So this is what I have. I’ve been enjoying everything so far but would like to get into more ambient music with polyphony/chord patches. Open to swapping any of these modules out for ones that make more sense.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2155588.jpg?1676524364

Hi,

First of all, a link to your patch is much better than a jpeg.
ModularGrid Rack

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-black-wavetable-vco

Modules for ambient are usually large modules, so you need a lot more space to begin with.
For example, https://www.modulargrid.net/e/make-noise-mimeophon already consumes 16HP
You should think of another voice for those strings. A clone of MI plaits is very versatile.
I don't know what use you give to the two Distinguishings, I imagine effects. For the type of music you want, a resonator like MI Rings and the Mimeophon that I mentioned before would suit you well. You will need effects with a lot more control than disnting gives you. And to shoot everything some trigger/cv generator like MI Marbles (or clones)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-dice.
A noise source and some utilities like a sequential switch, mixer/attenuator/attenuverter.

get a bigger case,and a fx aid pro would be a good choice for reverbs and stuff

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I'm a newb so not much advice/perspective I can add other than to say, I had Plaits suggested to me for my setup, which also contains Maths/Dixie/Quad VCA, and I've been loving it.

e.g., Dixie pulses enveloped via Maths and used to trigger the percussive modes of Plaits gets some interesting ambience, if you play around enough.

With the firmware update, Plaits has an LFO mode, which paired with Dixie gives you good flexibility if you want one to act as the clock for the other.

Someone also suggested (to me) a chaos generator like Wogglebug to add an element of unpredictability, if you have room for it. Not essential but something fun to keep in mind. Ambient, in my experience, thrives on chaos.

FX Aid pro kept coming up in my search for FX, so sounds like you can't go wrong with that recommendation.

Good luck, have fun, and seriously consider wise people's advice when they say, "You may need a bigger case."

I started out with a 64 HP "budget setup" that quickly ballooned to 128 HP despite everything I could do, lulz.

While I'm very happy with a smaller setup, too small a setup might not achieve all the things you want, particularly polyphony.

Here's a link to a good thread from the forum on why polyphony isn't easily achievable....item #4 in particular.

Best wishes, good luck, and enjoy the ride! :)

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Small option for chords: MTM organ..

a chaos generator like Wogglebug

no - wogglebug is random not chaotic - so not a chaos generator

there's a difference... both produce "unpredictable" results but in different ways

random is as random as possible - usually pseudo-random, as the generator needs to be seeded, if using a processor to generate your random - you may be able to modulate the upper and lower bounds or the seed, but it's still random

a die roll is random - it will generate a number between 1 & 6 with an equal probability - let's call it r

whereas chaos will have some sort of rule - or an attractor - essentially a function - to influence the outcome - f(r)

possible very simplistic rule (attracts to 3.5ish) if more than 4 subtract 2 if less than 3 add 2 (3,4,3,4,3,4)
or if a product of 2 divide by 2 - so you get (1,1, 2, 3, 3 , 5 )

roll the die and apply rule

often the previous chaotically generated number will be used in the function to generate the current chaotic value - in order to give a more similar result - or maybe an lfo will be used to influence the outcome - possibly with speed and offset as modulateable parameters or possibly both strategies will be employed simultaneously

obviously these are incredibly basic examples - iirc there's links to much more in depth discussions of chaos on the nonlinearcircuits website (iirc Andrew the owner has a phD in designing chaotic circuits)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

a chaos generator like Wogglebug

no - wogglebug is random not chaotic - so not a chaos generator

there's a difference... both produce "unpredictable" results but in different ways

random is as random as possible - usually pseudo-random, as the generator needs to be seeded, if using a processor to generate your random - you may be able to modulate the upper and lower bounds or the seed, but it's still random

a die roll is random - it will generate a number between 1 & 6 with an equal probability - let's call it r

whereas chaos will have some sort of rule - or an attractor - essentially a function - to influence the outcome - f(r)

possible very simplistic rule (attracts to 3.5ish) if more than 4 subtract 2 if less than 3 add 2 (3,4,3,4,3,4)
or if a product of 2 divide by 2 - so you get (1,1, 2, 3, 3 , 5 )

roll the die and apply rule

often the previous chaotically generated number will be used in the function to generate the current chaotic value - in order to give a more similar result - or maybe an lfo will be used to influence the outcome - possibly with speed and offset as modulateable parameters or possibly both strategies will be employed simultaneously

obviously these are incredibly basic examples - iirc there's links to much more in depth discussions of chaos on the nonlinearcircuits website (iirc Andrew the owner has a phD in designing chaotic circuits)
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for the clarification!

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks! Didn’t expect so many useful responses. Sometimes it’s nice to get some outside perspective on things.

I’ll link my patch next time instead of a jpeg.

That FX Aid Pro looks very useful.. definitely adding that to the list of future additions.

I like the idea of MTM organ but can’t find any available.

Definitely going to need a bigger case lol.

I think the next thing I’ll add is a plaits or rings clone because they seem useful and I love the sound of rings.

Should I maybe swap the maths out for marbles or something similar??

-- Jerkson

These are two VERY different modules. What exactly do you need and want the module in this space to do? Why Maths? Why Marbles?

I like the idea of MTM organ but can’t find any available.

Music Thing Modular Chord Organ - DIY module started as an alternate firmware for the Radio Music - you can usually get the kits and pcb/panel sets from Thonk (UK) or Exploding Shed (DE) - but they both appear to be sold out at the moment

Definitely going to need a bigger case lol.

we did tell ya!!!

I think the next thing I’ll add is a plaits or rings clone because they seem useful and I love the sound of rings.

then get rings - I'd go for a full size clone (ALA Resonate) - unless you want it to be near impossible to tune

no - completely different modules - you need both! (maybe)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities