Hi guys.

I've scrubbed my lst case asI decided to get the Make Noise 7u one.

ModularGrid Rack

Looking or advice, I'll be getting the case in a coupe of weeks, it's on order from USA.

The top row is the modules I've bought and the ones below are the ones I favour so far to get next, no particular order, just getting them if deals come up. I've done well I think with ones I have bought.

I'm unsure about Make Noise DPO or Instruo Csl, I like the sound of both but would like a different voice in there. I have 0-coast and Strega and also Moog Matriarch.

I need a mixer and was looking at Instruo Lion,.

I'm looking at just having fun with delay, stereo and harmonies etc

Many thanks

I'd probably try to focus on fewer voices. With Plaits, XPO and Cs-L/DPO you've got at least 3 sound sources in there (next to the three semi modulars you mentioned), only one VCF though. A pretty great one, that is. I love my XPO/QPAS combo but QPAS isn't gonna cover all the filtering needs for 3 oscillators. I'd add another stereo/dual VCF and/or a dual LPG like Optomix, LxD or MengQi's DPLPG.
Maths allows for mixing and function generation duties but you might want seperate modules for these tasks and open up Maths for its more sophisticated possibilities.
Mixers: Lion is quite a powerful matrix mixer and aesthetically it's a great match for Make Noise's black and gold line. The way you have to use pin and insert cables isn't for everybody though and might be something to get used to.
X-PAN needs modulation in order to really shine. Btw, I've had some great results modulating XPO, QPAS and X-PAN with Instruo's/DivKid's Ochd. It's only 4 HP wide, too.
Plaits, QPAS and X-PAN each come with a built-in VCA but that may not be enough. Especially if you wanna modulate your modulation which I consider really important in order to make a stereo patch really shine. Or for ping-pong sorta spreading of your left and right channel. Random voltages (noise source -> S&H) makes for some great modulation source as well. Really like to modulate Mimeophon's "zone" and "rate" this way.
I'd probably ditch the complex oscillator in order to make up the needed space for utilities, another VCF and modulation sources. I have an STO sit next to XPO for occassional complex FM patching.

I'd probably try to focus on fewer voices. With Plaits, XPO and Cs-L/DPO you've got at least 3 sound sources in there (next to the three semi modulars you mentioned), only one VCF though. A pretty great one, that is. I love my XPO/QPAS combo but QPAS isn't gonna cover all the filtering needs for 3 oscillators. I'd add another stereo/dual VCF and/or a dual LPG like Optomix, LxD or MengQi's DPLPG.
Maths allows for mixing and function generation duties but you might want seperate modules for these tasks and open up Maths for its more sophisticated possibilities.
Mixers: Lion is quite a powerful matrix mixer and aesthetically it's a great match for Make Noise's black and gold line. The way you have to use pin and insert cables isn't for everybody though and might be something to get used to.
X-PAN needs modulation in order to really shine. Btw, I've had some great results modulating XPO, QPAS and X-PAN with Instruo's/DivKid's Ochd. It's only 4 HP wide, too.
Plaits, QPAS and X-PAN each come with a built-in VCA but that may not be enough. Especially if you wanna modulate your modulation which I consider really important in order to make a stereo patch really shine. Or for ping-pong sorta spreading of your left and right channel. Random voltages (noise source -> S&H) makes for some great modulation source as well. Really like to modulate Mimeophon's "zone" and "rate" this way.
I'd probably ditch the complex oscillator in order to make up the needed space for utilities, another VCF and modulation sources. I have an STO sit next to XPO for occassional complex FM patching.

-- CitizenGain

Thank you for that great reply and help. I have done a new update on case, Again the top ones is the ones I have. I've ditched the Complex Oscillator one. I want to be able to use the Rack on it's own sometimes, thats why I thought maybe that would be good but I would really like the modulation sources as you mentioned first. Space is an issue for me and setting everything up together won't be feasable all the time.
I obviously don't know what I'm doing lol, it won't let me share the new one so here is just an image of it

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2229100.jpg?1681772929

I have put the bottom ones in order I would like to get them. Do you think Rene and Pam's Pro would be a good choice as well.

