Hi,

I´m thinking about racking my DFAM and Quadrantid Swarm but I know nothing about Eurorack. Please help me with this questions:

• I think I´d need a power module and an output module, will these work?
  • Do I have to take anything in mind?
  • Which other modules would be a good complement for this setup?
  • How can I find an angled case for this? I can´t find any...

Thanks!

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2210452.jpg

and now with the actual link!!!

ModularGrid Rack

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks!

Hi,

I´m thinking about racking my DFAM and Quadrantid Swarm but I know nothing about Eurorack.

Why? It's usually considered to be a waste of money re-housing semi-modulars in eurorack cases - you are paying twice for both case and power!!! which is something you already paid for when you bought them

you will need a power supply - this one is designed to connect to a busboard so you would need one of those as well - see the description of the module - there are others designed to use flying busboards (ribbon cables with headers on them) but these can potentially introduce noise - but rack warts (power modules) take space in your case which is better used for actual modules - so cases with power inlets mounted elsewhere are preferable

do you need an output module? maybe - what are you considering sending the output to?

you will want more modules sooner or later - at the very least an appropriate end of chain mixer, some extra modulation, effects and utilities will probably be handy too

see above

the tiptop mantis is a very popular case that is angled and is one of the better cases in terms of size/cost/power & manufacturer reputation - and is often recommended to beginners as it's not that big but will allow room for expansion and is quite portable

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Why? It's usually considered to be a waste of money re-housing semi-modulars in eurorack cases - you are paying twice for both case and power!!! which is something you already paid for when you bought them

That´s true, I never wanted to be into modular, but when the QS arrived I saw that it lacks a power switch and that made me start to think about having both in a case, maybe it´s not the best idea as you say.

you will need a power supply - this one is designed to connect to a busboard so you would need one of those as well - see the description of the module - there are others designed to use flying busboards (ribbon cables with headers on them) but these can potentially introduce noise - but rack warts (power modules) take space in your case which is better used for actual modules - so cases with power inlets mounted elsewhere are preferable

do you need an output module? maybe - what are you considering sending the output to?

I barely understand the module descriptions, that´s another reason why maybe I shouldn´t do it. I thought an output could be nice to have a quick control over their output levels.

That´s true, I never wanted to be into modular, but when the QS arrived I saw that it lacks a power switch and that made me start to think about having both in a case, maybe it´s not the best idea as you say.

maybe a switched power strip is a simpler and cheaper solution for that issue...

I barely understand the module descriptions, that´s another reason why maybe I shouldn´t do it. I thought an output could be nice to have a quick control over their output levels.

In that case you need to do a lot more research before spending money... go to modwiggler.com and read the stickies in the 3u and 1u subforum - watch some videos, read some newbie threads, read up on module descriptions & ask more questions

Why? It's usually considered to be a waste of money re-housing semi-modulars in eurorack cases >

I've patched my Moog semi-modulars a lot more, using different applications and mostly better when they're inside my eurorack case. Yes you need to rack 'em, need the space and power... but it makes it a lot easier to integrate them in your setup. When you're ready to go fully modular, you can always put them back in the original case.

My music on Bandcamp - Instagram - YouTube

For now I´m not sure about it, I´d need a small case (2 x 60hp) and the Mantis is too much big for me.

If you light your cigar with a banknote, then I would not advise you to :

• Listen to a lot of music produced with modulars.
  • Identify the modules used in the styles of music you prefer.
  • Determine a reasonable budget to start with.
  • Choose a case that is large enough (Mantis, RackBrute 6U, Intellijel 7U, whatever).
  • Make a first selection including some core modules (VCA, VCF, modulation sources, utilities, etc.)
  • Set up your project in ModularGrid and submit it to get tips.
  • And maybe leave your semi-modulars in their own cases...

From experience, you could end up running out of time, or space, or budget. Or all three. Unless you light your cigar with a banknote.

PS: I love your avatar ;)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Thanks XD

I don´t have a lot of money, that´s one reason against starting with modular.

For now I´m not sure about it, I´d need a small case (2 x 60hp) and the Mantis is too much big for me.
-- GrumoSound

but you will next week or next month... a smaller case will be more expensive per hp than a mantis - and an extra 88hp will give you space to expand - I know this from my own experience and from other people who have not taken my advice coming back to me and saying they wish they had taken my advice - usually within a small space of time... this is because they've filled the small case with the modules that they wanted only to discover that there were more modules that they needed in order to get the module that they wanted to work better together!

saying that - advice is given and doesn't have to be taken - so you do what you want...

just try to remember planning slightly ahead can save you money in the long run - modular synthesis is not an inexpensive endeavour and any savings are good... as you'll be able to spend the savings on more modules!

