Visual Cortex: Basic all in one unit, mixer, keyer, decoder, encoder, ramps, sync generator, etc: Get video in and out and more.
Audio Translator: direct input and/or internal mic external audio visualizer. 5 fixed band pass filters to extract the different frequencies of an audio signal with 3 setting fixed envelopes for fades and stuff

Color TBC: video input device that will take any signal and put it into the lzx system with no need to sync. This may be more of an optional module for you. The visual cortex will sync to an external device but if you want it to be the master sync source the device you input will need to have gen lock abilities. Also, if you are into internal feedback, which I have been heavily experimenting with of late, you will want this

Passage: utility mixer/attenuator type module. This is also optional but you may want to get some cadet crossfaders and or processors to replace it. This will let you take signals, particularly modulation sources and mix them together in a more controlled way than an audio mixer would.

Mapper: crazy color warp man. can do really strange things with colorizing. I have two.

prismatic Ray x2: awesome shaper all round good module, get at least one, but you will want more.

That is a few $100 or your budget but that set up will be really nice and is all available less the vc though the visual cortex restocks are set for November I think

Cadet modules are super. Nice to have. Do lots. If you are handy with the solder, you can make these from the schems Lars provides on the site. I would also recommend building a few each of the differentiators and function generators.

so cool, thanks again man

ok, I understand the basics of the visual cortex and sensory translator.

about the Color TBC, if I understand correctly, I will input an external composite or s-video signal, and get a component signal and sync pulse in return, each by their own, right? that can be handy, I don't own many gear with gen lock capabilities. but I have a rack TBC unit that I have barely used. is it the same? why does it says "LZX Sync cable required"?

about the Passage unit, I can use it like to mix a video signal (one channel of component, not a composite, right?), an audio signal, and a voltage signal from a sequencer, all together, as a voltage sygnal, and get the result of each one mixed with rest?
I can get the exact same result by getting cadet modules myself? that would save some money I guess, but I still would have to buy kits, as I don't think I can get everything needed here

I don't understand shit about the Mapper, but it sounds amazing. what's the input? and what's the output?

about the Prismatic Ray, I understand what's a VCO on audio. it's a little more difficult to understand what it is on video. does this unit even works with video itself? or you generate with this a complex voltage signal than you then input on the passage unit to process a video signal? and that's why you need more than one.

maybe I'm not giving the cadets the credit they deserve. it's all the info available to make them by yourself? you can get all of the components needed on any electronic parts store (I'm sure that's not the way you name that in english)? maybe I can just get the fronts and boards from LZX.

perhaps I can form now just buy one Prismatic Ray, and add cadet modules that can give me more options. what do you think?

thanks!

Yes about the LZX TBC. If the rack tbc you have has genlock input or sync I think it will do the job.

I would probably get some cadet processors and crosfader pcb/panels instead of the passage to cut cost and you can place them around your system better. A cadet scaler or two is not a bad idea for putting audio eurorack gear into the video path but a panel of passive jacks/10k linear pots would work too and in some ways give more control once you get the hang of them.

Any signal in the video synth goes into the mapper and you get crazy "toasting" effects like solarization. Think of stuff you do with the videonics colorizer and make it better(cleaner) with more control.

The vco's give you shapes on one level and modulation sources on another and both at the same time if you want. The prismatic rays are particularly good at making shapes to my taste over the original vwg's but they still have lots of uses too.
I recommended two prismatic rays because I was told the more oscillators the better and after I got several I tend to agree. The prismatic rays can also be used like a keyer in awesome ways.

I think the cadets are the way to go.

I was checking the TBC unit (the back connectors), and I think it only gives me component video. and not RGB. is that possible? anyway, that thing it´s big and heavy as sh*t, I can't be carrying it around. and it would mean I would not have it if I want to bring my system elsewhere (and it's going to be very portable at first, I'm going to buy a single row rack). so I think the LZX TCB is back on...

the thing with the cadets is that they're not that cheap, even purchased like a kit (I'm not sure I can get the different parts here, sadly). a processor costs $90, and the passage its $219. what's best, two cadets or one passage module? I'm guessing the cadet, as it is a triple processor, right?

ok about the mapper, sold! =)

ok, I understand about the prismatic rays function. but that can't be achieved with a similar module but thought for audio? or this one is specifically for video, with sync involved? the frequency generated has to be really high too, right?

ok, two prismatic rays units sound like the way to go. I just have to see if I can affoard it...

and what about that video logic unit? I saw Lars started a batch again. do you have any?

btw, this is almost exactly the set I had in mind, lol. I was just not including the prismatic rays...

thanks again!

You are correct about the higher frequency range of the prismatic ray. There are other uses for them too like "keying" that you would need a video keyer for that is currently out of stock and the prismatic rays do much more and key differently.
Here is some links to where I am using the pr as a keyer:

I don;t have a logic module but think about getting one. I will say, you can find the audio equivalent of the logic and scale it whereas the prismatic ray, not too sure

Here is simple just cortex and prismatic ray with audio modules