Hey all, first time posting here. This page is awesome btw =)

Note: For some reason the auto-generated preview picture is missing some modules, so here's a screenshot instead.
Eurorack idea v2

So I'm a beginner to Eurorack but the idea has been spinning around in my head for quite some time, basically ever since I got started with analog synthesizers a few years ago. Now I'm at the point where I seriously want to get started, but I would appreciate some help in finding the right modules.

My goals:
- Small setup, both to save space and to enforce some limit on myself regarding complexity/spending => Intellijel 4U 62HP case
- Flexible setup, since I don't have "one" preferred style - I just love to experiment. I just need some oscillators, filters, modulation and maybe sprinkle some delay on top.
- Room for expansion, because I probably want to add a module or two later when I'm more familiar with my setup. For now there should be 8-10 HP left in my rack.

My ideas:
- Steppy and Alan - CV sequencers would be helpful to get some nice loops. The "Steppy" provides the basics, while the "Alan" adds randomness when needed.
- Passive LPG - All my other synths use VCAs, so here I'm going with two LPGs instead.
- Rainier - I was first looking at the NANO Quart or Intellijel Quadrax, but the former seems a bit low on control options and the latter is quite large. Then I found the "Rainier" - it's small, has lots of features, and 2 outputs.
- Cascades and Brooks - I first considered the NANO ONA but now moved on to (part of) the After Later Audio COCO series, with the "Cascades" as the main oscillator and "Brooks" as secondary.
- Forbidden Planet - I heard some nice things about this filter and it should be sufficiently different from "typical" VCFs, opening some possibility for experiments. Also with all the COCO outputs, it would be interesting to use the multiple inputs that the "Planet" provides.
- Timber - I wanted more sound-shaping options than just the filter, and what would be a better match for the west-coast LPGs than a wave folder? This one seems nice, doesn't take much space, and has lots of options with not too much complexity (?)
- Basil - Finally, a stereo delay effect to add texture and rhythmic complexity to my patches. It seems to offer a lot in a small package.

My current setup:
- Elektron Digitakt (main controller, drum machine, sometimes basslines)
- Novation Bass Station II (mostly basslines, sometimes glitchy stuff)
- Korg Minilogue xd (basslines, melodies, polyphonic stuff, sometimes microtones)
- Behringer Neutron (whatever I can think of, it's fun to experiment)

Note: The "user" oscillator on my Minilogue runs some Plaits/Tides oscillators with limited control capabilities. For details see my Github project where I added some features to the original code. I would probably consider these in my rack as well, but they're kinda covered already elsewhere in my setup.

My goals:
- Small setup, both to save space and to enforce some limit on myself regarding complexity/spending => Intellijel 4U 62HP case

this is a common mistake - these cases are really too small for anything other than satellite cases for bigger systems or extremely focused single purpose synths...

if your end goal is a tiny case, then start with a bigger case, work out what you actually want in the case and what you need to support those modules and then get the case that you need to house the modules, not the case you think you want and then have to compromise yourself on the modules you use...

one of the main reasons for opting for modular synthesis, whether 'synthesis with modules' or actual 'modular synthesis' or somewhere in between, is to create a custom synthesizer to your needs - and constraining so much regarding the size of the case, is the opposite of this

btw you do know that 1hp = 5.08mm or 1/5" and that 1u = 1.75" or 44.45mm, don't you???

• Flexible setup, since I don't have "one" preferred style - I just love to experiment. I just need some oscillators, filters, modulation and maybe sprinkle some delay on top.

see above... you will not achieve a 'flexible setup' in such a small case, even if you fill it with modules that are too small to use!!!

• Room for expansion, because I probably want to add a module or two later when I'm more familiar with my setup. For now there should be 8-10 HP left in my rack.

hahaha - thar's not room for expansion over a few weeks or months - that's room for expansion for tomorrow once you've realised you have left out something important...

My ideas:
- Steppy and Alan - CV sequencers would be helpful to get some nice loops. The "Steppy" provides the basics, while the "Alan" adds randomness when needed.

steppy is a trigger/gate sequencer... NOT a cv sequencer...

Alan is a turing machine - it will generate random loops of cv

which means no way to generate 'composed' sequences of pitch (there are ways to do this even with a steppy, but not without a dedicated mixer) plus if you want to make 'music' which fits in with other instruments you will almost definitely need a quantizer...

• Passive LPG - All my other synths use VCAs, so here I'm going with two LPGs instead.

I'd want vcas as well... at least a quad...

• Rainier - I was first looking at the NANO Quart or Intellijel Quadrax, but the former seems a bit low on control options and the latter is quite large. Then I found the "Rainier" - it's small, has lots of features, and 2 outputs.

a peaks clone is a great idea...