Thanks XD

I don´t have a lot of money, that´s one reason against starting with modular.
-- GrumoSound

remember you don't have to buy all the modules in one go - you can always add another module as and when you can afford it etc

Thanks Jim, my space problem is also physical, I don´t have room in my desk lol. I have to think very calmly about opening the Eurorack door, it gives me some vertigo.

I´m curious, is there a proper place to trade or swap modules?

Thanks Jim, my space problem is also physical, I don´t have room in my desk lol. I have to think very calmly about opening the Eurorack door, it gives me some vertigo.

remember 1hp = 5.08mm (1/5") so an extra 44hp < 22.5 cm (9") - a little bit of rearrangement (& possibly some creative thinking) is often all that takes to find!

as for 'vertigo' set a starting budget and a continuing budget - ie a % of disposable income, or a set amount each month or whatever - and stick to it it

also charge modules rental for their rack space: let's say your rack works out at 2(USD/EUR/GBP) per hp then for each module you buy you put that * the number of hp the module takes up into a savings account/piggybank/whatever - when your rack is full then you have the funds to pay for the same rack again (not allowing for inflation etc) which makes life easier if money is tight...

I´m curious, is there a proper place to trade or swap modules?
-- GrumoSound

usually this is done by buying and selling used modules - as given the differing prices of modules it can be difficult to work out swaps on...

most 'easily available' modules "should" be priced at between 70 & 80% of the retail price - modules that are not easily available can go for extreme markups - often described as price gouging, but really just 'good' old supply and demand, or seeing if someone is stupid/rich enough to pay that - see mutable instruments/cwejman modules etc etc

buying used can be a way of saving money - ie you should be able to sell most modules in the future for a similar price to what you paid for it, if you need to - so cost really becomes postage... remember there is intrinsic value in your modules - it's not like spending the money on beer, for example, you still have the module and that module has value - but also remember that maybe not 100% of transactions will work out 100% in your favour - which is where paying using PayPal and paying the transaction fees (not friends and family) works in your favour!

as for where - there is the marketplace here, the buy/sell subforum on modwiggler, the monthly trades thread on the modular subreddit, reverb and also ebay/craigslist...

personally I think here and modwiggler are best - reverb and ebay charge fees, the others don't - modwiggler has a 100 post requirement for posting for sale items (to deter scammers) and there's a good trades thread here...

If you really only want to to tip your toe into the modular waters, there is the Tiptop Audio Happy Ending Kit. 84hp, you can mount it into a rack, a uZeus power-module with 1000mA is included. The company-thou-shalt-not-name with the big B offers a similar solution for a few € less.

Or, and for me that's the way to go, build your own case. There's dozens of videos on YouTube with quite detailed instructions, and if you're not completely useless with a jigsaw, it's a cost-effective and fun alternative to prebuilt solutions.

I started just under a year ago by homing my semi modular gear somewhere neat with a single power supply, and a few modulation sources and a way to hook up with my Korg MS-20. However, soon started to realise that, for me, I could achieve similar outcomes, with many more options, with smaller proper eurorack modules. So the swarm gave way to 4ms Ensemble, DFAM to BIA coupled with Mimetic Digitalis, and much more. I'd consider a 2x104hp an optimal starter rack.

I take hybrid approach, using Bitwig as my DAW, using the boredbrain OPTX to integrate DAW with Rack, which just about keeps my at my current rack size.

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks everyone, I´ll think about it calmly :-)

For how I have done this:

Does anything have sense?

Hi,

I´m thinking about racking my DFAM and Quadrantid Swarm but I know nothing about Eurorack. Please help me with this questions:

Thanks!

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2210452.jpg
-- GrumoSound

ok so i have QS and the Taiga, sold Dfam long time ago. Make sure that a rack is well powered with a quality power module or system. Don't connect the Taiga to a Behringer power module !!!!

The Quadrantid Swarm has a reverb tank and so in order not to sacrifice the reverb, you need to be able to fit the reverb tank behind the module. My rack is big so I can actually make the original skiff rest behind it. Make sure you háve enough juice, those are all fantastic synths and it would be a shame to fry any of them becourse of lack of power.

Or just stick to the original skiffs, the power button on qs really is not a big deal, some would even call is just one more thing that can break 😊 good luck, those are kickass synths.

How does the Taiga and the Quadrantid Swarm behave together?

How does the Taiga and the Quadrantid Swarm behave together?
-- GrumoSound

I have not used them together but that opens up many possibillities for sure.

However I remember that the Mother 32 main audio output is quite hot, I used to plug it straight into another filter and with the signal being so strong I was able to drive that filter with some great results. I never checked the output of the Dfam but it's probably the same. So make sure an input on a different module can handle a strong signal. I think the inputs on the Taiga are supposed to be able to handle a lot but I love that synth so I won't take any chances with hot signals anytime soon.

Great, thanks!