Would that set up work better now?

I agree you do need a mixer, but what do you want the mixer for??? if you want it for end of chain and/or to have control over levels, then lion is probably not what you should be looking at... & personally for a matrix mixer I wouldn't really look at it - I prefer control over levels and no special loop cables or splitters, which I'd lose - or at the very least be searching a while for... if it really is a matrix mixer you want I'd go for something simpler - like the doepfer one or with vcas like the nonlinearcircuits or 4ms one(s)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I obviously don't know what I'm doing lol, it won't let me share the new one so here is just an image of it

needs to be public - not checked as private!

and I agree completely about less voices - see my signature for hints on balance and "more versatility for less cash"

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Regarding the mixer. As you already have an x-pan, you could stick with the make noise schema for mixing and grab a moddemix to add to the case. I like to use the moddemix and optomix as a sub mixer before inserting it into the aux in on the x-pan. So rather than having 1 large mixing module, you can cascade submixers throughout the case and still have the benefit of the other functionality they add. And as mentioned above, maths is great for this as well.

I agree you do need a mixer, but what do you want the mixer for??? if you want it for end of chain and/or to have control over levels, then lion is probably not what you should be looking at... & personally for a matrix mixer I wouldn't really look at it - I prefer control over levels and no special loop cables or splitters, which I'd lose - or at the very least be searching a while for... if it really is a matrix mixer you want I'd go for something simpler - like the doepfer one or with vcas like the nonlinearcircuits or 4ms one(s)

-- JimHowell1970
Thanks Jim

No, I’m not really after something like a matrix mixer, yes, I would probably lose leads, I’m gathering a lot lol. I just wasn’t sure what to look for in a mixer and want to get something that would do into the future rather than have to buy again and I realise I need to go simpler now. Just looking for something to combine voices, I know the make noise case has a simple one, will this be enough to start? I have changed case now to show a Happy Nerding 4 channel one, would this be more simple to start with.? Appreciated

Regarding the mixer. As you already have an x-pan, you could stick with the make noise schema for mixing and grab a moddemix to add to the case. I like to use the moddemix and optomix as a sub mixer before inserting it into the aux in on the x-pan. So rather than having 1 large mixing module, you can cascade submixers throughout the case and still have the benefit of the other functionality they add. And as mentioned above, maths is great for this as well.
-- WmVoid

Thanks Wm

Checked out the Moddemix and this seems a good idea, yeah think I would like to keep with Make noise stuff now if I can! I want sure if best to get a large mixer or go down different module route but this is wise since I would have other functions, learning all the time lol! My original plan was to get the Shared System but decided to get case and slowly build it myself and maybe change a few things on the way once I gathered more info on Modular and what I want. But I would like to stay close to it but with the new modules like xpan and Mimeophon. Does that make sense

Thanks

I have put the bottom ones in order I would like to get them. Do you think Rene and Pam's Pro would be a good choice as well.
-- Indianabones007

I consider Pam's an essential module for any system. I've got PNW and might upgrade to Pam Pro at some point. When it was released a few months ago it came with lots of firmware quirks but I guess it's mostly stable now after some update releases. Still, I'd probably look out for a used PNW as they've become quite affordable as soon as PPW was released. But that's really just a matter of how much you want to spend. You'd be able to get a PNW + Happy Nerding 4x St Mix (which is great, I've got two in my system) for the price of a PPW. ^^

No experience with René here. From what I've seen and heard in demos it's really powerful and performable but it doesn't really seem immediate to me. As far as I know you can only see one channel at a time and have to switch between channel X, Y and Z in order to see what they're doing, which may be perfectly fine for other people's workflow though. Considering real estate, René and most similarly feature-rich sequencers take up a lot of space, so I decided to outsource my sequencing duties to external gear. Korg SQ-1 and Keystep at the moment. If you get the chance, you should try out some sequencers and find the one that fits your style the most. :)

I consider Pam's an essential module for any system.
-- CitizenGain

I see a couple of PNW's for sale, I don't mind paying the extra if I know I'll get use out of the new functions but they will probabaly be lost on me till I learn more. I'll go for the Happy Nerding 4x St Mix then as well as mixer and if I need more later I can get another.