• Cascades and Brooks - I first considered the NANO ONA but now moved on to (part of) the After Later Audio COCO series, with the "Cascades" as the main oscillator and "Brooks" as secondary.

I think 2 oscillators in this size case is too many... and you probably need more modules to support them... a mixer for example

• Forbidden Planet - I heard some nice things about this filter and it should be sufficiently different from "typical" VCFs, opening some possibility for experiments. Also with all the COCO outputs, it would be interesting to use the multiple inputs that the "Planet" provides.
  • Timber - I wanted more sound-shaping options than just the filter, and what would be a better match for the west-coast LPGs than a wave folder? This one seems nice, doesn't take much space, and has lots of options with not too much complexity (?)
  • Basil - Finally, a stereo delay effect to add texture and rhythmic complexity to my patches. It seems to offer a lot in a small package.

hmm... I suggest some time spent thinking about the contents of my signature...

My current setup:
- Elektron Digitakt (main controller, drum machine, sometimes basslines)
- Novation Bass Station II (mostly basslines, sometimes glitchy stuff)
- Korg Minilogue xd (basslines, melodies, polyphonic stuff, sometimes microtones)
- Behringer Neutron (whatever I can think of, it's fun to experiment)

Note: The "user" oscillator on my Minilogue runs some Plaits/Tides oscillators with limited control capabilities. For details see my Github project where I added some features to the original code. I would probably consider these in my rack as well, but they're kinda covered already elsewhere in my setup.
-- zykure

I take it you have an external mixer for end of chain mixing?

how are you going to raise the levels of the external synths to modular level fir processing?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for taking the time to rely, I appreciate your input! I think you pointed out some things that I wasn't (very) aware of.

this is a common mistake - these cases are really too small for anything other than satellite cases for bigger systems or extremely focused single purpose synths...

Yes, maybe I was too focused on staying small and 62HP is indeed not enough. As an alternative plan, I looked at the Arturia RackBrute 6U with almost 3x the space. (You can find a rack sketch in my profile.)

This might me the perfect size for me actually because it can (for now) fit my Neutron as well. The Neutron supports Eurorack rails and would be a great utility kit for the other modules: 2 VCOs, LFO, VCF, two ENVs, S&H, and even a delay! I can already see that this makes so much sense if I can interface those with my new modules.

Of course the Neutron takes up most of one row, but I can always take it out later when my module collection grows and I need the extra space.

which means no way to generate 'composed' sequences of pitch (there are ways to do this even with a steppy, but not without a dedicated mixer) plus if you want to make 'music' which fits in with other instruments you will almost definitely need a quantizer...

Yes I'm aware of that, maybe I didn't make it clear. My main sequencer is the Digitakt which sends MIDI/CV (and I have a Keystep too.) Hence for now I probably don't need pitch sequencing/quantization in my rack. I was thinking more about having some means of looping CV inputs or envelope triggers that go beyond what an LFO can do. But maybe I'll go with some Marbles clone instead...

Good point, but let's compromise on 2 VCAs + 2 LPGs ;-)

• Cascades and Brooks - I first considered the NANO ONA but now moved on to (part of) the After Later Audio COCO series, with the "Cascades" as the main oscillator and "Brooks" as secondary.

I think 2 oscillators in this size case is too many... and you probably need more modules to support them... a mixer for example

I forgot about a mixer, it's good that you bring it up. As for oscillators: The Brooks interfaces nicely with Cascades and doesn't take much space. I figure that additional VCOs would be great for wave-folding (and also for LFO purposes). But actually, now I'm thinking of ditching the Timber for the Valley by After Later Audio, which is also part of their COCO series.

So you're telling me I need more controls/utilities? I added a bunch in my new rack, and then I'd now also have the Neutron. That ought to be enough for my first steps.

how are you going to raise the levels of the external synths to modular level fir processing?

Yes I run my other synths into an external mixer to get a line out/headphone signal. Eurorack output would plug into that as well. But like you said, I'd want a mixer in my rack for some down mix/level adjustment for sure.

• Room for expansion... there should be 8-10 HP left in my rack.

hahaha - thar's not room for expansion ....
-- JimHowell1970

consider to replace HP with U when thinking about room for expansion :D
just kidding - but 8-10 HP will not be enough.

I looked at the Arturia RackBrute 6U with almost 3x the space. (You can find a rack sketch in my profile.)

I cannot truly express how much I dislike the rackbrutes... I could write whole sentences about it, the main point being the rack wart... why waste 5hp for a power input module??? really the tiptop mantis is a much better case (bigger/better power/no rack wart) for about the same money... get a mantis... or don't...

your linked rack is private, so unviewable

This might me the perfect size for me actually because it can (for now) fit my Neutron as well. The Neutron supports Eurorack rails and would be a great utility kit for the other modules: 2 VCOs, LFO, VCF, two ENVs, S&H, and even a delay! I can already see that this makes so much sense if I can interface those with my new modules.

of those, only the s&h is a utility as far as I'm concerned...

