Hi all,

I am completely new to modular and hoping for some guidance from you more experienced folk. I'm looking to build my first synth in this format and wondering what the basics are to get something to 'work'?

Thanks

This actually has all of the basics, although you might find it useful to look into a smaller LFO module. That Fonitronik is huge, and takes up room for some other modules that could push the build a lot further. 1 x 84 isn't much space, so shrinking things down as much as possible is important. Alternately, you could also look into a larger case if you've not acquired this one pictured yet. That would open up space for a couple of other VCOs (important for getting things to sound 'fatter'), maybe some waveshaping to dirty up the sound a bit, a few useful utilities such as mixers, mults, and the like, and also a few more VCAs to enable control over both audio and CV levels.

But as a base-level emulator for a 303...yeah, it's got that covered.

Consider the following major revision:

ModularGrid Rack

I've kept the sequencer, filter, reverb, delay and output. I've replaced your LFO, oscillator, VCA and envelope with two oscillators, a dual VCA and a dual envelope. I've also added a multiple and a mixer. Good on you for thinking to put in an output module by the way...a lot of people don't think of that and it's a good thing to have.

By swapping the LFO out for a fully featured oscillator, you get the option to use the second oscillator as an LFO or as an audio source. The multiple is added so you can have both oscillators follow the same CV if you're using both for audio. You can use the mixer either to mix the two oscillators, or if you're not using it to mix oscillators you can use it to mix control voltages. This really isn't a big enough system to really warrant a voltage-controlled envelope, so I swapped that out for a dual envelope generator. Finally, I swapped out the single VCA for a dual VCA.

I don't know whether or not the case you're looking at includes a power supply, but if it does make sure it supplies enough power and has enough connectors (8 connectors for the system as you laid it out, 10 for the system as I laid it out). If you don't have a power supply, you'll need to sacrifice the effects modules (the reverb and delay) in order to have space to put in a 4HP power module.

Not bad...but yeah, the cab will need to be a powered one if you stick with this size. Also, the output module's a couple hp wide in this. My suggestion: Ladik A-540. Also stereo to 1/4", plus you get a little level meter on there.

I still think that going to something larger, such as a Tiptop Mantis or an Arturia Rackbrute 6U, would be a good move, tho...

I like the revised version, m1sterlurk. You improved it quite a bit. Are you still looking to change things up or did you settle with that?