(Edit: Updated rack setup)

A couple of days ago I posted a proposed 4u 104HP Intellijel rack setup that I'd hoped to use as something portable to experiment with. After considering the advice, I realized that to get something truly useful I would, at least, need to have an external sequencer (which goes against the requirement that it be self-contained).

So now I'm back with another proposed case, specifically the Mantis. With the extra room, I can bring over the Usta sequencer from my desktop rack. I also decided to include some other modules from my main rack.

Along with Usta, the other modules I already own are: PNW, Zadar, Time Warp, Kamieniec, Pro Output, and Wasp.

I've also reduced it to essentially two voices: rhythmic and melodic.

Any comments, advice, or suggestions on the new rack design would be appreciated.

ModularGrid Rack

It's too cramped for my taste. Two filters in a case this size seems unnecessary. I would drop either the Wasp filter or the Belgrad. I'd drop the Utopia and the Flexshaper (too many cramped knobs). I'd drop all the 4hp modules. These modules aren't particularly flexible anyway since they're missing a lot of useful features. Focus on a few larger and more flexible and playable utilities.

With the extra space I'd add Make Noise Maths, Joranalogue Select 2, Happy Nerding 3xMIA, and maybe Joranalogue Compare 2. Since the Joranalogue Select 2 gives you offsets, sample&hold, AND switches, you can also drop the ADDAC215 Dual S&H.

Also, depending on what you want to do with it, I'm not sure you need the uO_c. You've got quantization built into the Usta already. XAOC Batumi would be a much more playable way to bring in more modulation, but honestly you have tons already.

Thanks for the suggestions! The problem with using a larger case for a while then trying to come up with something small, is that you want all of the tools you're used to using but you need to make them fit

I had the two filters just to give me the option of having a choice of filter. I can, though, pull out those two filters and replace it with the Morpheus from my main rack (which would give me plenty of filter options) and that would save me 4hp. I suppose the BIA doesn't really need a filter.

The uO_C is there to provide extra envelopes for modulation. I also have it there as a general toolbox. I do have a Batumi in my main case but I also have the expander module with is 3hp (I'd need to add another odd hp module if I don't want to be left with a 1hp hole taunting me).

I totally agree with getting rid of the Flexshaper. Actually, if I remove that along with the Twin Wave and the Bifold (and combining the space I save with using the Morpheus) I can use that space for a complex oscillator like the Instruo Cs-L or the Cosmotronic Vortex.

As for the amount of modulation, I wanted as much as I could get in there, especially for the NE modules which really do thrive on it.

Well, something to think about.

I actually recently put together a case with similar intentions. Also a small (in my case travel) rack selected from my larger racks. Around the same size too. This was my solution:

ModularGrid Rack

A fan of Joranalogue, I see. I have their Generate 3, which I'm still learning how to use, in my main rack and have considered getting the Filter 8.

I've replace the original rack with a new setup. I tried to make it less cramped.

I replaced several modules starting with the oscillator and replaced it with an Instruo Cs-L. In my main rack I stayed away from complex oscillators since I wanted the functions as discrete modules so that I had more control, but in this case it's nice to have a lot of tools in a somewhat more compact space.

I still have 6hp to fill, but can't decide what to put there. If I go with this setup, I may just leave that blank until I have a better idea of what I need after I've played with it for a while.