Hey ! I’m waiting my command ! So I have a ghost , a sofia and an ADSR. If you have a piece of advice about appoint Out , or rythm and frequencie quantizer for techno progressive , I m really interested

ClemBmusic

a quantizer is a quantizer - intended genre is irrelevant - just like most modules - genre is what you make of it...

how many channels do you want?

an output module may or may not be needed - what are you intending to use for monitoring? an outboard mixer, headphones, powered monitors?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I could to take between 4 and 8 Chanel to be large , ideally I want to sync my desktop studio with the modular patch

ClemBmusic

there are quite a few quantizers that have 4 channels - Bard Quartet, ADDAC, O&C but not many that will handle 8 - sinfonion, perhaps, but that'll only actually quantize 3-4 channels and generate v/oct for the others...

to be clear this is for pitch (v/oct) quantization only...

time quantization is not really done in modular - usually we use clock dividers and multipliers fed by a steady clock to trigger events at precise points - dividing a fast clock will always be more stable than multiplying, as a divider just counts the clock, whilst a multiplier has to measure the time between 2 clock ticks and then divide that time by the multiplication factor (and if the clock is not so stable it will be off at some point

it's more common that people want to add swing or go slightly off clock to humanise the rhythm - using a vc trigger/gate delay, perhaps

I think it might be a good idea if you created a rack on here and shared it (and also the other studio parts you want to interface with)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

With pleasure i built my rack but I cant share it , just a jpg . Is sharing possible to suscribe Unicorn ? It could to be That ? https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2193237.jpg

ClemBmusic

make the rack public in edit rack and then copy the url and paste it into the post....

ModularGrid Rack It should be start

ClemBmusic

ok so maybe you could add some of the things that you think you want and then we can critique that and add the things you actually need

here's a few hints - you may want and you will need some of the types of modules mentioned:

to connect to your other studio bits and pieces - a midi to cv module (and possibly a cv to midi module) or something like a expert sleepers es8 or 9 - neither of which will require quantization as the output will already be quantized - possibly to talk to a computer/DAW

possibly a sequencer - which may or may not include a quantizer - you may want more than one of these - possibly a trigger sequencer and a melodic sequencer for sequencing pitch (v/oct) and possibly gates

a quad cascading vca - I lik veils - clones are available - as it has enough gain to be also used as an input module if needed (most vcas do not have this)

an lfo - probably multichannel

a function generator - I like maths, as it has the best documentation, particularly the 'maths illustrated supplement'

a mixer (for combining the outputs of the oscillator)

a mixer for combining modulation sources (I like matrix mixers)

an end of chain mixer - to combine different sounds and output to ? headphones/mixer/monitors?

possibly an input module - so that you can amplify external gear to modular levels

some utility modules to help you copy signals (muult) and modify them

On this page you will find information that will surely help you: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10775

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

On this page you will find information that will surely help you: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10775
-- Sweelinck

Thx !!

es8 or 9 - neither of which will require quantization as the output will already be quantized - possibly to talk to a computer/DAW

I have Several deeadbox (nyx HADES erebus v2)

possibly a sequencer - which may or may not include a quantizer - you may want more than one of these - possibly a trigger sequencer and a melodic sequencer for sequencing pitch (v/oct) and possibly gates

Excellent idea , is a drum séquencer like Drumbrute impact could to pilot ? Or minilog matrix were percer too

a quad cascading vca - I lik veils - clones are available - as it has enough gain to be also used as an input module if needed (most vcas do not have this)

Added on my rack

a multipl chan LFO black noise added but LOWER game ,

a function generator - ?'

an end of chain mixer - to combine different sounds and output to ? headphones/mixer/monitors?

possibly an input module - so that you can amplify external gear to modular levels

-- JimHowell1970

ModularGrid Rack

ClemBmusic

-- Sweelinck

Thx !!

es8 or 9 - neither of which will require quantization as the output will already be quantized - possibly to talk to a computer/DAW

I have Several deeadbox (nyx HADES erebus v2)

Excellent idea , is a drum séquencer like Drumbrute impact could to pilot ? Or minilog matrix were percer too

Added on my rack

a multipl chan LFO black noise added but LOWER game ,

a function generator - ?'

-- JimHowell1970

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2193237.jpg?1678630225

ClemBmusic

and now the actual link!

ModularGrid Rack

ah good the thumbnail doesn't match - but not a problem...

the midi-cv module appears to be discontinued... may be impossible to source...

the sequencer is I believe very difficult to get hold of and probably not the easiest to get to grips with...

mixer ok...

no vcas... not enough channels of lfo/function generator!!! you will need these!!!!

Okay , I havé something now, Sounds better like that ?

ModularGrid Rack or ModularGrid Rack (Wait for update .m’a)

ClemBmusic

Maybe some reasoning for your selections would be in order...

why the battleship sequencer without enough voices for it to drive?

why the knobula? do you know how you could use it?

why no submixers?

and most importantly why no VCAS????????

Maybe this can help... Or... Maybe not...
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=230155

Maybe this can help... Or... Maybe not...
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=230155
-- Dub007

that's quite a good idea!

Trank you for the Link this bible explains what thé LFO/VCA with multiples is very important .

So Math seems to be the référence : is there a same quality alternative ? And iahve you a Good réf• Midi to cv ?

Cheers

ClemBmusic

midi to cv you might want to look at the cv.ocd or if you want it in the rack erica synths are now making the mutant brain

Maths - best Maths substitute is Maths - simply because of the numerous videos on youtube and the fucking fantastic "maths illustrated supplement" - why is it so fantastic - because aside from giving you 32 patch examples for Maths - if you think hard about what, why and how maths and the patching is working it will serve as a jumping off point for all your future patching - what if I do this, how do I do this, why an I doing this?????

there are many other similar modules - designs based on the serge dual universal signal generator - but Maths is by far the most popular and in many ways the best - not least the ergonomics are good and the configuration - 2 function generators, 2 attenuverters with offsets, a bit of mixing (including a negative output) and a bit of logic are enough to kick start an entry level modular...

& don't let the name 'maths' put you off - you are after all designing/building yourself a customised, analog computer that specializes in generating sound - ie a modular synthesizer

Okay …. So next command Will be Math••• to the VCA/LFO for Numbers or examples and tutorials.

Mixer - Cosmix

ADSR - not decided (vca with multipl ?) lost ans no decided

Cv/midi : lost and not decided

Séquencer ‘ perhaps à Berhinger ? Or to wait and be patient for next month ;)

ClemBmusic

If it was me:

Okay …. So next command Will be Math••• to the VCA/LFO for Numbers or examples and tutorials.

Maths yes

Mixer - Cosmix

I'd hold off on this for now - but do get a quad cascading vca - a veils clone if possible (Big T music) - it will act like a mono mixer for now and a midi interface or a sequencer is a better buy for now

ADSR - not decided (vca with multipl ?) lost ans no decided

Maths will provide envelopes!!! - not adsr - but adsrs are less common in modular than you'd think - often AD is fine and Maths will give you 2

Cv/midi : lost and not decided

either one of these - ie erica mutant brain (nb used to be hexinverter electronique) OR

Séquencer ‘ perhaps à Berhinger ? Or to wait and be patient for next month ;)

-- clem75Paris

a sequencer - would wait and buy one you actually want rather than a 'cheap' one just to have one - this applies to all modules