Good point, but let's compromise on 2 VCAs + 2 LPGs ;-)

LPGs are intended for audio, think of the poor modulation... vcas are useful for cv as well as audio... if you are going to skimpon this I'd suggest one of the 2 channel veils clones - so you can get a second one in the future and correct your folly... the ability to cascade is important as it means you also get vc mixing...

So you're telling me I need more controls/utilities? I added a bunch in my new rack, and then I'd now also have the Neutron. That ought to be enough for my first steps.

no, what I'm telling you to do is think very hard about the architecture of synthesizers and what makes modular actually make sense...

for example - if you have just an lfo, an envelope generator, a vco, a vcf and a vca - you have a very very basic monosynth... if you add in some utilities... let's say a simple mixer and a mult and some attenuverters you can mix the waveforms of the vco to create more complex ones before filtering the vco and you can modulate by different amounts the various parameters of the vco, the vcf, and possibly the envelope generator - giving you a much more interesting monosynth for very little extra cash - utilities massively increase the patching potential

can't see them (see above)

won't you be using the neutron as a voice so tying up the components? and see above

Yes I run my other synths into an external mixer to get a line out/headphone signal. Eurorack output would plug into that as well. But like you said, I'd want a mixer in my rack for some down mix/level adjustment for sure.

almost definitely more than 1 mixer (which is why quad cascading vca - ie vc mixer) and some amplification (full size veils clone as it has lots of gain - enough to raise line level to modular level - as well as being a quad cascading vca)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

your linked rack is private, so unviewable

My bad, I was messing with my settings. There's now versions now: The one I referenced in my reply, and a new one that I came up with after thinking a bit more about my options.

The new setup also addresses some things you mention in your last reply. For example, it now has a pretty cool mixer (MISIO) and only one oscillator (ONA). Together with the Neutron stuff I think it's a nice rig. All this thinking about my setup and going back and forth between options at least left me with a pretty good idea of what I want, so that's nice.

I will definitely have a look at the Mantis too! (The TipTop modules are nice and I like their accessible layout.)

Check out BASTL Softpop 2 - It has so much features in little space. -
Also make noise 0-coast

You could take on of them and build your system around it - just adding some utillities.

You can use them also standalone outside of rackspace - so you could take a smaller case only for utillities and pair it with them.

If I would start now from 0 - I would do it that way.

Otherwise

Did you check BASTL Ikarie? - also a nice filter with some tricks on it.

If you get BASTL Basil, you can also switch the firmware to the pizza VCO.
BASTL Pizza has many stuff like FM and waveshaping/wavefolding.
Or get pizza first and try out the basil-firmware later.
You maybe dont need an extra waveshaper/folder module then.

I have the ONA VCO. I like to mix the different waveforms with Befaco Percall.
You can also use it as LFO.

Ornament and Crime or Disting could also be an idea, to try out or to add different functions with little space.
You can use Ornament and Crime, as quad turing maschine, Envelopes, sequencers, quad quantizer and many more.

Greetings

Chris

ok looking a bit better... comments on the last revision only...

MISO is a great addition but primarily as an attenuverter (scale/invert) and offset (both really useful) but mixing on that module to me is an after thought - as you will probably be using the other functions more often for modulation...

are you intending on using the peaks clone for modulation?

what are your intentions for o&c - I find a lot of multi-purpose modules get used for one purpose a lot of the time... if you are intending this as a modulation source I would personally go for a better modulation source - if you are intending on using it for modulation (as well as the peaks) then you might want to consolidate and get a dedicated quad modulation source instead - batumi for example...

the pico trio:

I had a pico seq... to sequence chord progression changes on my sinfonion - hated it... tiny and awkward to use (especially the reset) I wouldn't really recommend any module under 4hp... especially not next to each other unless jacks only or mostly set and forget...

do you really need an output module?? I've never needed one in 7 years... I started with a small in rack panning mixer that had a headphone output built in, then went straight into an external mixer (small yamaha) that was fine with modular levels as a lot of newer mixers are and now use a tesseract tex-mix mixer, which has headphones built in and when I use speakers send the master of that to the yamaha...

