Starting out by trying to squeeze the most functionality & versatility I can into a single 84 HP rack. These are modules I hope to slowly acquire. Any thoughts or input are appreciated.
alt text

If HP efficiency was your main concern you could do better than that. But maybe it isn't. What made you choose these modules? Do you have personal experience with them?

VCA?

Thanks for your replies
@wiggler55550 No hands on experience, these are what my online research has led me to. From what I understand, these particular modules are multifaceted in function and could be patched countless ways. Tried to find the modules that i thought would create the widest range of possibilities.

@richc90 Thanks for the input I swapped the Rosie for an Optomix!

Honestly, I would have left the Rosie (mixing with an effect send for the delay, plus audio outs). Also, whilst the Optomix is great -- I rarely get tired of hearing the STO into an LPG --- the Opto is a combined VCF/VCA.

Unless you are absolutely sold on the UHC and that specific delay -- to return to the first comment, why have you selected these modules in particular? --- I would suggest swapping the delay for something like another disting (which has nice delays) + ModDemix. Also, you just have one voice here, so I'd add another VCO.

So, I'd suggest something like: FH-1, Disting, STO, Dixie, uFold 2, Maths, Optomix, ModDemix, Disting, Rosie.

@richc90 Thanks again for your insight. I was impressed by what I had seen of the UHC, it seemed like there were enough ins and outs to created some interesting effects, I saw a video of it being self patched and liked its tinker-ability. Though in this rack maybe there's enough of that present in the Maths. I also have been fixated on an analog BBD for a long time and was trying to incorporate that somehow. But like you said it may be an even stronger configuration to use an external delay patched in through Rosie. I added the Dixie as you recommended but had also considered the use of Disting's oscillator capability as a second voice + STO's sub for a full sound. I was surprised to read that you considered Disting's delays comparable to an analog delay, but that's great news if it is. Do you think Disting's Oscillator is worthy of consideration for that function?

The Disting is like a Swiss army knife, great for all the utility in just one piece. When you find yourself needing one of its many functions all of the time a dedicated module might serve you better. Just one of the many aspects to think about. You could go on forever pondering what might be better or worse. In the end the real, hands-on, experience will tell you what you need to know. I found myself using modules in every patch I had little regard for initially.

Looking forward to the hands on, I've never seen or heard of anyone using modular in my area, so for now its all youtube and google. But a Tip Top HE kit and FH-1 are on their way and I'm excited to build.

@willger55550 Besides Disting, what are some of your "every patch" modules?

The Tiptop uZEUS is a good starter. I still have mine. Do monitor your modules' mA's though and set the jumper accordingly. RTFM. (Funny things will happen once you are coming close to the limit of your PSU. Modules will refuse to start intermittently and are seemingly dead. Others appear stuck or start acting funny after a couple of minutes... That's why it's a good idea to plan for 20-30% more power than your modules add up to. Some have a hefty inrush current.)

Modules I use all the time are multiples (A-180-2 and Mult), the Ladik M-120 Attenuverting Mixer and Uoki Toki 4LFO. All of these pack a lot of needed functionality in a small space which is important in a 6Ux84 case. I used to have 4 mults all patched up and still wanted more. This was much alleviated by a newly aquired A-138m Matrix Mixer. A Disting I don't have but I can see one in my future.

A note on Maths. It's a great module and gets best marks around here. Still I would recommend getting Function. It's a looping envelope with VC-able attack and decay/a slew limiter/LFO/oscillator/S&H/envelope follower /trigger source/whatever, all in 8HP. Which basically means you could build a synth with just a handful of these. Allow a few month to get bored by all of that , then blow twice as much on Maths. Or get a second Function. And, your rack space is precious. Just my 0,02 EUR of course.