I'll leave sequencer just now and check some more out, I have enough to work with I think. I have the OXI One at moment but again, was looking for something to work in the rack more but this is not important just now.

What do you think I should get first? Concentrate on the modulation sources (Optomix OCHD and the Black modulator), are these good choices for me? I have enought to get them and PNW and Mixer just now, think that would give me plenty to get working with and keep me busy and a lot to learn.

Really appreciate your help.

-- WmVoid

Thanks Wm

Checked out the Moddemix and this seems a good idea, yeah think I would like to keep with Make noise stuff now if I can! I want sure if best to get a large mixer or go down different module route but this is wise since I would have other functions, learning all the time lol! My original plan was to get the Shared System but decided to get case and slowly build it myself and maybe change a few things on the way once I gathered more info on Modular and what I want. But I would like to stay close to it but with the new modules like xpan and Mimeophon. Does that make sense

Thanks

-- Indianabones007

Yeah I have the Shared System that I've expanded a bit (mostly within the MN ecosystem). I chose to stick with DPO rather than XPO for now as I still haven't gotten all of the good sounds out yet. I have added an xpan and qpas, and plan on mimeophon at some point.

Re: Rene/Seq: Rene + Tempi is my 'preset manager' because you can connect them via Select BUS and they will stay synced as in tempo bank to pattern. Rene as a sequencer is unlike every other sequencer Ive ever used. It really is a cheat code to creating counter point melodies and long musical sequences and variations + modulation source. It has its quirks like not starting on the first note after a reset, but for me the pros outweigh the cons.

For more traditional sequencing, Ive used a mutant brain with digitakt and that gives you 4 v/g outs + 4 clock/gate outs all controllable and recallable from the digitakt. It is very powerful combo plus you get drums and samples outside of the rack. I'm not fully aware of the oxis specs, but it seems very capable as well.

-- WmVoid

I think I'll go with the Optomix and the Moddemix then, sounds good place to start. I have funds for OCHD and Black Modulator and Happy Nerding Mixer as well, do you think these are worth getting just now? If I got them I can then save for Pam's and see if I can pick up a New or a pro depending on availability.

Yeah I have the Shared System that I've expanded a bit (mostly within the MN ecosystem). I chose to stick with DPO rather than XPO for now as I still haven't gotten all of the good sounds out yet. I have added an xpan and qpas, and plan on mimeophon at some point.

Re: Rene/Seq: Rene + Tempi is my 'preset manager' because you can connect them via Select BUS and they will stay synced as in tempo bank to pattern. Rene as a sequencer is unlike every other sequencer Ive ever used. It really is a cheat code to creating counter point melodies and long musical sequences and variations + modulation source. It has its quirks like not starting on the first note after a reset, but for me the pros outweigh the cons.

For more traditional sequencing, Ive used a mutant brain with digitakt and that gives you 4 v/g outs + 4 clock/gate outs all controllable and recallable from the digitakt. It is very powerful combo plus you get drums and samples outside of the rack. I'm not fully aware of the oxis specs, but it seems very capable as well.

-- WmVoid

I think I'll probably end up getting Rene + Tempi, but not the now, I'll use the OXI and see how I go with that, it is great, 8CV and 8 Gate outs. Doesn't have drums like Digitakt though. I think I'll have enough to learn and get on with the rest of the case, which was my plan ayway. Those modules should fill top row.

Can't thank you enough for your help.