I'd seriously lose the pico vca - again - get a full size veils clone!!!! it's a proper investment in your modular!

if you still want the rackbrute keep the lpg - to even up the hp usage, if I remember rightly the rackbrute is a weird 89hp or something...

if you go for the mantis & you should then you can get a bigger lpg... an optomix for example... which have more controls and better ergonomics (see below) and seem to be available again... and I'd also look to add a second vco (possibly another ona) and a better submixer(s) with controls for - possibly something modeled after the moog cp3 - adds a nice bit of grit when driven - AISynthesis Hamonic Mixer for example - I'm considering adding another 1 or 2 analog oscillators and will want to add 2 or 3 of these Harmonix mixers when I do...

ergonomics: newbies often don't realise just how small eurorack modules actually are... 1hp = 5.08mm (or 1/5") - accessibility to modules & controls is important... & your fingers are about 4hp wide... bigger cases and bigger modules are better because of this...

Those are great recommendations, thanks!

I'm looking at a bigger rack now (Mantis 2x 104 HP) that would also fit my Neutron, so my ideas may have changed a bit (see my latest sketch here.)

Check out BASTL Softpop 2 - It has so much features in little space. -
Also make noise 0-coast

I get what you're saying, but right now I don't really want a full "voice" module because one of my motivations was to be, well, modular with my setup. I might come back to one of those if I kick out my Neutron sometime in the future though =)

Did you check BASTL Ikarie? - also a nice filter with some tricks on it.

Will have a look, thanks.

If you get BASTL Basil, you can also switch the firmware to the pizza VCO.
BASTL Pizza has many stuff like FM and waveshaping/wavefolding.
Or get pizza first and try out the basil-firmware later.

Didn't realize it's the same module with different firmware, good to know! How does that work actually, does the Pizza use some DSP? Otherwise I don't see how waveshaping and delay could be done by the same circuit.

I have the ONA VCO. I like to mix the different waveforms with Befaco Percall.
You can also use it as LFO.

The Percall looks cool, and mixer + 4x decay sounds convenient too. With my Neutron I already have an LFO and 2 VCOs so there's no need for that right now. Are you satisfied with the ONA?

Ornament and Crime or Disting could also be an idea, to try out or to add different functions with little space.

Yes I'm thinking that too. Any opinion on Ornament&Crime vs. Marbles? I'm having some concerns about menu-diving on the O&C (also something I want to get away from with modular) so Marbles could be more fun for me. Were you able to try both at some point?

-- MCGM

are you intending on using the peaks clone for modulation?
what are your intentions for o&c

I wanted the Peaks for envelopes and LFO mostly (and some other cool tricks with new firmware). The O&C mostly for some flexible CV modulation, something that can do loops and (semi-) random stuff. But maybe Marbles would be better for that (and no menu-diving there), so I haven't decided that yet. There's some Marbles clones like Pachinko that I like.

the pico trio:
You know, the more often you mention your dislike for small modules the more I get it :D I noticed that a lot of modern modules are very dense, many knobs and stuff in as few HP as possible. Tiptop and Mutable went a different route for example with some of their modules and they seem so much more accessible. And I have big hands too, so maybe I should stay away from Pico stuff.

I think the layout of my Neutron strikes a good balance, it has lots of knobs but they're usable and there's actual space around them.

if you go for the mantis & you should then you can get a bigger lpg... an optomix for example... which have more controls and better ergonomics (see below) and seem to be available again... and I'd also look to add a second vco (possibly another ona) and a better submixer(s) with controls for - possibly something modeled after the moog cp3 - adds a nice bit of grit when driven - AISynthesis Hamonic Mixer for example - I'm considering adding another 1 or 2 analog oscillators and will want to add 2 or 3 of these Harmonix mixers when I do...

The Mantis was a great recommendation, will probably go with that. The Harmonic Mixer also sounds interesting.

As for LPGs and stuff, what's your take on the Doepfner modules? They have a quad-VCA and a dual-LPG/VCA for example (A-101-2 and A-130-2, both have a nice layout too.)

-- JimHowell1970

There's some Marbles clones like Pachinko that I like.

there are full size clones too - you say you have big hands... go for a full size clone!!!

you'll almost definitely want some envelope generators and 'regular' lfos too...

the pico trio:
I think the layout of my Neutron strikes a good balance, it has lots of knobs but they're usable and there's actual space around them.

no idea never seen one in the flesh

The Mantis was a great recommendation, will probably go with that. The Harmonic Mixer also sounds interesting.

yeah... a Mantis was my second case - I often wonder, if I'd been able to buy a mantis 1st if I'd have been able to stick to it - I needed the space to add maths! which is an excellent module btw - particularly because it has so much educational documentation - both in videos and pdf form ('Maths Illustrated Supplement' - download it and read through it even if you don't buy one!!)

As for LPGs and stuff, what's your take on the Doepfner modules? They have a quad-VCA and a dual-LPG/VCA for example (A-101-2 and A-130-2, both have a nice layout too.)

for me the best vca has always been Veils - I have 3 of the originals... it's possible to buy clones of the mk2 version which adds features... I have a doepfer lpg - but it's the single channel 8hp one - I like it!