks may sound a bit whimpy unless you boost the triggers through a VCA.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I've literally just bought a Beatstep Pro for this after realising i want more control than the Robaux LL8, just gotta learn the Beatstep Pro now! Its way, way cheaper to buy an external sequencer and the triggers give a good Thwack on drum modules, the LL8 does not and your kicks may sound a bit whimpy unless you boost the triggers through a VCA.

Ah ok, thanks for that... I have a Beatstep Pro that I currently use for drums and it is great but was going to switch to have something in the rack & close to the drum modules and I was thinking the grid format easier to programme on the fly...but... if that's the case I may re-consider...

I'm still a bit new to this...are the Beatstep triggers, longer, higher V or something that makes the difference?
Is it mostly noticeable for the Kick.... Last thing I want is to end up with a whimpy kick!

I'm still a bit new to this...are the Beatstep triggers, longer, higher V or something that makes the difference?
Is it mostly noticeable for the Kick.... Last thing I want is to end up with a whimpy kick!
-- Traxam

I'm no expert, but Yes, something like that.

Yep just the kick for my gear, I've not noticed it on the ADDAC103 or Patching Panda Hatz.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Cool ,thanks wishbone....
I need to think a bit more, but I may just add VCA into my plan....

Was looking at a couple of your Jamuary videos (looks good btw) and it seems you have what I plan with the dedicated 3U drum rack... also I see you interacting with the Robaux in a way that I think I'm looking for...and in the patch 1 video the kick sound pretty thumping to me so maybe I just need to cover myself by including VCA...

@Stratx...Apologies for highjacking your thread!

@Stratx

For drums and percussions, the possibilities are endless because they depend closely on the musical genres. As the principle of these instruments is basically quite 'physical', it can indeed be a good idea to go for external controllers (as the Beatstep Pro), and even to complete with traditional drum machines. I personnaly use both.

Of course I have reserved some elements inside the modular itself, in relation with the its specific qualities and in order to create more complex drum parts...

So, on the trigger side, I currently use: Marbles, SIG, Varigate (which can be based on chance, a number of steps you determine, and all on several different channels), LB5 (logic module), A-151 (sequential switch), A-160-2; plus Nin (Zadar expander with manual trigs), Ears; and DFAM which has an extreme playability.

But there are also many others possibilities that are popular around pure euclidean sequencers.
As always, a question of taste, priorities and investment :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

@traxam
Yeah, don't get me wrong the LL8v1 is a great and very affordable trigger sequencer, its very playable, easy to edit. I was looking hard at other modules before I decided to get a Beatstep Pro, the new version of the LL8 looks great.

Cheers for having a listen ;-)